Windows 2003 server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

champ_rock

champ_rock
hi

i was planning to install windows 2003 server instead of the windows xp just because got bored with XP and did not have the horsepower to run vista ;p

please tell me the following:
1. what is the speed of windows 2003 compared with XP
2. what is the graphical interface like
3. which one is more secure
4. can i operate it without using the server functionality in it? Cos dont plan to start a server
5. is it light on memory usage than XP?
6. r all programs compatible with it?

thanks

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
1. what is the speed of windows 2003 compared with XP

Its faster becasue it a Server OS, and it concetrate on Background services more than the running service, there looks faster...

2. what is the graphical interface like

Default interface is like windows xp with all graphics option turned off...

3. which one is more secure

Both... when u know how to make it secure, but in sense, they are made for different reason, u are not expected to run Server 2003 as a desktop OS...

4. can i operate it without using the server functionality in it? Cos dont plan to start a server

sure u can, but not recomended, u may face few problem with GUI as all defaulkt graphics, sound options are in default turned off, u have to put a lot of effort to turn those services back on again to run it like WIndows XP

5. is it light on memory usage than XP?

Once again, cant be answer like that, as i said it concetrate more on Back ground services as default, but when u customise to run the services to oparate as Widnows xp or rather DeskTop os, it will comsume more or less same memory as Windows XP..

6. r all programs compatible with it?

all most all of them are, exept Antivirus software, Firewalls, Internet Secirity type softwares...

Hope i am able to give what u need :p

dissel

Cyborg Agent
champ_rock said:
hi

i was planning to install windows 2003 server instead of the windows xp just because got bored with XP and did not have the horsepower to run vista ;p
thanks

Dude I am sorry to say ... if the reason was that then why don't you try any linux distro..
Even this digit forum will fully capable to support(provide help/answer your query) you on linux matter.

By default win 2003 server looks like as windows 2000 edition...There are many option available to configure...
As earlier stated many Anti-Virus program simply refuse to install because they need a sever edition.
I load it earlier in my machine which was a P4 1.5 ghz with 256 DDR ram during my MCSA classes.

To get the Win XP look you need to start "theme service" from service console ,by default it disabled and also configure the behavior from "Windows Performance" tab.

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
@dissel - i have already got ubuntu linux installed on my second partition :)

@ saurav- thanks, changed my mind to install 2003 server :)

P

priyadarshi

champ_rock said:
@dissel - i have already got ubuntu linux installed on my second partition :)

@ saurav- thanks, changed my mind to install 2003 server :)

nice choice. i'm using 2003 with avg on my 800mhz p3 and found it faster than any other os i tried earlier. ubuntu is great too.

P

priyadarshi

priyadarshi said:
nice choice. i'm using 2003 with avg on my 800mhz p3 and found it faster than any other os i tried earlier. ubuntu is great too.

I upgraded my system recently to Pentium IV
Dual Core 1.6Ghz (E2140)
Intel DG965RY
Transcend DDR2 667Mhz 1GB

And found that Intel desktop board don't support Server Operating System. Pentium III was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom