why KDE Sucks

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, after using KDE in Arch, I have never bothered looking back to GNOME. Choice of my DE depends upon on the distro I am using. If I'll use Fedora or Ubuntu, I know that I will have to stick with GNOME. Whereas while on Mandriva, I prefer KDE. I am comfortable with both, but my preference is KDE + Arch.

and vi suck in kde...
:confused: :lol:

Last edited:

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Well, after using KDE in Arch, I have never bothered looking back to GNOME. Choice of my DE depends upon on the distro I am using. If I'll use Fedora or Ubuntu, I know that I will have to stick with GNOME. Whereas while on Mandriva, I prefer KDE. I am comfortable with both, but my preference is KDE + Arch.
Every linux user worth his salt knows about the beauty of Arch. Perfect example of OSS freedom.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
i mean the gui one

Yeah the GUI vim (gvim) sucks irrespective of DE :p
I never use it, I prefer the command line one :D

True ! Arch+KDE is something different

Every linux user worth his salt knows about the beauty of Arch. Perfect example of OSS freedom.

Yeah, freedom to have your system as you want without bloats. :)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Yeah, freedom to have your system as you want without bloats.
I just wish that the installation procedure wouldn't have consumed that much work. But I guess its the reason the distro is also quite efficient. I might try installing Arch again like old times for giggles if I can scrounge the time.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually don't think that installation of Arch consumes much work. The downloading of packages later consumes time rather. :(

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

i mean the gui one
I think you want to talk about something else?

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I just wish that the installation procedure wouldn't have consumed that much work. But I guess its the reason the distro is also quite efficient. I might try installing Arch again like old times for giggles if I can scrounge the time.

I don't think it consumes too much work ?
I had recently installed Arch on my friend's box, not much work though.

I actually don't think that installation of Arch consumes much work. The downloading of packages later consumes time rather. :(

True, but the things have improved. They have changed the package formats to .tar.xz from the old .tar.gz which reduces the package sizes like anything.

OP
G

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
ya arch +kde i was having full kde power seen on my acer 5738 lappy

but i had nightmares with fedora-kde ,suse-kde on pc's n even freinds pc it never even boots

gnome never gave me probs till now be it booting,acpi,graphics,mouting...well some depend on distro but kde was a like making a distro uncertaining of working 100%

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well heres the thing. Ive never had a problem with Arch on a system with a single hard DIsk. But now most systems I have access to have at least 2 :| . Each time I install Arch I run into disk related problems where I end up at a prompt like ramfs . And I cant find anything kind of help that sounds like something that a new person could do to fix the same.

From my experience is if you manage tog et it to run then yes Arch is very good when it comes to performance. However if you are running into an installation problem like I am right now then you are in for one hell of a nightmare.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Well heres the thing. Ive never had a problem with Arch on a system with a single hard DIsk. But now most systems I have access to have at least 2 :| . Each time I install Arch I run into disk related problems where I end up at a prompt like ramfs . And I cant find anything kind of help that sounds like something that a new person could do to fix the same.

From my experience is if you manage tog et it to run then yes Arch is very good when it comes to performance. However if you are running into an installation problem like I am right now then you are in for one hell of a nightmare.
The trick is to have a disk label for / and specify that in the grub line: root=/dev/disk/by-label/FOO
It works irrespective of your IDE/SATA config, etc.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
The trick is to have a disk label for / and specify that in the grub line: root=/dev/disk/by-label/FOO
It works irrespective of your IDE/SATA config, etc.
Ill give that a try when I get some time.

Gauravs90

geek........
I'm noob in linux, i installed ubuntu with gnome and later on installed KDE desktop environment. After booting in KDE it looked better then gnome but after sometime fooling around i realised i liked gnome better.

I geep getting lost in KDE and accidentally removed desktop activity and all my desktop tool gone!
I logged back in gnome and tried to remove it but not able to remove it then i have to format and reinstall ubuntu

Top Bottom