win xp update service packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahendran

Journeyman
dear friends,

i am using win xp pro and installed sp1 using automatic update.now i want to format.how can i save this update,i.e sp1 before format so that i neednot update again.

further what is the difference between bootable win xp cd and the installation cd.if it is different how to create a bootable win xp cd?

[deXter]

Journeyman
What are you still doing with SP1?!?!? Forget SP1, get SP2! Its also available with the september issue of Digit..

Also, theres no difference between bootable win xp cd and installation cd, it is the same thing. That is of course, if you have an original (legal) cd. If you have a pirated CD however, it may or may not be bootable. You can check it by inserting the cd in your comp, and restarting the comp. If at the bootup you get a message saying "Press any key to boot from CD..." then you have a bootable cd. Of course, a more faster and better way to check if your cd is bootable is by looking at if from isobuster (www.isobuster.com)

If you want to make a bootable XP cd, then you'll need to extract the bootsector (using IsoBuster) from your Original XP CD, and save it as say, boot.bin or similar. Now you can use Nero, choose CDROM (boot) profile, provide the bootfile, and chooose No Emulation, sectors as 4 and you can burn the disk. But you can also use a UltraISO to create bootable CDs in a more easier way (*www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/index.html)

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
yeah don't try to backup the SP1 u downloaded... just install Sp2 directly... it will update ur system with all updates...

u can get sp2 from Digit DVD/CD or just place a FREE of CHARGE order at MS homepage...

rest answered by dear [deXter] ;-)

happy installation.. ;-)

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
No need to backup SP1. Just install SP2. If u don't want to reinstall SP2 every time u reinstall XP, then slipstream SP2 into XP itself. Go here for details : *www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=94

OP
M

mahendran

Journeyman
dear friends,

thanks for the advice.however my main question is not answered.i.e, is there a way of saving the update? this is only just to know

rajat22

In the zone
What update you want to save? After format, reinstall windows, install SP 2 (Not SP 1). All your updates are reinstalled automatically. For newer updtes, visit v5.windowsupdate.com

[deXter]

Journeyman
Method 1:
-----------

The standard Microsoft way of saving your updates would be:

* Visit the Windows Update Web site: *windowsupdate.microsoft.com
* Click Personalize Windows Update.
* Select the Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also check box.
* Click Save Settings.
* A Windows Update Catalog link appears under See Also.
* Click the Windows Update Catalog link.
* Click Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
* Click the appropriate product, and then click Search.
* Click Critical Updates and Service Packs.
* Locate the patch you want, and then click Add.
* Click Go to download basket. In the Type or browse to the download location of your choice box, type the full path for the folder in which you want to save the patch. Or, click Browse to browse to the folder. Click Download Now.

Method 2:
-----------

Another method to save the patch locally is to install the update 'as usual' from the Windows Updates page. Once the copy process is complete and the Install process is about to begin, look for the WUTemp folder in C:\ (or whatever drive you've installed Windows). This is the destination folder used by Windows Updates to save the hotfix. The hotfix will be deleted automatically once installed. Therefore, copy the WUTEMP directory contents to a new folder, while the install process has just started.

Method 3:
------------

After the updates have all been downloaded, you can check your Temporary Internet Files folder (cache). Arrange by Internet Address, and you can easily make out your update files. Copy them and paste it to some folder/drive of your choice.

Method 4:
-----------

This method totally bypasses downloading via Windows Update (browser)
- hence you can download the files using your favourite download manager. Generally, all download managers are configured to ignore downloads from the Microsoft site, which is why they dont automatically catch the links. Generally, that option to ignore the MS site is under Monitoring/Ignore settings or something like that (just browse through your download manager's options). After deleting the Microsoft entry, close your browser(if open) and restart your download manager. Now when you go to the windows update site and try to download the updates, your download manager should pick it up.
---Method 4b:
In case your download manager doesn't catch the links, then you'll need to manually add the links. To extract the links from your browser, you'll need a proxy server program. You can use Naviscope or HTTP Interceptor to intercept/look at your HTTP Requests headers. For eg, your HTTP Request header for loading a gif from some site might look like this:

Code:
GET *vbwire.com/images/VBWire-ani.gif HTTP/1.1
Host: vbwire.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10
Accept: image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Referer: *www.siliconwold.com/interceptor/interceptor_home.htm
In this case, you can easily get the url of the gif by looking at the first line. (*vbwire.com/images/VBWire-ani.gif). Similarly, you can look at the headers while downloading from the microsoft site, and get the urls, copy paste them into your download manager, and download them.

Method 5:
-----------

There is a program called as WUtooL that allows you to save the updates that are downloaded to a specified folder. If you keep WUtooL while visiting windowsupdate.com, it will automatically save a copy of the files that you download, so they can be used again.

-----

Generally, I always prefer using Method 4, since I can download using my download manager, and hence I can pause, resume, download later, etc, so I have more flexibility and control over the Update downloads. But if you prefer downloading using IE, then Method 5 would be most suitable for you. If you have missed some earlier updates/downloads, then you can use Method 1, the Microsoft Method.

© *img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

casanova

The Frozen Nova
ya go sp2. integrate sp2 with xp using the cmmandline paremeter
e:\sp2\sp2.exe -s:e:\winxp
make sure the files r on ur hard disk
make a bootable cd using nero. create bootable data cd. add the winxp files click next. add the image files from a bootable floppy. (right click floppy disk, create ms-dos startup disk to make a bootable floppy).
while performing setup run winnt.exe from the i386 folder and get to ur way

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
mahendran said:
further what is the difference between bootable win xp cd and the installation cd.if it is different how to create a bootable win xp cd?

Let me put it this way, every bootable WinXP cd is an installation CD but not vice versa. So, you might burn all the setup files on to a CD to create an install disc, but it may not be bootable. You want to create a bootable WinXP CD, copy the setup files to your HDD (preferably integrate SP2 with it) and then get yourself a copy of xpboot.bin from the Net and use Nero's BootCD creation option to burn yourself a bootable CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom