why Assassin's Creed I & II lags

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
hi all ,
I have played and completed Assassin's Creed I & II , but I have played these games with lag on my pc,, even I down settings to lowest with no AA and lowest resolution , there is still lag , I have reinstalled Win 7 , tried both 64 n 32 bit , undated my graphic drivers , Direct x ,,no use ,, even updated game patches ,,, can u tell me why AC I & II is lagging ?>

:cry:

my config ---

Amd Phenom ii 965 x4 BE 3.4ghz processor,
gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H Motherboard,
2gb transcent DDR3 1333mhz + 4gb Corsair DDR3 1333mhz ram
Ati Radeon hd 4770 512 mb graphic card
Cooler master cabinet with Cooler master 400 w psu
Total 1.8tb sata hdd
win 7 64

re: why Assassin's Creed I & II lags

Can't say for sure. It might be an issue with the thermal paste over your processor.
I've faced such sudden lags, and applying a new coat of thermal paste solves the issue.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
re: why Assassin's Creed I & II lags

Check if your PC is overheating.
Check for a resource hogging virus.
Remove the transcend RAM and try to play.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - what about other games ? Are those running fine ?

Before starting AC1 or AC2 - set your power scheme mode to always on.

OP
nvrmndryo

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
well , i can run moder warfare 2 on full grafix smooth , as well as nfs hot persuit , sims 3 , n black ops . mafia ii , just there s some problem with assassins creed i n ii , i dnt knw y ~~
i have all updated drivers ...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Anvil Engine is a bit dodgy in terms of performance, even on some high end hardware. So if you're able to run the above mentioned games without any issues, it's not a given that all games should work the same way. Both Assassin's Creed games are console ports and the engine really takes a toll when it renders large crowd density and their individual shadow effects.

What resolution are you playing it at?

OP
nvrmndryo

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
@ethan : ure probably rite ,

i play all d games on 1440 x 900 , with max AA ,,
About Assassins creed - i tried to lower settings to 800 x 600 with no AA stil there s same lag ,,, Well I m fan of Assassins , n ive completed both games but with crappy lag,,, well i hope Assassins creed 3 will not be like this ..

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Assassin's Creed 1,2 are heavy CPU intensive games. To keep frames solid, a 3Ghz core frequency CPU is necessary.

I have a 2.40Ghz rated CPU core.. and at times, frames drop even to 20. Same on 1920x1080.. all set to high. And 800x600 with all set to low.

We can't completely blame Anvil for that. I played Forgotten Sands, Prince of Persia without any issues. Both were running at rock solid frame rates. May be the way the AC designed, ported (from consoles which had a 3ghz core). The good thing is, it allows you to control crowd density. I used it couple of times, when frames were really low. But no control of Draw Distance. May be developers were shooting to deliver certain experience.. May be they wanted players to see the entire city, even though their frames are running low.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Frame rates were a concern on the console too. Xbox 360 somehow managed to hold up AC2 at 30fps in most instances, but Brotherhood struggled in some parts. PS3 version turned out to be bouncy and faced tearing issues. My brother had completed AC II on the PC and said it was pretty smooth with maxed out settings.

Prince of Persia & Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands dropped frames pretty badly in my case. The former was tried when I had a relatively weaker E6300 processor. The latter chugged even when I had an E8400. I eventually gave up trying to figure out what's wrong with this engine and decided to get them for consoles only.

I think the OP's specs is pretty good, so there's no reason why it should struggle at the resolution he's playing at. My memory is a bit fuzzy, does this game cap the frame rates to 30fps when V-Sync is enabled?

axes2t2

I am a cat
Try the basics like defraging your hdd and turning of the antivirus.Also switch off the internet as it might be updating something in the game.

varunb

Working in an IT company
Ethan & vamsi have said an important point. Various people on other forums have reported that even with configs like Core i7, 8GB RAM, etc the AC2' fps was not upto the mark. The game is a poor PC port. I recently upgraded my CPU to AMD quad core & my fps in AC2 only increased by 10Hz. Its clear that Ubisoft didn't do their job properly of optimizing it before releasing to general public.

About AC1, I am not sure. Others have already given u various suggestions. The only thing about AC1 I remember is its buggy antialiasing. Don't use the in-game AA. Also make sure that you have installed the 1.02 patch. AC1 was downgraded from directx 10.1 to directx 10 in its very first patch. here's the link to its 1.02 patch:

Assassin's Creed Patch v1.02 -> 35MB

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Try the basics like defraging your hdd and turning of the antivirus.Also switch off the internet as it might be updating something in the game.
You can't play AC II, if you ought to disable the Internet connection. The DRM implemented in the game, requires an 'always-on' connection.

OP
nvrmndryo

nvrmndryo

Mr.Awesome
well, There is nothin I can do for this ,,, I mean my ram was only 2GB then I upgraded it to 6GB just for Playing games , n no use atleast for AC and GTA IV !

Well, I forgot to ask tht wht the matter about GTA IV ?? I tried everything , but it never runs smoothly ?? I bought GTA IV : Liberty city stories .. its the same ,,
Y GTA IV is not running smoothly on my pc ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
GTA: IV is one of the worst console ports ever to grace the PC. Getting it to run properly is a combination of meddling around with the right settings AND applying one patch after another. You just need to keep adjusting the settings until you get the right ones that match your system requirement. There was also a txt file that I remember using back when I played the game. It had a few tweaks which would "marginally" improve the performance. I'll post it, if I can find it.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Prince of Persia & Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands dropped frames pretty badly in my case. The former was tried when I had a relatively weaker E6300 processor. The latter chugged even when I had an E8400. I eventually gave up trying to figure out what's wrong with this engine and decided to get them for consoles only.

Quite opposite for me. I had a 60FPS count even when there are 100enemies on the screen. But.. thins slow down a bit, when we freeze the water. Especially if we freeze the water outdoors.

I think the OP's specs is pretty good, so there's no reason why it should struggle at the resolution he's playing at. My memory is a bit fuzzy, does this game cap the frame rates to 30fps when V-Sync is enabled?

Nope. It won't. It will let the FPS go.

Top Bottom