Why 720p videos have width less than that?

akhilc47

Journeyman
Why 720p videos have height less than that?

This is a silly doubt I've been having for a long time. Whenever I get a video file named as 720p or BRrip or 1080p their actual video frame height is less. Like 536 or so for 720p files. My idea was HD is 1280*720 and fHD is 1920*1080. But for almost all these files width is exactly 1280/1920 but height is less. So what's the deal with this? Height is not important?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
because HD resolution aspect ratio(16:9) is different from cinema/theater screen aspect ratio(2.35:1).unless movies are shot in 16:9 aspect ratio(which is very unlikely) you will get those black bars on top & bottom(aka reduced vertical length) even with original blu-ray disc.

flyingcow

Shibe
because HD resolution aspect ratio(16:9) is different from cinema/theater screen aspect ratio(2.35:1).unless movies are shot in 16:9 aspect ratio(which is very unlikely) you will get those black bars on top & bottom(aka reduced vertical length) even with original blu-ray disc.
yes...that is why we only get sometimes 800 as video height

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Width is important. Its just that most p!rates dont care about the exact height.
Neither do most downloaders.

You can only get so much with p!racy.

flyingcow

Shibe
sometimes the 1080 p is referred to the vertical height+black bars...so the whole picture ends up being 1080 but in the torrent description they mention1920x 800p etc..
happened in my case a few days ago

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
sometimes, while downloading anime, i've came across encodes which are actually 720*400p resolution and some people call it 720p encodes. :facepalm:
Need to stay away from those kind of people.

Gollum

Collector
sometimes, while downloading anime, i've came across encodes which are actually 720*400p resolution and some people call it 720p encodes. :facepalm:
Need to stay away from those kind of people.

need to stay away from luffy....he's a piratzees

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Re: Why 720p videos have height less than that?

i had the same doubt ,but then there is nothing to complain. all 720p/1080p rips look great. yify baba ki jai!

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Re: Why 720p videos have height less than that?

all 720p/1080p rips look great
ya can't complain. It's just that I sometime check the dimension before starting the movie and it's almost always not true HD. then again can't complain :p

no no, publicHD is the Best. 9+ GB of awesomeness
I also downloads YIFY and it gives pretty decent quality. Is 9+ GB for a single file? Is it really worth it? I mean I don't have a great display or speakers.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@OP: don't worry about the resolutions...whether its 720p or 1080p..

all u need to look for is the bitrate of the video (the more bitrate the more clarity it has)
so a 720p video looks amazing if it has excellent bitrate

flyingcow

Shibe
@OP: don't worry about the resolutions...whether its 720p or 1080p..

all u need to look for is the bitrate of the video (the more bitrate the more clarity it has)
so a 720p video looks amazing if it has excellent bitrate
i think both are equally important...what use of a high bitrate video if the resolution is very less?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
did nobody read my previous post?
most p!rates dont care about the exact height.You can only get so much with p!racy.
sometimes the 1080 p is referred to the vertical height+black barssometimes the 1080 p is referred to the vertical height+black bars
It's just that I sometime check the dimension before starting the movie and it's almost always not true HD.

HD aspect ratio(16:9)=/=Cinema/theater screen aspect ratio(2.35:1,2.39:1,2.40:1)
1280*720 or 1920*1080 are HD resolutions with 16:9 aspect ratio while 1280*536 & 1980*800 are cinema/theater screen aspect ratio which is what you will get even if you buy original blu-ray.this is why you get real 720p & 1080p TV programs because they are not filmed in cinema screen aspect ratio.anything meant for theater will never have 16:9 aspect ratio(aka real 1920*1080 or 1280*720 resolution).

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
HD aspect ratio(16:9)=/=Cinema/theater screen aspect ratio(2.35:1,2.39:1,2.40:1)
1280*720 or 1920*1080 are HD resolutions with 16:9 aspect ratio while 1280*536 & 1980*800 are cinema/theater screen aspect ratio which is what you will get even if you buy original blu-ray.this is why you get real 720p & 1080p TV programs because they are not filmed in cinema screen aspect ratio.anything meant for theater will never have 16:9 aspect ratio(aka real 1920*1080 or 1280*720 resolution).

Thanks for the explanation man... I was always thinking movie uploaders are not doing it properly.hehe.. So general movies are not truly full-HD. 2.35:1 is too wide for home screens I guess? Then how come HD resolution get so much hype? Only youtube videos are giving true HD file.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
all HD programs on TV are real HD resolution & the reason for HD hype.people see movies in theater that too once a month or even not that considering current quality of movies but people watch TV/TV programs daily & that's where HD matters.

beside resolution & bitrate there is also quality of display.on a cheap TN panel lcd there is no need for a 5-6gb 720p file(standard 720p size for typical hollywood action movie) as even a less bitrate 2-3gb 720p file will also be fine.

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
I generally store <3gb movies (except some 20 or so good movies which I keep 5-11gb prints). I have a laptop which is not fHD but I still keep the files for future purposes. How exactly does a 2gb and 10gb video files differ? Assuming I have a very good display? I'm asking this because if they doesn't differ that much I can save some space. Also does audio have much importance in determining file size?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
How exactly does a 2gb and 10gb video files differ? Assuming I have a very good display? I'm asking this because if they doesn't differ that much I can save some space. Also does audio have much importance in determining file size?

well, u will have to compare both the videos and 10gb one excels in quality of a 2gb

Top Bottom