Wifi stops working all of a sudden

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hi Guys,

In our hp ab522tx laptop the wifi stops working all of a sudden. Only a restart fixes it, if we diagnose the problem via network adapter properties it resets something, but for the same to take place a restart is required. Everything under network adapter in device manager is up to date. They system has Windows 10. Kindly help.

Thanks

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Don't know the solution for this, Sorry. but i can suggest something. Next time when wifi stops, go to control panel-> network settings-> change adapter settings. then just disable and re-enable the appropriate adapter. Better than restarting the laptop, if it works.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Don't know the solution for this, Sorry. but i can suggest something. Next time when wifi stops, go to control panel-> network settings-> change adapter settings. then just disable and re-enable the appropriate adapter. Better than restarting the laptop, if it works.

I have tried that but unfortunately it does not work.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
If there are any restore points ever created in Windows 10, try restoring to an earlier state and check how is the performance.
If there's any enable/disable wireless setting in the firmware (UEFI or BIOS) try disabling it and re enabling it again later and check if it's stable.

If you can run a Live Linux and configure wifi, try doing that and check if it's stable over a period of time.

How frequently it happens? Did you find any co-relation with any other event just in case? Any recent Windows 10 update that might have screwed it up or anything like inserting a pen drive etc.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
If there are any restore points ever created in Windows 10, try restoring to an earlier state and check how is the performance.

How frequently it happens? Did you find any co-relation with any other event just in case? Any recent Windows 10 update that might have screwed it up or anything like inserting a pen drive etc

It is happening since day 1 we bought this system. Say we use the internet for a straight 7-8 hours then it will happen once or twice. On the other hand it can happen once or twice within 10 minutes or so. I wasn't able to find any correlation of this with Windows update.

If there's any enable/disable wireless setting in the firmware (UEFI or BIOS) try disabling it and re enabling it again later and check if it's stable.

Can you be more precise as in where to check in for these settings?

If you can run a Live Linux and configure wifi, try doing that and check if it's stable over a period of time.

Don't have the time and knowledge for installing Linux.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Don't have the time and knowledge for installing Linux.
Live Linux means running a image of the Linux. Have you heard about "Live CD" of Linux? If you run Live Linux, you don't have install the OS on your system, all the basic functionalities of an OS are available just by running the CD. And that is a good advice IMO from patkim. Nowadays you can run Live Linux through pendrive. Try with ubuntu.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Since you have Windows 10 laptop I suppose windows 10 is OEM pre-installed and activated. To eliminate any corruption issues somewhere, you can as well try a clean refresh from within windows 10. You do not need a separate install DVD. However backup your personal data before you do so as I am not sure whether Windows 10 recovery offers an option to clean only system partition where windows is installed or it affects all partitions. Such a choice is available in Windows 8.1 though.

Inside UEFI firmware setup, look for some advanced IO device settings, you might find various built in devices like USB Ports, Card Reader & Wireless mentioned somewhere and option to enable/disable the same at the firmware level.

Additionally you can also try with Clean Boot. Search the net how to perform this on Windows. This ensures that only the minimal Services /drivers are run at boot time. This shall help identify if any other service is causing this.

If you want to give a try with Live Linux, for better compatibility with existing firmware and hardware go for 64 bit version. (I assume you have Windows 10 64 bit version) Download the .ISO and create a bootable pendrive with apps like Rufus or just burn it on a DVD using any ISO burner tool. What you have is an on-the-fly Linux distribution that just runs off the bootable media in the memory without any HDD installation requirements. Your existing hard drive partitions and not directly affected in this case. For better compatibility to run Live Linux on your system, disable Secure Boot and Enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) option in UEFI settings.

Last edited:

vikram009

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

I had the exact same problem several years ago, and though it may not be apparent at first glace, the culprit turned out to be the ISP. This can easily be ascertained:

The next time you face such an outage, immediately check if any other devices that were connected to the same wifi network in your home, suchas mobiles, tablets, or tvs, are also affected. If they are, then we know that the problem is with either the modem/router or the ISP. when I had this problem, all my wifi connected devices were affected, so I knew it wasn't just the hardware or software on my laptop that was faulty. I replaced the BSNL provided modem+router box with a brand new one, but still had the same problem. BSNL reluctantly had to fix something at their end, eventually.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Live Linux means running a image of the Linux. Have you heard about "Live CD" of Linux? If you run Live Linux, you don't have install the OS on your system, all the basic functionalities of an OS are available just by running the CD. And that is a good advice IMO from patkim. Nowadays you can run Live Linux through pendrive. Try with ubuntu.

So, it is just like HBCD. Well booting via linux/ubuntu/hbcd etc. and to check whether the wifi stops in those live cd's too is demanding way too much time. These days my schedule is way too much tight.

Since you have Windows 10 laptop I suppose windows 10 is OEM pre-installed and activated. To eliminate any corruption issues somewhere, you can as well try a clean refresh from within windows 10. You do not need a separate install DVD. However backup your personal data before you do so as I am not sure whether Windows 10 recovery offers an option to clean only system partition where windows is installed or it affects all partitions. Such a choice is available in Windows 8.1 though.

Inside UEFI firmware setup, look for some advanced IO device settings, you might find various built in devices like USB Ports, Card Reader & Wireless mentioned somewhere and option to enable/disable the same at the firmware level.

Additionally you can also try with Clean Boot. Search the net how to perform this on Windows. This ensures that only the minimal Services /drivers are run at boot time. This shall help identify if any other service is causing this.

If you want to give a try with Live Linux, for better compatibility with existing firmware and hardware go for 64 bit version. (I assume you have Windows 10 64 bit version) Download the .ISO and create a bootable pendrive with apps like Rufus or just burn it on a DVD using any ISO burner tool. What you have is an on-the-fly Linux distribution that just runs off the bootable media in the memory without any HDD installation requirements. Your existing hard drive partitions and not directly affected in this case. For better compatibility to run Live Linux on your system, disable Secure Boot and Enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) option in UEFI settings.

I can't reinstall, check these threads-

*forum.digit.in/software-q/197543-windows-10-weird-issues-6.html

*forum.digit.in/software-q/196697-display-driver-errors-os-hp-issue-8.html

Don't want the driver issue to come back.

Please explain more about the UEFI thing? Will read about clean boot.

Hi,

I had the exact same problem several years ago, and though it may not be apparent at first glace, the culprit turned out to be the ISP. This can easily be ascertained:

The next time you face such an outage, immediately check if any other devices that were connected to the same wifi network in your home, suchas mobiles, tablets, or tvs, are also affected. If they are, then we know that the problem is with either the modem/router or the ISP. when I had this problem, all my wifi connected devices were affected, so I knew it wasn't just the hardware or software on my laptop that was faulty. I replaced the BSNL provided modem+router box with a brand new one, but still had the same problem. BSNL reluctantly had to fix something at their end, eventually.

Every other device whether it is connected via wireless mode or via lan works just fine but not the laptop.

gameranand

Living to Play
Try using some other wifi source, like phone hotspot. First of all you need to isolate if its a hardware problem, a ISP problem or a software problem.
If on other wifi source it works as intended and doesn't disconnect then clearly, neither hardware or software but the ISP is the culprit here.
Try the Wifi on Live Linux and see if it works, if it does then it means that its a Windows problem and not a hardware problem. Only after then you can start to search for solution. You have to find the root of the problem first.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Try using some other wifi source, like phone hotspot. First of all you need to isolate if its a hardware problem, a ISP problem or a software problem.
If on other wifi source it works as intended and doesn't disconnect then clearly, neither hardware or software but the ISP is the culprit here.
Try the Wifi on Live Linux and see if it works, if it does then it means that its a Windows problem and not a hardware problem. Only after then you can start to search for solution. You have to find the root of the problem first.

Not a hardware fault dear. It has to do something with the software, that's what Harassement-Packard's guy told me. He has logged a complaint with no result as of now. The system works well with hotspots, I haven't tried for much long though.

gameranand

Living to Play
If you don't have any problems then you could just reinstall the OS. That solves most of the problems in one go. Just make sure to backup your data, MS products works in mysterious ways.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
If you don't have any problems then you could just reinstall the OS. That solves most of the problems in one go. Just make sure to backup your data, MS products works in mysterious ways.

Brother 10's good, except for the compatibility issues+some weird issues. Plus it is regularly getting updates, so I don't feel the need to install some other OS.

Top Bottom