Why can't we hav Captcha to resuce spam ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Look at the no. of spams !

At least we can hav a thread going to the trash if anybody report it, and when some moderator examines it he/she can either restore it or delete it.

Nevermind am dreaming again.

Some viable solutions suggested by members to reduce spam:

Critical:

1. Captcha verification for creating a new thread (doesn't work if some bot replies to already created thread)

2. First five posts by any new member should be checked by captcha verification (Will prevent the spam but spam IDs will be registered unless the point 3 is taken into account)

2. First post of a newly registered user must be approved by mods (this works, mods hav to work a bit too )

3. Captcha for registrations (am not aware if digit registration uses captcha, but it will curb the spammers in the bud)

4. Confining a newly registered member to a particular section until his post count increases to say 10 posts or no of days increases to 2 days (will be good in long run)

Improvements:

1. Provide shades of black to the threads depending upon the age of the thread (Black for this year, light black for previous year, more light for others)

2. Lock down the threads older than 2-3 years (if urgent one can PM mod to reopen it)

We hav solutions lest the authorities consider them.

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There is a plug-in for vBulletin which doesnt allow first post to show in forums until its approved by moderators. It definitely help to cut down the spam posts.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^so u r happy with spams ?

I agree with VG, at least first post need to be approved by mods, or there are some forums which allows posting in only one section until the user post count increases to say 10 posts or the day of joining increases to say 2 days.

This will reduce the spam, now even these buggers are including explicit pics.

narangz

Web developer
^^Spams are lesser than genuine posts. So if every first post of a topic needs approval of mods then it's going to be a big problem.

Reporting of spams is the only viable way. It happens on every forum. Being a former co-admin at a 35K+ members forum(which was eventually done to death by power hungry members) I don't think this is the solution. Rest is upto the digit administration :)

Do we have CAPTCHA for registrations?

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Do we have CAPTCHA for registrations?
yeah that was my initial thought of creating this thread

And for approval, am not talking abt every topic approval but the first post made my any new registered memeber should be approved (its likely to catch spam), afther hi/her first post has been approved (i.e. post count increases to 1), he she can post as a normal user.

Reporting of spams is the only viable way.

reporting has some other functions too. a bad post, an offensive reply, a forum violating statment etc.

lol. What if some user trash a useful thread

then he will be trashed (warned) :D

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Also, prevent newly registered users from digging up old posts.
And it would also be nice if, threads older than a couple of months could be closed automatically, if it were really important, we could request a mod to re-open it.

PcEnthu

Linux Learner
Also, prevent newly registered users from digging up old posts.
And it would also be nice if, threads older than a couple of months could be closed automatically, if it were really important, we could request a mod to re-open it.

Rather than closing the old threads, it would be better to shade the thread title in the 'Similar' thread section and in search results, with 3 to 5 colors based upon the age of the thread. For example a bright color for newer threads and dull color for the old threads

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^only if u hav seen those spams, if we had a swf embed option too then u would be playin some art vids too here on digit forum

legolas

Padawan
looks like ad-posts/spam are getting under the skin of quite a few.........
an interest or even obsession for a good cause need not be mocked at necessarily, if not encouraged. if indeed there is a solution, we gain, if not.. nothing is lost anyways.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@pannaguma
I can but not everyone.

The purpose is not to avoid but to uproot.

pannaguma

Turn The Page
an interest or even obsession for a good cause need not be mocked at necessarily, if not encouraged. if indeed there is a solution, we gain, if not.. nothing is lost anyways.
i dont understand how my posts came across as "mocking". it was hardly my intention.........

i am just surprised that spam posts are so distressing to ppl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom