Windows 7 failing HDD (restarting repeatedly)

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
For the past week, my machine with Windows 7 x64 on it is restarting when I am doing something worth, for eg. writing a program for assignments or playing a game. I am still able to watch movies/videos/surf over the internet continually for n-amount of time(without using my keyboard/mouse), but whenever I am trying to do something(sometimes, replying to certain questions on stackexchange) the screen goes blank for a small amount of time, and in less than 3 seconds, the machine restarts.

I first thought it to be over-heating problem(as the temperature has risen here a lot) so I opened the cabinet and cleaned the whole machine. This has increased the stability to some extent. Now I am able to do the aforementioned tasks for a little longer, but even now, I can hear the particular beep sound which hard disk makes when its buffer is lost or the connection interrupted. And then the system restarts.

My only other thought is that the keyboard is having some problem(as I am able to do anything not involving key presses), so I got a different keyboard from a friend of mine. The problem is still there. :(

Any help/comment regarding this problem will be appreciated. I bought ZX 650W power supply quite recently(2/3 months ago) and my graphics card is nVIDIA 9600 GS(which gains a temperature of nearly 52 deg. Celsius while booting)

P.S.: I asked this question on StackExchange too.

P.P.S.: This might be Hardware QnA. I am still unsure.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
check the HDD for bad sectors .. check the memory modules using memtest app.

Tech&ME

Banned
Use Seatools if you have a Seagate HDD or use WD lifeguard diagonostic

And Scan your hdd. [boot from the CD]

OP
hjpotter92

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
Use Seatools if you have a Seagate HDD or use WD lifeguard diagonostic

And Scan your hdd. [boot from the CD]
I have both WD and Seagate. (1x320 GB WD and 2x2 TB Seagate). I am using WD as my OS drive. On downloading and running WD Lifeguard, the application is unable to detect my WD drive. It is able to detect the presence of both Seagate drives(when one is connected via IDE to USB converter).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
connect and test only one HDD at a time - do this for all of the theree HDDs you have.

Check the ram modules - use memtest.

The new PSU may have issues - what's the manufacturer name of the PSu ?? if possible try with a different PSU.

Post a hwinfo sensor screenshot.

Tech&ME

Banned
I have both WD and Seagate. (1x320 GB WD and 2x2 TB Seagate). I am using WD as my OS drive. On downloading and running WD Lifeguard, the application is unable to detect my WD drive. It is able to detect the presence of both Seagate drives(when one is connected via IDE to USB converter).

you can use the Seatools CD to scan the WD hdd :wink:

Just remember connect only ONE hdd at a time and scan.

Also, I would like to know the following :

1. How many partitions do you have in your WD OS drive ?

2. Why are you using IDE to USB converter ?

3. Is your WD OS drive SATA II ?

OP
hjpotter92

hjpotter92

The Boy Who Lived
you can use the Seatools CD to scan the WD hdd :wink:

Just remember connect only ONE hdd at a time and scan.

Also, I would like to know the following :

1. How many partitions do you have in your WD OS drive ?

2. Why are you using IDE to USB converter ?

3. Is your WD OS drive SATA II ?
The partition info is here:

*i.imgur.com/vgwGD.jpg

Using IDE to USB converter because of excessive heating inside the cabinet(and cluttering of wires too)

Here are HDD Model details:

Model: WDC WD3200AAJS-56B4A0
Serial Number: //MOD EDIT [Do Not Mention Serial Number Publicly. No One Has Nothing To Do With It]

Also, it seems like the problem has been solved(I only did the good ol' chkdsk on all the drives).

Thanks for all the help. Will post result of memtest soon.

Top Bottom