Will Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo support DDR3 1600 MHz and DDR2 swap without OS format ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Thanks a lot for all for your help.. I have placed order for a pair of 4GB 1333 MHz DDR-III

*i50.tinypic.com/fabrt1.jpg

G.Skill Value series !!

root.king

geek in action
^^ @ OP - if you install 1333 Mhz DDR3 ram modules the ram mdoules will run at 1066 Mhz speed - so to get 1333 Mhz you need to OC the ram modules - you need to do it keeping the cpu speed in mind and getting and uinsg 1600Mhz ram modules at 1600 Mhz speed might be tough with this board as you need to play with FSb, Cpu Speed, FSB:DRAM ratio speed a lot more and might even change few volt option as well.

ya This is true for g41 chipset

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Finally the wait is over and the RAMs are delivered today :)

*i50.tinypic.com/4uj3lt.jpg

*i47.tinypic.com/y1ll5.jpg

FK package is something to enjoy :D

Edit

As pointed out by many, the motherboard detected 1333 MHz RAM but ran it at 1066 MHz.

My previous board was having Nvidia 650i chipset, there it was having unlinked operation for frequency between Processor and Memory where I could individually set memory operation figures, specially the frequency of operation. However this G41 seems to be linked with processor, here I dont see option to set RAM clocks to 1333 MHz without touching the processor.

It seems I have to keep on increasing processor base frequency to increase the RAM frequency :(

Anyway, setting processor base FSB value to 333 MHz took the RAM at 1333 MHz. Which in-terms running the processor @ 3.0 GHz (333 MHz x 9). Good thing I found that it didn't required voltage increment for the processor or the RAM.

Any suggestion on running RAM @ 1333 MHz without touching the processor FSB increment ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I don't think bios of value series mobos offers such options though try to find some option like FSB : DRam ratio/Multiplier.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
^^ I don't think bios of value series mobos offers such options though try to find some option like FSB : DRam ratio/Multiplier.

Processor is running stable with 3.0 GHz OC however my 5 year old ThermalRight Ultra 120 eXtreme seems to be no longer an extreme cooler :p as 3.0 is pushing processor temp on heavy load (Intel BurnTool in each core) upto 70/71c..

Will that be acceptable upper limit for a Core 2 Quad ??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
70/70c under IBT is acceptable as while gaming/other cpu intensive apps you will get much lower temps but still that's too hot for a cooler like TRUE 120 - the temps should not cross 65c - make sure the cpu cooler is mounted properly.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
70/70c under IBT is acceptable as while gaming/other cpu intensive apps you will get much lower temps but still that's too hot for a cooler like TRUE 120 - the temps should not cross 65c - make sure the cpu cooler is mounted properly.

CPU Cooler is mounted properly.

I have to check again, as this same cooler allowed me to run 3.8 GHz in winter with same processor but different Mobo by the way :p

How ever I forgot temps that I was getting back then :(

I stopped OCing for regular use as it was pushing the power consumption sky rocketing !!

However you are right about actual CPU temps in application based load, usually its around 60/62c while gaming or editing video or such..

Last edited:

dipankar.2012

Broken In
Well ga41m combo supports upto 8 gb ddr3 ram max1333 Mhz check it out from GIGABYTE - Motherboard, Graphics Card, Notebook, Slate, Server, PC Peripherals and more

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Well ga41m combo supports upto 8 gb ddr3 ram max1333 Mhz check it out from GIGABYTE - Motherboard, Graphics Card, Notebook, Slate, Server, PC Peripherals and more

Gigabyte said:
Support for DDR3 1333(O.C.)/1066/800 MHz memory modules

It didn't.. The 1333 MHz DDR3 was running at 1066 MHz..

To run the RAMs are 1333 MHz, I had to over clock my process frequency BUS to 333 MHz..

I could not find option to individually running the RAMs at 1333 MHz :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ there's not much you can do about this ( without OCing ) - it's chipset limitation.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
^^ there's not much you can do about this ( without OCing ) - it's chipset limitation.

Its ok from my end at least.. Processor is holding nice without anyn vCore value modification at 3.0 GHz, system is stable, heat is also seems to be under acceptable limits, so no complain at least :p

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
Finally looks like you're satisfied now :razz:.

Thanks to you all.. :)

:high5::doublethumb::clap2:

edit

Another ongoing issue is this one :p hope to get something done by Monday.. Stuck with one device only it seems there !!

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/162210-need-complete-pc-animation-multimedia-student-80k-no-gaming-2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom