Will 16GB card slow my phone?

Sarath

iDota
I own a SE Xperia Arc running Android 2.3.3
It came bundled with a 8GB card. However I want to replace it with a 16GB card as I feel I am going to fill it up quite soon.

Now I have read that higher the capacity the slower the read times as the data has to be fetched in a much larger memory space.
So will a 16GB card be drastically slower than a 8GB card?

I do not wish to use two seperate 8GB cards for the same purpose.
I already have another 8GB card though.

Will a SDHC of a higher class give good speeds considering my device supports it?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
it shouldn't. get a card with faster read/write speeds (like a class 10 or higher card)
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=dofTbiWf5Wk

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
well going with my personal experience I have seen that even a 8GB card if full slows down the handset to an irritating extent. you can feel it by filling your card with songs. this may help you on deciding whether to go for a higher capacity card or not.

noob

Cyborg Agent
well going with my personal experience I have seen that even a 8GB card if full slows down the handset to an irritating extent. you can feel it by filling your card with songs. this may help you on deciding whether to go for a higher capacity card or not.

Never ever on Android. I have 16 GB card and filled upto 14GB full of songs and not even a slight lag cauz of that.
Music player is fast as it should be on Android.
Smartphones (esp Android) creates a XML(0r similar) file which which scans SD card every time u delete/add something and when u open music player , instead of again scanning SD card and populating songs in list from SD card , it picks just 1 single file (xml or something similar) and shows all songs list in music player.

thus you dont have to actually read entire SD card when showing music files in music player.

So it will never ever slow in Android. M not sure about other OS.

eagle06

Los7 Cau53
Im presently using sandisk class 4 16gb card in my galaxy S , no lag at all. the transfer rate from pc to phone is about 7MB/s.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I finally have the money and the urgency (within 2weeks) to buy this memory card.

Kindly suggest a good 16GB micro SDHC preferably Class 4/6 in good brands. Local or online.

Im presently using sandisk class 4 16gb card in my galaxy S , no lag at all. the transfer rate from pc to phone is about 7MB/s.

Where did you find this? Asking for such cards in some shops have given me blank stares and absurd suggestions. Also it is very difficult to accertain the class of cards online, for such information is not clarified.

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
yea.. getting a class 2 16gigs card is easy but finding a class 4 or higher 16gigs card is very difficult...
i've queried lots of shops in Kolkata but no one had tht, even some guy didn't knew about the classes in cards

blacklight

Journeyman
Techenclave has an offer running (given by a dealer ) for a 16GB Class4 Micro SD for 1195 (Shipping extra) check out if interested

Soumik

Padawan
Flipkart has class 10 16GB card from transcend in stock. You might wanna buy it from there.
I saw an article in XDA which said that SanDisk class 4 16Gb is the fastest card with the highest random access speeds, which is required for normal daily usage. It was some time back, so i dont have the link to share. :(

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I am searching locally meanwhile. Even I am searching for a class 4/6 Sandisk one. Thanks for the links.

I am seeing problems particularly in the HD recording area. The rest don't even warrant a fast card.

suyash_123

Techno Freak
no 16 gb doesnt slow down a Smart phone.

But it somewhat depends on phone specification and OS.

Phone is slow when u
1. Install lots of software and all there spam files.
2. Un-arranged files on chip , u must keep every file in a proper folder like songs in songs and Not everything in root or any other folder.
3. make sub folders if u have 100's of file.(this is related to file accessing via gallery and file manager, they read complete folder and dispalyed and if there are lots of file then it take more time.)
4. don't full the memcard to its full limit. means keep 5 - 10% vacant always, it need for the paging and related things.

KEEP ur Internal memory always free as Possible and Put everything In memory card, this also increses speed of phone.

Top Bottom