Why Linux OS is prefered by Developers ?

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
So What are the advantages of using Linux from a developer point of view and What drawbacks of using Windows for Android development ?

Advantages of Linux
1. Open source
2. Runs apps more natively
3. Supports a vast range of compilers
4. Hierarchical file architecture
5. No need to set the compiler paths (like C:/pro..... , all are in same path, even the apps)

Disadvantages of windows
1.The opposite of Linux advantages
2. Can't run shell commands
3. Poor terminal
4. Most file extensions not supported natively (have to use different apps)
5. Supports old file system NTFS that requires defragmentation and supports only some file systems

---***Update***---
Android is Linux but with little differences
Both are nearly the same so obviously it will provide a better support

More advantages (necessary!!)
6. CaSe sEnSeTiVe
7. Permission management!!

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
I'm not sure, I'm a developer and I use windows extensively. For starters .Net will require windows, so no linux for .Net devs. I work on spring/j2ee and as such the ide(eclipse), server(tomcat or vmware vfabric) works great with windows. Ofcourse I had never made end user standalone apps, I work on custom enterprise apps only.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well as already said, it's Open Source, it's Free and it's Fun :)

I'm also a .NET Developer by profession so I'm bound to use Windows, but in home I use dual boot with Linux. I generally boot into Windows when I have some real work to do, else I'm always logged in to Linux :D

OP
ariftwister

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
I respect some developers, but most are crazy, and as well as Linux, so that's the reason I think?
:lol:

You mean android developers? Or just random developers?

Btw I have huge respect for developers, because they code hundreds of pages of code and understand the logic behind it...

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Open source means that the source code of the software is free to be download, modified or re released for non profit purpose.

Linux OS's do have some paid applications.

The android emulator lags heavily in Windows. Will it run smoothly on Linux!?

it depends, if you system doesn't have enough resources (cpu/ram) for the virtual machine, it will always lag be it windows or Linux. generally linux os's use lesser ram compared to windows. (in my case, Linux mint 15 mate used ~250 MB RAM on startup and windows 7 ~450MB)

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
I personally find only a couple of good things in linux from the point of view of development -

Awesome command line and package managers.

And my slow, sluggish lagging windows PC works great with linux
only problem is that you have to mount the devices first to use and input password every time you use sudo command (talking about Ubuntu)
And
Windows aint case sensetive, or has case management but not sensitive like Linux
Also the text editor itself is sufficient in Linux and no need to download notepad++ or something else

And [MENTION=255169]whatthefrak[/MENTION]
I guess you're right. I am mad to a certain level but sometimes lose control (i dont give a $#!t about warranty, just wanna root android and brick it!! :p)

Neuron

Electronic.
Developing android on windows has way more advantages than doing it on a linux platform. For example devices from sony has a connectivity mode called MTP which AFAIK works only on windows.MTP lets the computer and the phone use the sdcard simultaneously. I am developing a small game and sometimes have to render 3d models into a set of images. This would be really slow on linux as i have a not so powerful laptop. Plus I get to run Bluestacks which is very handy in testing games.
Also the emulator isn't going to run any faster on the linux machine. Chances are that it will be slower. You may face problems finding adb drivers for your phone as well.

Well entirely wrong
For MTP connection, it works on my computer. I just had to connect the phone as MTK while installing the OS. Also rom development doesnt need that cuz u have sideload option available there. For app development windows is good but for rom development it isn't.
Rom development doesnt need bluestacks and if developing for nexus then the emulator in sdk works.
Again the drivers are mostly installed or you can do it manually

Neuron

Electronic.
Well entirely wrong
For MTP connection, it works on my computer. I just had to connect the phone as MTK while installing the OS. Also rom development doesnt need that cuz u have sideload option available there. For app development windows is good but for rom development it isn't.
Rom development doesnt need bluestacks and if developing for nexus then the emulator in sdk works.
Again the drivers are mostly installed or you can do it manually

Entirely wrong? I wasn't talking about MTK. I'm talking about MTP which is a pain to get working on linux. And give me a reason why ROM development is better on linux.

Top Bottom