Win 7 default backup software error

rohit0571

Journeyman
I had made an image backup with Macrium Reflect Free edition of my Win7 on another HDD (40 GB of WD) which was regularly connected to my 1TB HDD (seagate).

2 days back when I started my PC it showed me bootmgr is missing and asked me to restart the PC. Then I tried to copy the bootmgr file from the Win7 DVD but it showed "access denied". Then I disconnected the other 40GB HDD from the mobo and amazingly it worked. For checking I again connected it to mobo and got the same bootmgr missing error.

Now my PC is working without any problem but I want to know the following:

1. Why does it show the bootmgr error on connecting the 40GB HDD?
2. Due to the above error, image on 40GB HDD cannot be put back on my PC, how to solve it in future?
3. Why was the image was not recognized by Win7 on 40GB, can it be due to the fact that it was not made by Win7 and made by Macrium Reflect Free edition ?
4. As it is a Gig mobo, how to use Express Recovery software by Gig and is it better than System image?

Now, when I try to make an image on my HDD D: drive using Win7 but when I tried to save the image on D drive, it did'nt showed D: drive on it.

*imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/11/nobackupdrive.jpg
*imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/689/56576933.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R

rohit0571

Journeyman
I had made an image backup with Macrium Reflect Free edition of my Win7 on another HDD (40 GB of WD) which was regularly connected to my 1TB HDD (seagate).

2 days back when I started my PC it showed me bootmgr is missing and asked me to restart the PC. Then I tried to copy the bootmgr file from the Win7 DVD but it showed "access denied". Then I disconnected the other 40GB HDD from the mobo and amazingly it worked. For checking I again connected it to mobo and got the same bootmgr missing error.

2. Due to the above error, image on 40GB HDD cannot be put back on my PC, how to solve it in future?
3. Why was the image was not recognized by Win7 on 40GB, can it be due to the fact that it was not made by Win7 and made by Macrium Reflect Free edition ?
4. As it is a Gig mobo, how to use Express Recovery software by Gig and is it better than System image?

Now, when I try to make an image on my HDD D: drive using Win7 but when I tried to save the image on D drive, it did'nt showed D: drive on it.

*imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/11/nobackupdrive.jpg
*imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/689/56576933.jpg

Can't anyone help......

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
check your bios boot options.most likely when you start your system with any usb device connected it tries to boot from that device hence the missing bootmgr error(only bootable devices have a bootmgr).btw to restore image you need to boot from a bootable media created by the imaging program(macrium in your case).

gameranand

Living to Play

1. Because whenever you connect it then it gets the priority as Boot Drive. You can change it from BIOS.
2. Already answered in 1.
3. Maybe, maybe not. I am not sure about that.
4. Best thing is to use System Image, although I don't prefer that either, as for me I prefer clean reinstall if I face any deal breaker problem.

OP
R

rohit0571

Journeyman
1. Because whenever you connect it then it gets the priority as Boot Drive. You can change it from BIOS.
2. Already answered in 1.
3. Maybe, maybe not. I am not sure about that.
4. Best thing is to use System Image, although I don't prefer that either, as for me I prefer clean reinstall if I face any deal breaker problem.

Thanks for answering. I formatted the 40GB HDD which had the image and restarted the PC and it is now working.

Now I think I should use some other image creating software to help me out in future. Can you suggest any?
Pls also tell does all the images / backups created are recognized by WIn7 and do we have to boot the PC from that place where the backup image is kept in order to install the image on a partition?

Now my PC is not connecting to internet. I checked all the settings and also called the MTNL engineer who tried to repair the problem but as per him the modem is working fine but the PC is not able to receive broadband signals but it is able to send signals. As he showed me here:

*imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/542/broadbanderror.jpg
*imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/545/41555652.jpg

Please help again....

gameranand

Living to Play
1. Like I said most of them works just fine. I think the one from Norton would be better.
2. Most of them recognizes Windows 7.
3. I am not much a expert here, please ask in Networking section or ask whitestar, he has better knowledge about networking and related stuff.

My suggestion to you would be do do a proper clean reinstall of the OS if nothing helps. Also for image backup. I don't use any, I mean even if they restore my system then also I use to have some problems after some days of use so I just ditched them and now when any problem arises which can't be rectified easily then I prefer a clean reinstall of OS. :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it seems like you don't know much about imaging.macrium reflect free edition is one of the most recommended free software for imaging along with easeus todo free & paragon back & rescue free.most imaging software creates image in their own file format which other softwares can't recognize(including windows 7) & to restore C drive you have to boot your pc from a bootable cd/pen drive created by that imaging software.after booting you just have to give the path to your image of the drive(in this case image of C drive) to restore & obviously this image can exist anywhere(usb drive,portable hdd etc) except in the drive which is going to be restored(in this case again C drive).in your case what you had to do was boot your system normally then open installed macrium reflect & in its option select "create rescue/boot cd" etc to create a bootable cd.after that you would boot the system from this boot cd & then macrium will load & ask for image location to be restored.at this point you would connect your 40gb portable hdd & give the path to the image you created.macrium will then select the image from 40gb hdd & ask to select the drive to restore.sometimes the drives shown have numbering different from usual windows so instead of letter see size to confirm(e.g.C may be shown as D but if you know size of C then you won't be confused).

in the end my advice is get some experience first by creating/restoring image at least 3-4 times on a test pc/laptop(assume the worst so don't leave any important data in hdd) or else you will be posting here again.:)

OP
R

rohit0571

Journeyman
it seems like you don't know much about imaging.macrium reflect free edition is one of the most recommended free software for imaging along with easeus todo free & paragon back & rescue free.most imaging software creates image in their own file format which other softwares can't recognize(including windows 7) & to restore C drive you have to boot your pc from a bootable cd/pen drive created by that imaging software.after booting you just have to give the path to your image of the drive(in this case image of C drive) to restore & obviously this image can exist anywhere(usb drive,portable hdd etc) except in the drive which is going to be restored(in this case again C drive).in your case what you had to do was boot your system normally then open installed macrium reflect & in its option select "create rescue/boot cd" etc to create a bootable cd.after that you would boot the system from this boot cd & then macrium will load & ask for image location to be restored.at this point you would connect your 40gb portable hdd & give the path to the image you created.macrium will then select the image from 40gb hdd & ask to select the drive to restore.sometimes the drives shown have numbering different from usual windows so instead of letter see size to confirm(e.g.C may be shown as D but if you know size of C then you won't be confused).

in the end my advice is get some experience first by creating/restoring image at least 3-4 times on a test pc/laptop(assume the worst so don't leave any important data in hdd) or else you will be posting here again.:)

Thanks for the info. I will try it today.

OP
R

rohit0571

Journeyman

I did as you said above, but after downloading the 1.67 GB image file I went 1 step ahead and it showed me this error. This PC does not have internet access.

*img15.imageshack.us/img15/250/imagekpdm.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
macrium(& other backup softwares) offers 2 types of rescue cd image:
1.win PE based(based on windows so more compatible & has more drivers for special hardware setups like raid etc)
2.linux based(based on linux so smaller in size & less driver support but should work for 99% of average home user systems).

since win PE based image is based on windows it needs you to have windows AIK installed on your system.windows AIK for windows 7 is ~1.7gb:
Download Windows® AIK for Windows® 7 from Official Microsoft Download Centre

you can try the linux based image option first to test.if it works for your system then no need to download 1.7gb iso image.

Top Bottom