Will the Wii rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

In the zone
Looking at the phenomenal response that the Nintendo Wii got in E3, it looks like the Wii is a serious contender against MS & Sony. What I like about Nintendo is that they are trying new things instead of the same old wine in the new bottle approach. Seriously how many people believe that games have improved in the last five or six years. Better graphics just doesn't translate to better games. As far as I am concerned, I don't see much of a difference between the games that I played 5-6 years ago to the ones that i get to play today. Except for the improved graphics, fundamentally they remain the same.

I seriously hope Sony & MS get whacked by Nintendo so that they wake up & give up something new instead of the 'recycle & rehash the same crap & put a new price tag' strategy. The PS3 & Xbox 360 are good. No offense to fans, but seriously aren't these the technologically improved versions of the things that we have had for many years now?.

Any views?.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^I think He meant the earlier Nintendo consoles.;)

As far as Nintendo is concerned I had left its gaming rigt from the day when the Playstation had arrived.I ain't a Sony fanboy or any particular console fanboy as such.Its just that I have great faith in Sony as they have delivered more than amazing experience over the past decade as far as gaming is concerned.Both its versions were a massive hit and thats the fact.The reason Nintendo isnt much widely accepted by masses is because they push their patented Mario franchise over the top along with a few handful of picky titles like RE4 and Metroid Prime for the Gamecube.I dont say that these titles are less popular,Heck I am myself a crazed Mario fan.:cool:
But the point is there are Many other titles which the rival companies are getting their hands and are enticing audiences.I remember there was a time when GTA:SA was announed as a PS2 exclusive titles and there were so many fans who were willing to buy the PS2 just for this one title.Not to mention even the Resident Evil 4 which was developed by capcom and made a Gamecube exclusive had to shift onto the PS2 and PC by banking on its huge popularity.
Wii has a unique design and the controller seems to be gathering much more hoopla.Its popularity would eventually depend on the audiences reactions after its release.Before that,predicting "SONY Would Rock" and "Nintendo would ROCK" would be like predicting the outcome of a Soccer game in its Half time.:D
Seriosuly speaking I dont care which console wins or looses but it should be noted that it gives us what we want and that is promised Next gen Gaming.

borg said:
I seriously hope Sony & MS get whacked by Nintendo so that they wake up & give up something new instead of the 'recycle & rehash the same crap & put a new price tag' strategy
Dude recycle and rehash as in What?
The design or the Hardware specs or what?
AFAIK the PS one looked completely different as compared to the PS2.Though their Dual Shock controllers had been retained there was no freaking way that both of them were just a "Recycle and rehash stuff".Not only were the harware of the PS2 tweaked up but the overall feel to play games had improved dramatically.Not just in terms of Graphics but Dolby Surround sound and DVD movie viewing capabilities.

fortebuster

Broken In
I hope so! I'm a big N fan.

And to some extent, 'recycle & rehash the same crap' strategy of MS and sony is true. Nintendo is trying to innovate games - DS and now Wii, and at the same time cut costs for developers.

OP
B

borg

In the zone
What i mean by 'rehash & recycle' is that no matter what chip or what technology Sony & MS put in, its again the same thing. OK, we are using a cell processor now instead of an emotion engine, so?. Does it make the gameplay any different?. I guess not. Its the same thing all over again.

But Nintendo has done something really different & nice. It really changes the way people play games.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
borg said:
What i mean by 'rehash & recycle' is that no matter what chip or what technology Sony & MS put in, its again the same thing. OK, we are using a cell processor now instead of an emotion engine, so?. Does it make the gameplay any different?. I guess not. Its the same thing all over again.
Not really.If you realise that many people by now are wanting to see much more realism in games and much more Stoyline depth to get completely immersed into it.The Next generation clips like Sony had projected with their Tech demos looked Jaw Dropping albeit it wasn't actual in Game footage.Achieving such realism is naturally hardware dependent and well you cant push the envelope until You push the hardware usage to their max.Its not just about the Graphics buddy but its more like making the people look real,feel real,facial reactions,Physics calculations,Engaging storyline,Interactivity and all that jazz which adds up to make the games more interesting.If you have played Half Life 2 you would have realised by now how much interesting and visually beautiful the game was.Hence it cant be called the typical jaded FPS kinda game.If you mean making something uniquely different stuff then check out the Eye toy for the PS2.:cool:

borg said:
But Nintendo has done something really different & nice. It really changes the way people play games.
If you mean the controller then yes it is technologically inovative.Anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom