Wierd freezing issue while gaming...

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
Recently i bought a new hard disk as my old one had too many bad sectors in it. Then installed it with fresh copy of Win 7 (obviously). Installed fresh copy of Dota2 and Fifa 14. Downloaded the latest driver from NVIDIA website and installed it too. But when i play the Dota 2 game, there is a freeze while in game. I use resolution of 1366x768 with lowest level graphic settings. I thought it might be because of hardware requirements because of 'Dota Reborn' application (Since i have only 2GB of RAM). Then played FIFA 14 with highest settings which i used to play before without any problem, it was like smooth play. But now even in FIFA the game gets stuck stuck. Also when i quit either of the games, it takes approx. 2-3 min to show up desktop. I am not able to understand what is causing that problem. Below are my harware specs.
AMD Athlon II X4 620
Zotac 9600GT 512MB
2GB DDR2 Kingston 800Mhz RAM
Biostar TA790GXB A2+
Seagate 160GB HDD

Also i'm planning to buy another 2GB RAM of exactly same model. If you want any data or information for you to understand my problem please let me know. Kindly let me know what is causing this issue.

Last edited:

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Do you see long HDD activity LED when you quit the game and it’s restoring to desktop?

Some things to try

Downgrade the drivers, try installing with what you had before HDD change. Sometimes the latest may not necessarily be the best for a specific config
Disable unwanted services, disable antivirus
Adjust the page file size
Add more RAM

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The PSU you have is not a very good enough. Having said that how old the PSU is ? check the +12v rail reading under load.

HDD may looks perfect but just run HDTune and see the HDDs health status.

Make sure the gpu is clocking up perfectly ie reaches and maintains it's maximum clock speed during gaming. Use Gpu-z log feature for that.
Check cpu and gpu for overheating and so add up more ram. 2GB is not enough for a gaming pc.
If everything is good but the issue is still there use old gpu driver - the one which used to run Fifa 14 smoothly.

OP
IronCruz

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
The PSU you have is not a very good enough. Having said that how old the PSU is ? check the +12v rail reading under load.

HDD may looks perfect but just run HDTune and see the HDDs health status.

Make sure the gpu is clocking up perfectly ie reaches and maintains it's maximum clock speed during gaming. Use Gpu-z log feature for that.
Check cpu and gpu for overheating and so add up more ram. 2GB is not enough for a gaming pc.
If everything is good but the issue is still there use old gpu driver - the one which used to run Fifa 14 smoothly.

I think the problem is resolved, i downgraded the graphic driver, and the game was quitting as it should be. I felt no lag in Dota 2 low settings, but there is a setting b/n low and med, the game was working fine, until a gank made it laggy, changed back to low settings also FIFA was working fine until celebration of scoring goal stated it got laggy again. Do you think this would resolve if i expand RAM memory.

And i have a query, I currently have Kingston RAM. So i am purchasing transcend ram. Do you think these two are compatible because Kingston is out of stock. :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
upgrading ram should improve performance but if the graphic card is getting weaker .. like general wear, capacitor aging etc. then you you re-check the graphic card on another pc just to be sure it's working alright.

4GB ram is bare minimum for pc games nowadays so upgrading ram is very much recommended. You can grantee compatibility of two memory modules from two different manufacturers but in 99% cases they work and I've ran transcend and kingston ddr2 ram modules on a single pc and they worked fine.

Lincon_WD

WD Official
And i have a query, I currently have Kingston RAM. So i am purchasing transcend ram. Do you think these two are compatible because Kingston is out of stock. :(

Hi [MENTION=55665]IronCruz[/MENTION],

I agree with [MENTION=15026]topgear[/MENTION]. I'd suggest you to add the same specification RAM model. Most motherboards like to see RAM pairs installed when using two or more RAM sticks. RAM speeds match with what you have with you and order the same frequency RAM, otherwise the slowest RAM is the default speed for both of them. With the different size of RAM, you are not able to use the double channel function for performance.

Just a suggestion, if you run 2 RAM sticks with same specification; you will be running memory in dual channel which will be a greater increase in performance than running a single stick in single channel.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Regarding the freezing issue, yes the hard disk is culprit I could do a same pinch had the same kinda issue 2 days before for me.

Download the seatools if ur hdd is Seagate, check for the errors !

Top Bottom