Wi-Fi over a large area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishaan

Padawan
Hi

Does anyone know a cost-effective method to set up a wi-fi network across a large area (around 1.25 acres) that includes both indoors and outdoors areas as well as multiple floors and a basement?

The internet connection comes from a radio antenna in the form of an ethernet cable which can be connected to a router.

I tried asking around but people were telling me solutions that costed not less than around Rs.50-60k. I thought it was possible to link up a few routers or wireless repeaters or something which would cost much lesser?

Although it is possible to connect the routers with wires in this particular site, I would appreciate it if someone knew a wireless method which would make things much easier (even if it costs a bit more).

Thank you

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Use wireless repeaters.. Get a DD-WRT compatible router.. Its easier setting up a distributed wifi with that firmware.

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
Use wireless repeaters.. Get a DD-WRT compatible router.. Its easier setting up a distributed wifi with that firmware.

Thanks kalpik..

I heard rumours that using repeaters causes a drop in signal though but I'll check them out again.

If anyone could share a good place to get hold of them in Delhi it'll be great.

Any other ideas by anyone would be appreciated too. Thank you.

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
Thanks kalpik, it worked.

I bought Linksys WRT54G2 v1 routers and flashed them with the dd-wrt firmware, after which setup was a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom