Win 7- Genuine or pirated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
R

rborahsbi

Right off the assembly line
Thanks Ponmayilal & Neerajvohrs. We have not used windows activation tool but turn on automatic update. We are using BSNL Broadband connection and the updates install successfully. We did it yesterday i.e. 24th May night and till now 9 PM of 25th May, we have not faced any difference in our OS nor any warning from MS regarding our OS's piracy found. So we think the vendor (retailer) installed a Genuine OS. But anyway nice discussions and we assure all that if we get confirmation about our OS Piracy we will buy a genuine one whatever the price may be. As to clear u Ponmayilal, we have not asked the retailer to install Win 7, in fact we even did not know if the laptop would come preinstalled with any version of Window or Linux. We were really shocked to see the new and most wanted OS in our laptop.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^ Thanks for your detailed explanation. Of course, much of it went over my head due to my natural aversion to piracy of any sort and any thing connected - though we are not discussing the how-to part of it.

"Windows 7 Ultimate has been cracked, and can be permanently activated with OEM SLP Master Product Key (with SLIC 2.1)" - this news flashed all over the internet around July 2009 end.

But closely following this there was also a news that Microsoft may block that particular OEM-SLP product key "probably via WGA validation process (now together with Windows Product Activation or WPA is known as Windows Activation Technologies or WAT), according to Genuine Windows blog."

Since it is almost 10 months now, I am sure Microsoft would have taken counter-measures to prevent any such pirated Windows 7 being passed as genuine through this route.

We shall wait for rborasbi to let us know his experience (provided he is a genuine " Right Off the Assembly Line". :smile:)
If one key is blocked another is leaked. There is no end to this police-criminal chase. MS cannot block all the OEM keys and to-date this has been one of MS' headache in countering piracy!

Ponmayilal

Attitude matters
^ I agree. Its always a cat and mouse game with hackers whose mindset is to challenge, defy and show their one-upmanship. :smile:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^ I agree. Its always a cat and mouse game with hackers whose mindset is to challenge, defy and show their one-upmanship. :smile:

Yes, and top of it if MS blocks those OEM keys then thousands of computers that Dell, Lenovo etc. shipped need to be reset for the new key which is an impossible task.

Anyway, hope the OP has found the answer to his question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom