Who are these people who made Chrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
Chrome is a very good browser. Everything about it, right from being lightweight, to the faster page loads and the auto fill feature is great. But when it comes to opening a pdf file it still uses the same f**king adobe which works like a dinosaur in this age of speed. I don't understand why can't these software geeks do something right at least once in their lives. Why do they always have to keep something incomplete or have some kind of a glitch in their softwares? I am using vista and have searched and searched to no end to get this issue fixed but it seems this problem has been kept pending for a very long time by the nerds at google. If anyone has any solutions please let me know. I want to use foxit as my default pdf reader in chrome.

Thanks

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Re: Who are these a$$holes who made Chrome?

Then why don't you have only Foxit in ur PC?
May be when u installed Adobe PDF reader, it made itself default application to handle all PDF files.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Re: Who are these a$$holes who made Chrome?

You sir are a noob and have no idea what are you talking about. :|
It's absolutely no fault of Chrome devs for Adobe plugin being such a bloat. You have made Adobe Plugin to handle PDFs and blame the Chrome for it, sheesh. Does this make the thread title apply to YOU? :lol:
Anyway remove that damned plugin, eat humble pie, and research before blaming.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I literally Lol'ed at this thread. Anyway I changed the topic to make it much more appropriate. Please try to refrain from cursing others for your own fault. kthxbai.

I work fine with Chrome with that adobe plugin. However the SEO plugin sometimes hangs but it is also good. Chrome devs are doing a great job. I see no point in scolding them just bcoz of a third party plugin !

pushkar

Journeyman
Everything about it, right from being lightweight, to the faster page loads and the auto fill feature is great.

I don't understand why can't these software geeks do something right at least once in their lives. Why do they always have to keep something incomplete or have some kind of a glitch in their softwares?
It's funny how you praise Chrome so much in the opening sentences, then do a 180° and totally bash it in the next sentence. Good work.

OP
Incredible Hulk

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
You sir are a noob and have no idea what are you talking about. :|
It's absolutely no fault of Chrome devs for Adobe plugin being such a bloat. You have made Adobe Plugin to handle PDFs and blame the Chrome for it, sheesh. Does this make the thread title apply to YOU? :lol:
Anyway remove that damned plugin, eat humble pie, and research before blaming.

It seems u dont know ne thing about chrome and are calling me a noob. I never talked about any plugin and also my default pdf viewer is foxit not adobe. My pet peeve against chrome is that they have adobe as the default pdf viewer which is such a nag compared to foxit. Foxit is the world's most preferred pdf viewer and is a 1000 times better than adobe. But still chrome has to incorporate adobe which is the one irritating flaw in such a fantastic browser. Why cudn't they just use foxit? Well never mind if they didn't use it. Why cudn't they at least give us an option to change the default pdf viewer to one of our choice?

It's funny how you praise Chrome so much in the opening sentences, then do a 180° and totally bash it in the next sentence. Good work.

I praised chrome and that's correct. But don't u get irritated when everything seems to be going great but there is that one thing and for some unknown reason spoils the entire fun?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Why cudn't they at least give us an option to change the default pdf viewer to one of our choice?
Have you tried the regular solution of copying the Firefox plugin to the Chrome Directory? At least it was done like that on previous versions. As I'm on Ubuntu right now I would prefer not to test by going back to Windows.

Here is the exact steps to perform to get the same running

Out of curiosity what happens if you don't have Adobe Reader installed at all?

OP
Incredible Hulk

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
Have you tried the regular solution of copying the Firefox plugin to the Chrome Directory? At least it was done like that on previous versions. As I'm on Ubuntu right now I would prefer not to test by going back to Windows.

Here is the exact steps to perform to get the same running

Out of curiosity what happens if you don't have Adobe Reader installed at all?

I have already gone thru this. But I m using vista and can't locate this directory: \Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins\ which seems to be a path under XP. So can u direct me to the directory under vista where I can copy this plugin? One more thing why do I have to use a firefox plugin for chrome? U were earlier laughing at my post, now can u explain why does chrome need to use a firefox plugin? I hope u can understand the frustration of real chrome users like me and wud appreciate it if u stopped making stupid comments like those of others who were calling me a noob when actually they know nothing about chrome.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I have already gone thru this. But I m using vista and can't locate this directory: \Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins\ which seems to be a path under XP. So can u direct me to the directory under vista where I can copy this plugin? One more thing why do I have to use a firefox plugin for chrome? U were earlier laughing at my post, now can u explain why does chrome need to use a firefox plugin? I hope u can understand the frustration of real chrome users like me and wud appreciate it if u stopped making stupid comments like those of others who were calling me a noob when actually they know nothing about chrome.

You know what ? I've come this close to people whining about products which tend to have one or two minor errors and suddenly all those who developed it and his grandmothers dog suddenly should jump off a bridge for it. Lets see how you started off this thread.
Chrome is a very good browser
Everything about it, right from being lightweight, to the faster page loads and the auto fill feature is great.
And then suddenly
But when it comes to opening a pdf file it still uses the same f**king adobe which works like a dinosaur in this age of speed.
I don't understand why can't these software geeks do something right at least once in their lives.
Not to mention I had to edit the topic title to make it look appropriate without the curses. Do you seriously think my job is to come behind you and clean out every moronic word you spew forth on the forum.

Now here comes my questions. Did you take the time to submit your feedback at the Google Chrome Forums, oh, all mighty Chrome User ? My Lord the humble company has started started developing a plugin which should work under Chrome as well soon. Venerable Chrome user , would you have happened to have known that one of the Google Employees has started a thread
just to find out what your experience is with opening pdf files are?

All of this would have probably taken 1 - 2 seconds of your time Googling but no, you just had to open a thread going ballistic on the above mentioned. Now that my rant is partially over I'll answer your post line by line and take the time to spoon feed you further.

have already gone thru this. But I m using vista and can't locate this directory: \Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins\ which seems to be a path under XP. So can u direct me to the directory under vista where I can copy this plugin?
1. You have already searched for the same folder?
2. You have tried recreating the plugin folder?
3. Have you made sure you can see Hidden Folders just in case they aren't shown ?
4. Do you happen to have a C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins folder?

One more thing why do I have to use a firefox plugin for chrome?
Because their plug-in is either bugged, not finished or isn't compatible for Chrome and because using the Firefox plugin is an acceptable workaround for most people.

U were earlier laughing at my post, now can u explain why does chrome need to use a firefox plugin?
I still Lol on a scale you can't imagine and I'm sure you can understand what's written above.
I hope u can understand the frustration of real chrome users like me and wud appreciate it if u stopped making stupid comments like those of others who were calling me a noob when actually they know nothing about chrome.

*img191.imageshack.us/img191/8105/31939483.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us​

You came here started a thread in a way you deserved what you got. I use Chrome on Linux and Windows so I really don't understand what you are referring to by a "Real Chrome User". As for the comments, well you reap what you sow so keep it up Einstein.

This is why you should learn to ask your questions without resorting to using profanity. You think its going to make you look macho and stuff but it really just makes you look really stupid.

Last edited:

pushkar

Journeyman
Chrome sucks ..
Thank you for coming.

But I m using vista and can't locate this directory: \Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins\ which seems to be a path under XP. So can u direct me to the directory under vista where I can copy this plugin?
The Vista equivalent should be something like
Code:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
The Vista equivalent should be something like
Code:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
Yes this sounds like the correct folder indeed in Vista :) . Doing a search I was able to confirm this now also.
Paths for XP and Vista Respectively

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
It seems u dont know ne thing about chrome and are calling me a noob. I never talked about any plugin and also my default pdf viewer is foxit not adobe. My pet peeve against chrome is that they have adobe as the default pdf viewer which is such a nag compared to foxit. Foxit is the world's most preferred pdf viewer and is a 1000 times better than adobe. But still chrome has to incorporate adobe which is the one irritating flaw in such a fantastic browser. Why cudn't they just use foxit? Well never mind if they didn't use it. Why cudn't they at least give us an option to change the default pdf viewer to one of our choice?
You still make me laugh. :lol:
I normally dont use Windows, and in Linux Chrome/Chromium opens the PDF in PDF readers such as Evince/Okular in Gnome/KDE respectively. Rebooted, just to test it in Windows.
As I suspected, Chrome only downloads the PDF file and thereby you can open it after download. If I had any PDF reader installed in Windows, I could have opened it just like any other file. (Obviously neither Adobe or its plugin were installed, nor was Foxit actually)
The fact is that you have INSTALLED Adobe Reader, that its plugin has been installed, and that plugin has been configured to handle PDF which reinforces that this was no fault of Chrome or its devs which you were so trying to potray with a rather moronic description.
And thus proved that you have absolutely NO IDEA how things works and you are officially teh new NOTW. :)

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Oh yes in Vista/Server 2008/7, it's C:\Users rather than Document and Settings and all.

OP
Incredible Hulk

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
You know what ? I've come this close to people whining about products which tend to have one or two minor errors and suddenly all those who developed it and his grandmothers dog suddenly should jump off a bridge for it. Lets see how you started off this thread.

And then suddenly

Not to mention I had to edit the topic title to make it look appropriate without the curses. Do you seriously think my job is to come behind you and clean out every moronic word you spew forth on the forum.

Now here comes my questions. Did you take the time to submit your feedback at the Google Chrome Forums, oh, all mighty Chrome User ? My Lord the humble company has started started developing a plugin which should work under Chrome as well soon. Venerable Chrome user , would you have happened to have known that one of the Google Employees has started a thread
just to find out what your experience is with opening pdf files are?

All of this would have probably taken 1 - 2 seconds of your time Googling but no, you just had to open a thread going ballistic on the above mentioned. Now that my rant is partially over I'll answer your post line by line and take the time to spoon feed you further.

1. You have already searched for the same folder?
2. You have tried recreating the plugin folder?
3. Have you made sure you can see Hidden Folders just in case they aren't shown ?
4. Do you happen to have a C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins folder?

Because their plug-in is either bugged, not finished or isn't compatible for Chrome and because using the Firefox plugin is an acceptable workaround for most people.

I still Lol on a scale you can't imagine and I'm sure you can understand what's written above.

*img191.imageshack.us/img191/8105/31939483.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us​

You came here started a thread in a way you deserved what you got. I use Chrome on Linux and Windows so I really don't understand what you are referring to by a "Real Chrome User". As for the comments, well you reap what you sow so keep it up Einstein.

This is why you should learn to ask your questions without resorting to using profanity. You think its going to make you look macho and stuff but it really just makes you look really stupid.

I went thru ur entire post and am sorry to say that it is full of crap. It seems u have just copy pasted this info by searching on google and which I have already done. I created this thread only after going thru tons and tons of google searches to fix this issue. But it seems many others are facing this issue too and there is no solution or the solution is not easily available. I think u need to experience this problem yourself and then comment on it. Let me first make my issue a little more clear with all the specs and configs involved.

So here goes:
I use vista home edition on my laptop.
My default pdf vewer is foxit 3.2.1.0401
I have chrome 4.1.249.1045 installed.

Now whenever I try to download any pdf file online it starts a blank page of acrobat reader 3.0 and just stays there. There is no sign of the pdf opening. I went thru the above steps which u mentioned. I will tell u exactly what I did:

1. I went to foxit and clicked on check for upgrades. I then selected for the firefox plugin.

2. Went to directory for the firefox plugins and copied npFoxitReaderPlugin.dll.
I then tried locating the directory Application\Plugins\ under
\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\ but unfortunately there is no such folder there. So I created an Applications folder and also a Plugins folder in it. I then pasted npFoxitReaderPlugin.dll in it.

3. Next I tried searching for the FoxitReaderOCX.ocx but I cudn't find that either. I searched my whole hdd including sys and hidden files but no file.
So now what?

U mentioned that there is a plugin going to be released for foxit. Can u please provide me the link for it?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I went thru ur entire post and am sorry to say that it is full of crap. It seems u have just copy pasted this info by searching on google and which I have already done. I created this thread only after going thru tons and tons of google searches to fix this issue. But it seems many others are facing this issue too and there is no solution or the solution is not easily available. I think u need to experience this problem yourself and then comment on it. Let me first make my issue a little more clear with all the specs and configs involved.
What is it that I have exactly copied again ? What I can't understand is why persist on being rude. Read this quote again.
You could have just asked the question like you did below.
U mentioned that there is a plugin going to be released for foxit. Can u please provide me the link for it?
But no you just had to continue your rant. I'm going to go ahead and warn you. You utter one more abusive word and I will hand out my first infraction.
Now that we got that clear lets talk technicals.
So here goes:
I use vista home edition on my laptop.
My default pdf vewer is foxit 3.2.1.0401
I have chrome 4.1.249.1045 installed.
I don't use Vista, I use Windows XP.
I think u need to experience this problem yourself and then comment on it.
*img51.imageshack.us/img51/5603/pdffilechrome.th.jpg​
This is a picture of me opening a pdf file in Chrome Using the Foxit plugin made for Firefox obviously.
Now whenever I try to download any pdf file online it starts a blank page of acrobat reader 3.0 and just stays there. There is no sign of the pdf opening. I went thru the above steps which u mentioned. I will tell u exactly what I did:
Have tried what I have been asking for the past few posts? Did you actually try removing Adobe reader and see if it does work otherwise? Do this before you perform the rest.
1. I went to foxit and clicked on check for upgrades. I then selected for the firefox plugin.
Firefox Plugin for Foxit Reader download this and install it in Foxit Reader. .
2. Went to directory for the firefox plugins and copied npFoxitReaderPlugin.dll.
I then tried locating the directory Application\Plugins\ under
\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\ but unfortunately there is no such folder there. So I created an Applications folder and also a Plugins folder in it. I then pasted npFoxitReaderPlugin.dll in it.
After you install the above check if you can find both files now. If you can find both files then copy them to the mentioned folder in Vista.
If you cant Ill attach the ocx file here.

Last edited:
OP
Incredible Hulk

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
[ur'=*cdn01.foxitsoftware.com/pub/foxit/reader/desktop/win/addon/firefox_plugins_2009.11.17.fzip]Firefox Plugin for Foxit Reader download this and install it in Foxit Reader. [/url] .

How do I open this file? Whenever I open it, it asks for a default program. What is it?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
How do I open this file? Whenever I open it, it asks for a default program. What is it?
Its a Fzip file which is used for Foxit Updates. Open Fox it Reader and do the following.

Go to Help > Install Updates and Browse to the file and install it.

OP
Incredible Hulk

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
Its a Fzip file which is used for Foxit Updates. Open Fox it Reader and do the following.

Go to Help > Install Updates and Browse to the file and install it.

Thnx, the issue has been partly resolved. I registered the ocx file successfully. Now I dont get a blank acrobat page when I try to open a pdf but the pdfs still open in acrobat instead of foxit, even though foxit is my default. So how do I fix this? U had mentioned earlier that chrome is going to release a plugin for foxit. Can u provide the link where it says so?

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
The support folk at Chrome has sort of said that they would of release a plugin which would allow to correctly open pdf files. This information can be seen on their Chrome support forums. I was of the assumption they would have released it by now but I'm not sure if they did.

Here is a thread by a staffer on Google who was querying everyones problems in opening pdf files on Chrome.

The thread also contains other solutions like going to the preferences windows and making sure that the option for displaying a PDF in the browser option is also selected. However I'm still curious as to what happens when you uninstall all instances of adobe reader. After all its just small download anyway. Just uninstall an instance of adobe reader on your computer. There are threads which also explain issues involving the usage of Adobe Pro .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom