WIFI keeps dropping on Desktop!

TheLetterD

Will Power
Hello!
So I own a Belkin Basic router (802.11 n) and on my desktop I have a network interface card, the TP LINK WN350g (which is 802.11g)!

Now the problem I face is that for some reason the internet connection keeps disconnecting.
I have the latest drivers on both devices, I use a software inSSIDer to check for any network interferences, none.
I use my iPad in the same room as my desktop but the Wifi on that works fine!
inSSIDER AND Windows tray icon for Wifi Reception shows three bars with the doors in between open, and 1 with the doors closed.
The wifi router is roughly 20 Feet away from my Desktop.
For SOME reason I remember using the same card on my old desktop and it worked fine then! :(
Even when Im playing COD4 online it says "Connection Interrupted"
I didnt have these problems when I had my desktop in my old room on LAN with the same Wifi Router.

Now my questions;

1. Could my Network interface card be faulty?

2. If yes, will buying a N Network interface card solve the problem?

3. In your onion what should I buy? A Network interface card or a Wireless USB adapter (like this one; TP-LINK 150 Mbps TL-WN721N Wireless N - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
Which one would give me better and more reliable performance?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
a ppi/pci-e card should give you better performance mainly because it has antenna on the other hand usb dongles are more convenient to use .. currently I'm using the one you linked above ;)

Do you think it will give me a sufficiently strong signal 20-25 feet away from a basic N router? :/

You can upgrade the router antenna or switch to dual anteena. Also, there are many DIY tricks (like an alluminium foil parabolic reflector dish) to extend the router's range. Just search the internet and you'll find many tips and tricks for this.

Hrishi

Generally the connection drops , if the signals are not pretty good. Connection drops are quite frequent and common whe reception is 1-2 Bars.
I have had these issues. All I did was to use an Alumunium foil/Sheet and cover it around the Card so as to converge the signals towards my PC/Laptop's Location. That did improved the connection a bit.

OP
TheLetterD

TheLetterD

Will Power
Thanks everyone. TOPGEAR! :( Why didnt I check that one out BEFORE I bought the regular USB one. :'(
Ah, impulse buys. :/
Lets see if its good enough, otherwise Ill try and return it to them and get the one with the antenna

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
even I did the same thing a couple of months back but using the one without antenna and it's good so far ;)

Hrishi

Thanks everyone. TOPGEAR! :( Why didnt I check that one out BEFORE I bought the regular USB one. :'(
Ah, impulse buys. :/
Lets see if its good enough, otherwise Ill try and return it to them and get the one with the antenna
In case if they do not accept return , then in my suggestion you can modify the device to fix an antenna. Not that difficult.

even I did the same thing a couple of months back but using the one without antenna and it's good so far ;)

Yes. I too had a USB wi-fi dongle , and it's reach was pretty good. I mean better than my both Laptops's inbuilt .
I think it was from D-Link NWA125 or 150.

Top Bottom