Why long drives in automatic cars may be dangerous for you

Please list those other factors and enlighten us. And I have mentioned few others too besides engine capacity.
Within engine itself, type of fuel, type of combustion process (SI, CI or maybe HCCI in future), friction losses, how air-fuel is mixed, etc also do impact fuel economy other than capacity & cylinders. 2 petrol IC engines having 1.2L 4 cylinders won't have the same efficiency necessarily.

Outside engine - transmission, aerodynamics, ambient temperature, tires & accessory load (on-board computer, AC, etc) are some other important factors other than weight which impact FE.

Like you can't get an idea of the performance of a CPU by looking just at its number of cores or image quality looking at MP of a camera sensor, similarly FE of a vehicle depends on a lot of factors.

Sorry I missed this earlier. Yes they do. But now their cars are coming with a million miles battery warranty. I think that's enough.
I am not putting AMT in AT's class. Just meant that even an AMT is better than the manual one's.
No
Tesla batteries are maybe close to prove that they can last a million miles but warranty is still 8 years or 125k miles.
Vehicle Warranty

I agree that AMT is definitely more convenient than MT for high traffic situations, like cities.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Within engine itself, type of fuel, type of combustion process (SI, CI or maybe HCCI in future), friction losses, how air-fuel is mixed, etc also do impact fuel economy other than capacity & cylinders. 2 petrol IC engines having 1.2L 4 cylinders won't have the same efficiency necessarily.

Outside engine - transmission, aerodynamics, ambient temperature, tires & accessory load (on-board computer, AC, etc) are some other important factors other than weight which impact FE.

Like you can't get an idea of the performance of a CPU by looking just at its number of cores or image quality looking at MP of a camera sensor, similarly FE of a vehicle depends on a lot of factors.

Quality of road and traffic conditions also play a huge role in the real world fuel economy that you observe.

billubakra

Conversation Architect

I have seen petrol engines shelling out more mileage because of the mode of drive. The other factors that you have mentioned does have an impact but again if the engine is good, including cc's+driving modes etc., more mileage can be gained.
Sure accessories etc. will impact the engine but whatever I have mentioned were about a car with everything stock.

No
Tesla batteries are maybe close to prove that they can last a million miles but warranty is still 8 years or 125k miles.
Vehicle Warranty

I agree that AMT is definitely more convenient than MT for high traffic situations, like cities.

Tesla Shows off Model 3 Drive Unit after One Million Miles of Driving
Cybertruck, Model 3 manufactured in China in MY 2020 will come with a million miles written warranty

Quality of road and traffic conditions also play a huge role in the real world fuel economy that you observe.
That's an external factor. Can't add in them to check the mileage.

I have seen petrol engines shelling out more mileage because of the mode of drive. The other factors that you have mentioned does have an impact but again if the engine is good, including cc's+driving modes etc., more mileage can be gained.
Sure accessories etc. will impact the engine but whatever I have mentioned were about a car with everything stock.

Tesla Shows off Model 3 Drive Unit after One Million Miles of Driving
Cybertruck, Model 3 manufactured in China in MY 2020 will come with a million miles written warranty

That's an external factor. Can't add in them to check the mileage.
Driving modes usually worsens throttle response, so not so rich A/F mixture to engine, hence higher mileage. It surely helps if implemented properly.

1 million mile warranty for the semi is understandable as that will run a lot. Still no word on 1M miles warranty on consumer vehicles. Its not a logical proposition for Tesla yet. Even the article you linked says nothing about consumer vehicles, just that they raised an internal target from 200k to 1M miles. 125k miles warranty is still pretty great, if they offer a higher number, good for consumers.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Driving modes usually worsens throttle response, so not so rich A/F mixture to engine, hence higher mileage. It surely helps if implemented properly.

1 million mile warranty for the semi is understandable as that will run a lot. Still no word on 1M miles warranty on consumer vehicles. Its not a logical proposition for Tesla yet. Even the article you linked says nothing about consumer vehicles, just that they raised an internal target from 200k to 1M miles. 125k miles warranty is still pretty great, if they offer a higher number, good for consumers.

I personally find normal mode ok for normal and highway driving plus if you want a bit of an acceleration in any car. Sports mode is just another level.
I linked that article just to mention that they have tested a million miles warranty internally. Chinese MY 20 cars will have them. There are many guys on YT who have driven around 500k miles negligible loss in range.

I personally find normal mode ok for normal and highway driving plus if you want a bit of an acceleration in any car. Sports mode is just another level.
I linked that article just to mention that they have tested a million miles warranty internally. Chinese MY 20 cars will have them. There are many guys on YT who have driven around 500k miles negligible loss in range.
Working for a million miles & covering that much are two different things. Tesla needs to make a lot of profit, its a publicly-traded company after all.

Let's see what they do.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Working for a million miles & covering that much are two different things. Tesla needs to make a lot of profit, its a publicly-traded company after all.
Let's see what they do.

Yes. But from a consumer's pov there won't be any difference for the my 20 cars. Elon pocketed 2+bn usd in less than 48 hours. Tesla's now worth 100bn usd+ They were profitable in q3. And they will beat the shit out of every other company very soon. Their only main competition is the VW group. But VW without AP doesn't stand a chance.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
This guy is at some other level
Elon Musk releases Don’t Doubt Ur Vibe music track on SoundCloud
$641 usd as of now. This share is the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
This guy is at some other level
Elon Musk releases Don’t Doubt Ur Vibe music track on SoundCloud
$641 usd as of now. This share is the future.

It touched almost $1k and then tumbled ;) .. thing is valuation is way ahead of it's earnings.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
It touched almost $1k and then tumbled ;) .. thing is valuation is way ahead of it's earnings.
Yeah around 740 now. Yesterday one guy predicted it to reach 5000 in the coming 10 years.
P.S. Lucid Motors might actually give a real competition to Tesla. Their AD is backed up by Mobileye - Wikipedia

Yeah around 740 now. Yesterday one guy predicted it to reach 5000 in the coming 10 years.
P.S. Lucid Motors might actually give a real competition to Tesla. Their AD is backed up by Mobileye - Wikipedia
Time will tell. Faraday Future was once touted to be the next Tesla, but see where it is now.

bubusam13

Human
:rofl: This article is contrary to my personal experience. I started experiencing knee pain due to too much clutch press in traffic. Now I booked an automatic.

But... yes automatic may be a cause of accident for manual drivers. I hit the brake pedal with both my feet while taking a test ride, thanks to my motor senses developed from driving a manual. The car with 4 disc brakes stopped instantly and a scooty behind us hit us at the back of the car.

Last edited:
OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
:rofl: This article is contrary to my personal experience. I started experiencing knee pain due to too much clutch press in traffic. Now I booked an automatic.

But... yes automatic may be a cause of accident for manual drivers. I hit the brake pedal with both my feet while taking a test ride, thanks to my motor senses developed from driving a manual. The car with 4 disc brakes stopped instantly and a scooty behind us hit us at the back of the car.
So did the insurance covered the accident & whether any major argument took place, just curious.

bubusam13

Human
So did the insurance covered the accident & whether any major argument took place, just curious.
That was their test drive car. I saw the hit mark on the bumper few days ago while visiting the dealer. Probably they will get it fixed when selling it.

To our surprise, the scooty guy didn't argue and left instantly. But onlookers did.

OP
W

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was their test drive car. I saw the hit mark on the bumper few days ago while visiting the dealer. Probably they will get it fixed when selling it.

To our surprise, the scooty guy didn't argue and left instantly. But onlookers did.
I don't think test drive car is sold as "new car", kind of like "demo TV sets" in showrooms.

Yeah, the onlookers nowadays spend more time than actually involved ppl in an accident.

bubusam13

Human
Why we don't get dial type gear knobs in Automatic cars in India ? Even the international version of Creta got dial knob where as in India, gear lever is provided.

Top Bottom