Why Linux OS is prefered by Developers ?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Entirely wrong? I wasn't talking about MTK. I'm talking about MTP which is a pain to get working on linux. And give me a reason why ROM development is better on linux.

Yeah MTP is a part of Windows Media Framework and has close relationship with Windows Media Player. But now everything works on Linux bro. I can connect my XPeria without any issues, neither I need to install any driver at first place. Nowadays Linux got much improved to detect drivers automatically. If not, there are repository of 1000's.

Check the below links for MTP & Android Development

*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/android

Entirely wrong? I wasn't talking about MTK. I'm talking about MTP which is a pain to get working on linux. And give me a reason why ROM development is better on linux.

Sorry, my AUTOCORRECT mistake
It changed mtp to mtk
Sorry for the error (damn you autocorrect!!!)

Neuron

Electronic.
Yeah MTP is a part of Windows Media Framework and has close relationship with Windows Media Player. But now everything works on Linux bro. I can connect my XPeria without any issues, neither I need to install any driver at first place. Nowadays Linux got much improved to detect drivers automatically. If not, there are repository of 1000's.

Check the below links for MTP & Android Development

*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MTP

*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/android

Not all devices will get auto detected. Installing the driver manually is a bit difficult in linux unlike in windows for which drivers are readily available. And do explain why linux is better in developing android ROMs.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Not all devices will get auto detected. Installing the driver manually is a bit difficult in linux unlike in windows for which drivers are readily available. And do explain why linux is better in developing android ROMs.

Well, yes that's correct, installing drivers in linux are not as easy as in windows. But generally people use linux to get the flavor of DIY. It's not as user friendly as windows too. But doing all these (compiling from source etc.) helps you to learn how things works at background. If someone is not intended to learn all these things and is not interested then windows is fine.

Though Ubuntu, Linux Mint have covered much of all these. Chances are 90% of your devices will work without extra hassles on these distros.

Anyway, I didn't commented that "linux is better in developing android ROMs". Though I don't know much about ROM development but I support this statement, because AFAIK you don't need all the hassles of configuring path and all (make etc.) in linux. Android itself is linux. If you develop in windows, you can't do that with TC++. You need MingW (I guess). And you need to have git, make and other utilities installed. I believe some environment exists for things which install everything. All of these aren't necessary in Linux, as these are basics in linux which will be there by default. So basically with the environment installed you run linux commands only.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Neuron

Electronic.
Well, yes that's correct, installing drivers in linux are not as easy as in windows. But generally people use linux to get the flavor of DIY. It's not as user friendly as windows too. But doing all these (compiling from source etc.) helps you to learn how things works at background. If someone is not intended to learn all these things and is not interested then windows is fine.

Though Ubuntu, Linux Mint have covered much of all these. Chances are 90% of your devices will work without extra hassles on these distros.

Anyway, I didn't commented that "linux is better in developing android ROMs". Though I don't know much about ROM development but I support this statement, because AFAIK you don't need all the hassles of configuring path and all (make etc.) in linux. Android itself is linux. If you develop in windows, you can't do that with TC++. You need MingW (I guess). And you need to have git, make and other utilities installed. I believe some environment exists for things which install everything. All of these aren't necessary in Linux, as these are basics in linux which will be there by default. So basically with the environment installed you run linux commands only.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey not everyone who wants to develop for android enjoys learning the functioning of linux OS. And about ROMs that was for arnabbiswas. BTW configuring paths can be done in seconds. And to develop ROMs you have to downloads additional utilities in both windows and linux. But installing additional stuff is not really a concern, their availability is.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Ok I heard two times now, "android is linux". What and how?
I thought android is closely related to java. And linux is written on c++. Someone from other thread said me "half knowledge is very dangerous", so help me here.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Android users Linux based kernel and requires a java based virtual machine called as dalvik to compile (during execution) and run apps, which is thus relatively slower. With android KitKat, another runtime known as art is introduced which precompiles the apps, resulting in increased performance. Though the precompiled apps take more space.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hey not everyone who wants to develop for android enjoys learning the functioning of linux OS. And about ROMs that was for arnabbiswas. BTW configuring paths can be done in seconds. And to develop ROMs you have to downloads additional utilities in both windows and linux. But installing additional stuff is not really a concern, their availability is.

That's what I said. Not everyone wants to RnD and enjoys the same. But nowadays almost everything that's available on Windows is available on Linux too (atleast alternatives exists). For games, linux have it's own games and now also so called hi-end games is also making it's way via steam. Though this may take another year or two.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
they don't, most development is done on Windows because its Windows which is the dominant platform still..
app development investment is still a tiny fraction of what's spent on windows..
i work at adobe, my friends at micrsoft, google, infosys, wipro.. i know.... don't throw some open source linux bs..

they don't, most development is done on Windows because its Windows which is the dominant platform still..
app development investment is still a tiny fraction of what's spent on windows..
i work at adobe, my friends at micrsoft, google, infosys, wipro.. i know.... don't throw some open source linux bs..

Well I can say that most app developers use a pirated version of windoes

And WOAH! where you and your friends work? You are awesome!
Leaving that besides the companies use windows because nearly all people who have used a computer know only the windows OS and Linux will pose a problem and windows offer best services for business so ultimately windows will be preferred

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure, I'm a developer and I use windows extensively. For starters .Net will require windows, so no linux for .Net devs. I work on spring/j2ee and as such the ide(eclipse), server(tomcat or vmware vfabric) works great with windows. Ofcourse I had never made end user standalone apps, I work on custom enterprise apps only.

You've probably never heard of Mono.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Well I can say that most app developers use a pirated version of windoes

Very wrong, many indie developers who plan to go big, startup or entrepreneurs don't use pirated software.
Corps, schools, organizations strictly don't use pirated software.
In fact Indies pay for their entire toolchain.
Its only the casual developer for learning purpose may use pirated software.

PCs, Laptops from hp, dell, toshiba etc come with licensed Windows usually!

Again how Do I know this about indie developers ? Well as a developer myself, I meet fellow developers at conferences.. not just in india btw ;). We discuss things. Everyone pays licensing costs. My friends used to ask me to buy them discounted photoshop... but now with everything going subscription, developers are preferring renting it when required in the development cycle.

- - - Updated - - -

So that's decided, So I guess I have to use both.

Yes, this is it, you have to invest everywhere! Mac for iOS, Windows, Linux if you want to make linux apps..
Android development, you can develop in Windows and test on Android device.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
You've probably never heard of Mono.

Well, that's not at all considered for main stream development and hosting. Atleast I never heard anyone who develops on .NET uses Mono on Linux for hosting his ASP.NET website.

- - - Updated - - -

Corps, schools, organizations strictly don't use pirated software.

Max colleges and schools even small organizations use pirated Windows. I have seen that myself.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Max colleges and schools even small organizations use pirated Windows. I have seen that myself.

Ok, I sort of agree on this, may be in India many schools use pirated windows.
however this wasn't the case at my college, they buy PCs from HP.. which came with licensed windows...
small businesses I have seen, use genuine.. i mean serious guys.. who make more than 1 crore types..

well the photo sutdio next door doesn't though..
but a serious high end wedding photographer who earns lakhs uses genunie stuff.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ok, I sort of agree on this, may be in India many schools use pirated windows.
however this wasn't the case at my college, they buy PCs from HP.. which came with licensed windows...
small businesses I have seen, use genuine.. i mean serious guys.. who make more than 1 crore types..

well the photo sutdio next door doesn't though..
but a serious high end wedding photographer who earns lakhs uses genunie stuff.

Anyway, I believe that depends on the person / oraganization.

Top Bottom