why there is nothing like B Drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Toilets don't have garbage out function(well,they have but its hidden)
Just saw a hand coming out of computer and hitting the smiley,just like mine.
Stop doing the postmortem of this now:D:D

T

thunderbird.117

Son they wont be a A: Drive. Then our future generation will ask. We have c,d,e,f and why not A and B. :D

hailgautam

Youngling
aditya.shevade said:
But what if I install 3 floppy drives? or more?

why don't you do that and see what happens:p

by the way in very very old days, once upon a time when there used to be a device called the 5.1/4" Floppy Drives used to exist on the earth, B Drive was the letter assigned to such drives. Since I have seen Computers only 3.1/2" drives got extinct, then CD ROMs got extinct.

Ya one can technically may be have 4 Flopy dives, I mean you can have a master and a slave on 2 IDE ports, keep the cabin opne and have the Flopy Drives outside the system but then you can not have any HDD.

Sure it will create a master piece of a system. would not it??
:idea:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Even if can you get a custom made cabinet and all for 10 floppy drives, what are you gonna do of it? Show off? Now many people don't even have 1 floppy drive, then why worry about 2-3.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
hailgautam, that was to those people getting ideas of having 3 or more floppies. It's just a general statement made to the topic not to anyone specifically.

phanibhushan

Broken In
The answer goes back to the glory days of floppy discs and DOS. The early DOS operating system designated two drives, A and B, strictly for floppy drives. Why? Because many early computers didn't have native hard drives -- they booted from Drive A, and ran applications from Drive B.

Later, as computers came with hard drives, the second floppy drive became a useless appendage -- the computer equivalent of an appendix. To avoid confusion during the evolutionary window when computers with new hard drives coexisted beside computers with two floppies, the hard drives were given the "C" slot.

Technically speaking, the "computer" isn't missing the B drive, it's just that later Microsoft operating systems have omitted it as unnecessary. You can read more about the ins and outs of archaic drive systems at Microsoft Support.

phanibhushan

Broken In
The answer goes back to the glory days of floppy discs and DOS. The early DOS operating system designated two drives, A and B, strictly for floppy drives. Why? Because many early computers didn't have native hard drives -- they booted from Drive A, and ran applications from Drive B.

Later, as computers came with hard drives, the second floppy drive became a useless appendage -- the computer equivalent of an appendix. To avoid confusion during the evolutionary window when computers with new hard drives coexisted beside computers with two floppies, the hard drives were given the "C" slot.

Technically speaking, the "computer" isn't missing the B drive, it's just that later Microsoft operating systems have omitted it as unnecessary. You can read more about the ins and outs of archaic drive systems at Microsoft Support.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
tech_your_future said:
Even if can you get a custom made cabinet and all for 10 floppy drives, what are you gonna do of it? Show off? Now many people don't even have 1 floppy drive, then why worry about 2-3.

Agreed. Totally agreed with everything that you have said. The only point that I had to make was, get ovet it now (for MS). Now a days people don't even have 1 drive. Why do they still keep following the same convention? Has the primary drive latter been changed to a in Vista also? No. So I made a point saying, what is MS going to do if there are 3 or more drives? It's just a question, and by the way, I still have 2 FDDs on one of my PCs. 5.25 and 3.5 with a space to add one more FDD/CD drive. And it is some 6 years old.

Aditya

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
hailgautam said:
why don't you do that and see what happens:p

by the way in very very old days, once upon a time when there used to be a device called the 5.1/4" Floppy Drives used to exist on the earth, B Drive was the letter assigned to such drives. Since I have seen Computers only 3.1/2" drives got extinct, then CD ROMs got extinct.

Ya one can technically may be have 4 Flopy dives, I mean you can have a master and a slave on 2 IDE ports, keep the cabin opne and have the Flopy Drives outside the system but then you can not have any HDD.

Sure it will create a master piece of a system. would not it??
:idea:
Floppy drives dont fit on IDE ports.. And no, you cannot install more than 2 floppy drives..

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
kalpik said:
Floppy drives dont fit on IDE ports.. And no, you cannot install more than 2 floppy drives..

Well end of discussion then.... :-(. But again, a therotical question (for therotical purpose) Why can't we install more than 2 drives and what if someone wants more than 2? (I know no one would, but I just need to know.)

Aditya

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Guys you also have the now unused ZIP Drives, the drives which were like Floppies but had 100MB storage.

B drive was usually kept reserved for Floppies and Zip Drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom