Why do I need to install Realtek or Intel Graphics Driver software?

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
I just installed Windows 8.1 Professional on Acer Aspire 5738 from Dreamspark. I need to know whether there is any significant improvement in audio or graphics quality when I install Realtek audio driver (since obviously I can play songs without any issues) or Intel Graphics Driver for my laptop. Otherwise I could very well use the extra disk space to store my documents. What would I miss without them?

Thanks in advance.

> read this: Device driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and this: Let me google that for you

> How much space do you think you'll save by not installing the device drivers?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I have the Windows server 2008 (Win 7 for all intents and purposes) installed from dreamspark on two PC's.

And the catalyst driver (on AMD E350N mobo) and Intel HD Graphics drivers (Core i5 PC) did gave a good boost to the video performance. And irrespective of any Windows or PC, you DO need to have the latest drivers. Sometimes screen resolution doesn't go native unless you update your drivers. And other times, you will get a very low FPS in games. So updating drivers strongly recommended.

pratheeshps

Journeyman
I just installed Windows 8.1 Professional on Acer Aspire 5738 from Dreamspark. I need to know whether there is any significant improvement in audio or graphics quality when I install Realtek audio driver (since obviously I can play songs without any issues) or Intel Graphics Driver for my laptop. Otherwise I could very well use the extra disk space to store my documents. What would I miss without them?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Friend,You are a newbie in the field of Computers .So you don't understand the silliness in your question.Drivers are not a luxury but essential for the proper functioning of your PC.
Here You mentioned Audio & Graphics Driver.For the Audio,you have a Realtek Audio chip in the PC & for the Graphics,you have Intel Graphics chip.For proper audio quality,you must install Realtek Driver otherwise you would hear lowgrade sound quality because of a Generic Driver.
Without the Intel Graphics Driver,you can't use your Display at its full resolution ( say, you have 1080 p display & you are not installing Intel Graphics Driver,you display cannot display beyond 800*600 in which icons & text would be large & distorted).Also you can't play Games at proper settings

You can't save HDD space by uninstalling since they don't take other than a hundred MB of Data.

Device driver is the fundamental of any PC & you should update it whenever a new update for the device is released from the support site.
If you really want to save space,you should try Ccleaner which erases unnecessary Files in your PC

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
@op- You can easily ditch the audio driver. Apart from a bit of volume increase (rarely), and sound quality improvements (you anyway are not going to 'feel' it, most probably), it is almost redundant now for on board sound cards.
But do install the video driver. However, this also may not be a necessity, as some laptops are fully compatible with stock Windows drivers, thereby making driver installation redundant. This applies for everything, from video to chipset to Wi-Fi to Bluetooth to xyz.

Without the Intel Graphics Driver,you can't use your Display at its full resolution ( say, you have 1080 p display & you are not installing Intel Graphics Driver,you display cannot display beyond 800*600 in which icons & text would be large & distorted).Also you can't play Games at proper settings

Nope, you can set the resolution all the way to 768p. 600p limitation is an archaic thing now.

OP
nisargshah95

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Thanks for clearing out my doubts. I installed the drivers.
Hello Friend,You are a newbie in the field of Computers .
Not a newbie :). Just getting my concepts right.
Without the Intel Graphics Driver,you can't use your Display at its full resolution ( say, you have 1080 p display & you are not installing Intel Graphics Driver,you display cannot display beyond 800*600 in which icons & text would be large & distorted).
FYI, I did get native resolution without installing those drivers.
You can't save HDD space by uninstalling since they don't take other than a hundred MB of Data.
Technically speaking, I do save those 100MBs :D.

pratheeshps

Journeyman
@op- You can easily ditch the audio driver.

Audio Driver built in Windows 8 is fine.Though some customisations from OEM can be missed.[/QUOTE]

Nope, you can set the resolution all the way to 768p. 600p limitation is an archaic thing now.

Yes sujay,I missed that.But Generic Driver is not suitable for all laptops & it can cause compatibility issues.Dedicated Graphic cards needs proprietary drivers which cause heating issues in the PC.

Not a newbie :). Just getting my concepts right.

That's Ok...Not Everyone is a Geek..

FYI, I did get native resolution without installing those drivers.

You may get native resolution without driver.Display will not be calibrated without a driver.You can tell the difference by analysing using a generic driver & custom driver.

Technically speaking, I do save those 100MBs :D.

Yes,you can say that. But what does it matter in the world of cheaper terabytes .But you may be sometimes unknown to junk files,Update caches,memory dumps,duplicate files lying around your PC eating your harddisk space.I think you get that.

Top Bottom