Windows 7 Kills Snow Leopard and Eats It

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Any ideas about what it would take for a new OS to become equally popular as Windows??
DirectX and gaming support. That is the only area I see OS X lags behind Windows. Otherwise, IMO OS X is superior to Windows in every other respect (ok, no OS wars. Thats my opinion!).

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
DirectX and gaming support. That is the only area I see OS X lags behind Windows. Otherwise, IMO OS X is superior to Windows in every other respect (ok, no OS wars. Thats my opinion!).
That's not your opinion because it has been influenced by the lines of white PCs in your institute labs ;) :D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
That's not your opinion because it has been influenced by the lines of white PCs in your institute labs ;) :D
Not true. I've always been a UNIX fan. Whether at home or school I prefer UNIX systems. Sadly I'm stuck with a Windows machine at work :(

[Btw, there are no Macs in my lab, only the library and the kiosks, since OS X is not opensource and nobody would buy Macs to install Linux on them exclusively for grad school work :D]

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Not true. I've always been a UNIX fan. Whether at home or school I prefer UNIX systems. Sadly I'm stuck with a Windows machine at work :(
atleast tell me its not vista :p
[Btw, there are no Macs in my lab, only the library and the kiosks, since OS X is not opensource and nobody would buy Macs to install Linux on them exclusively for grad school work :D]
what about making the systems look like OS X? .. I wonder if there is any software available for that :thinking: :twisted:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
atleast tell me its not vista :p
Fortunately its not! All Vista machines haf been formatted and replaced with Windows XP. You can actually see the vendor-supplied Vista disks thrown in the bin!

what about making the systems look like OS X? .. I wonder if there is any software available for that :thinking: :twisted:
Haha... unfortunately, normal users can't install ui-engines [which is required for a certain 'look alike OS X' installation :D].

I_no

__________ ___ __

*developer.apple.com/Darwin/
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)
Much of the OS X is open source.
I know that OS X is basically based on BSD with UI enhancements and Apple's proprietary API. Its just that it is so closely tied to apple's hardware that apple can test every piece of hardware for it and make sure that there is no incompatibility issues which plaque windows and was one of the reasons for windows vista's epic failure and also one reason why linux is not taking off in the mainstream.

And about OSX becoming as popular as windows, its real strength lies in its stability which is because its so closely tied to the hardware. If it has to support the myriad of hardware that windows does, then things won't look as green for it.

You said it will need support for directx but that i see, may not be the requirement, if openGL can really grab its superiority back.
What are your thoughts about openGL becoming what it was, again??

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
*developer.apple.com/Darwin/
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)
Much of the OS X is open source.
I know that OS X is basically based on BSD with UI enhancements and Apple's proprietary API. Its just that it is so closely tied to apple's hardware that apple can test every piece of hardware for it and make sure that there is no incompatibility issues which plaque windows and was one of the reasons for windows vista's epic failure and also one reason why linux is not taking off in the mainstream.

And about OSX becoming as popular as windows, its real strength lies in its stability which is because its so closely tied to the hardware. If it has to support the myriad of hardware that windows does, then things won't look as green for it.

You said it will need support for directx but that i see, may not be the requirement, if openGL can really grab its superiority back.
What are your thoughts about openGL becoming what it was, again??
1) If I wanna run Darwin, I'd rather run a GNU system on FreeBSD kernel :)
2) I never compared the stability or anything among OS X/Linux/Windows :)
3) OpenGL is an open standard. While I am not against it, I commend MS for making DirectX a developer-friendly SDK (not that OpenGL doesn't do it, developers haf inherently gone for DX).

I_no

__________ ___ __
1) If I wanna run Darwin, I'd rather run a GNU system on FreeBSD kernel :)
2) I never compared the stability or anything among OS X/Linux/Windows :)
3) OpenGL is an open standard. While I am not against it, I commend MS for making DirectX a developer-friendly SDK (not that OpenGL doesn't do it, developers haf inherently gone for DX).

You seem to have misunderstood me.
1)I never said you needed to run darwin:smile:, i only corrected your statement.
2)I never referred to your statements, it was my personal opinion about my own question.:)
3)This point i would like you to enlighten me upon. I am not a developer or anything but since you know a lot about these things, i want to know how is it going to be in coming days in DirectX vs. OpenGL. Also would like to understand how is OpenCL going to turn out in coming days.

I think I should start a new thread for these queries :rolleyes:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
You seem to have misunderstood me.
1)I never said you needed to run darwin:smile:, i only corrected your statement.
2)I never referred to your statements, it was my personal opinion about my own question.:)
3)This point i would like you to enlighten me upon. I am not a developer or anything but since you know a lot about these things, i want to know how is it going to be in coming days in DirectX vs. OpenGL. Also would like to understand how is OpenCL going to turn out in coming days.

I think I should start a new thread for these queries :rolleyes:
1) I understand that. What I was saying is that Mac OS X (and related technologies like Cocoa) are not opensource. Those are what are most sought after, right? :) The underlying BSD sub-system can be had anytime by installing FreeBSD (which I already run on my laptop alongwith almost all the OS' out there).
2) Yes of course :)
3) I'm no person to predict DirectX vs. OpenGL in the coming days but the trend has always favored DX. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, tho.

About openCL, thats gonna revolutionize! I am working on a mobile device which supports openCL. Can't give out much details, but with raw graphics power at your disposal it would be a waste not to utilize it. Apple already has the necessary stuff built in in 10.6. nVidia and ATi will soon release SDKs for all the platforms. So expect to see a lot of openCL/CUDA accelerated stuff, whether is Snow Leopard or Windows 7 or iPhoneOS or Windows Mobile or Android, or whatever platform it is!

utsav

damn busy...
Lmao. Maybe max shud see ur previous threads 4 more info abt mac4lin :lol:
@max demon .hadd kardi be tune :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom