Why Fedora or even gnome, or put it hard way, WHY LINUX??

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

Aijaz Akhtar

Journeyman
sba said:
login as root.
then issue a command "pgrep gdm" (without quotes). you will get a number.
then issue another command "kill -9 number". the number out here is obviously the output you got from last command.
then issue the command gdm again.
As expected, the commands did not work, I went to console with Ctrl-F2, and logged in as root, pgrep gdm command gave two nos. (6270 and 6282). I killed these processes (trial and error gave the right syntex that there need to be a space after kill, then space and then hyphen and 9 without space in between). When I killed the second process, the screen went black and I could not issue the next gdm command. However, I toggled to Ctrl F1 and issued. It said gdm is running at display:0. Toggling between different consoles, once I got the screen, that the display:0 is busy and should gdm be started at another display, selecting no did not change any situation. Selecting Yes brought a Cross sign at the screen and that's all. I tried to reboot, issued all those commands again. In fact I tried this 4 times getting 2 to 4 nos. each time, and killing the last one always brought in the dark screen with no display, and I always had to issue gdm command at another conasole/run level. And then I rebooted every time.
And yes, when I said that many commands too do not work in all dostros, startx is one such that probably is only a KDE command and not in gnome. Is that so? In gnome we have to issue gdm for the same result?
I was expecting Kubuntu CD from a friend, but he could not arrange to send to me from Kolkata. So I am unable to decide if to switch the distro again. And this is the 4th time duroing the last two month or so, that my Xserver has failed, earlier I removed xandros, then Mandrake then PCQ and now Ubuntu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom