Wierd Problem with DVD Writer

Which graphical interface is best in Linix?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolchop

Technology making us DUMB
Hi Troubleshooters,

I was using LG's DVD Writer since last 1.5 years with my Seagate 40 GB IDE HDD. It was and it is working seamlessly with that HDD. Recently I've purchased a new Seagate IDE HDD @160 GB. Since I've started using this HDD, am facing a wierd problem. Althogh I am able to boot and install Windows from this DVD writer, but the moment I start using windows, it is not able to read data from the DVD drive, and even not able to write data as well, to check this, I again booted my PC with the old HDD (40 GB) and it is working smoothly w/o any glitch.

Reloading the OS didn't help either; to cross check, I installed Linux Mint on another partition of the new HDD, which also booted and installed from the same DVD drive and it is also not able to read/write the data from/to the DVD drive.

I am not willing to try to re-install the OS on the old HDD as it may leave me w/ no backup which I used to take on DVDs as a usual practice.

Please Please Please help me.....This problem is wierd as the same OS which I used to load from the same DVD drive is not reading contents from it :confused:.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Windows xp certain updates on sp2/ sp3 has PIO/DMA conflicts. For sata dvd writer, change the advance settings on IDE/atapi controllers to DMA. Same might be required in BIOS.

OP
coolchop

coolchop

Technology making us DUMB
And how should I do this in Linux??

---------
RE: Windows xp certain updates on sp2/ sp3 has PIO/DMA conflicts. For sata dvd writer, change the advance settings on IDE/atapi controllers to DMA. Same might be required in BIOS.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Not sure about linux though you can try putting the dvd writer in dma mode on your mobo's BIOS. If it doesnt work out, best if you put it in the linux section most probably the advisors there know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom