White noise on linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitun

Broken In
I currently upgraded my system.i put a new motherboard (intel D102GGC2), processor (intel Pentium 4, 3066 MHz,x86-64) sata hard disk (160 GB).the motherboard come with ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 (64MB) graphics.the system runs fine in win xp.but whn i tried to install linux on it the graphics i saw was a copmlete mess.i just got white noise.i tried suse 10,10.1,fc4,fc5,mandriva 2006.xandros and ubuntu hung in during the intalation.can some one plz help me i need a linux distro in my system.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I guess you will need to download and install drviers for the graphics chip. ATI is a big problem when it comes to linux.

OP
J

jitun

Broken In
i cant do nething on the system.how can i install the driver if i cant see nething.on the initial boot i just see white noise jst like the cable of a tv pulled out.

ps-btw i m thinking to upgrade the graphic card next month.so can someone confirm will suse 10.1 will work on geforce cards

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Yup.. it works fine wid geforce cards.. Though i doubt that the ATI card is the cause of your problem..

mehulved

jitun said:
i cant do nething on the system.how can i install the driver if i cant see nething.on the initial boot i just see white noise jst like the cable of a tv pulled out.

ps-btw i m thinking to upgrade the graphic card next month.so can someone confirm will suse 10.1 will work on geforce cards
OK to confirm press alt+ ctrl + F1. See if you see command line there, something like a DOS box(sorry I dunno how well are you versed with linux).
Then give this command
Code:
dmesg | tail
If you cannot understand what's there just type this
Code:
dmesg | tail > dmesg.txt
and give the dmsg.txt file here, someone may be able to sort it out then.

demoninside

In the zone
ON which stage on installation you are getting this problem first tell this,

then i might help in ur case,

By the way anyone knows where is GNUrag these days,

Come back after a long time and every thing have been changed here.

mehulved

demoninside said:
By the way anyone knows where is GNUrag these days,
GNUrag is seen around here but doesn't post much. Busy person that he's become now ;).

demoninside said:
Come back after a long time and every thing have been changed here.
Things always keep on changing.

jigslinx

Broken In
This problem occures if you have Newest graphics card. There are two cause of this problem. Firstly open System Info tools from K>System Tools>System Info and select Memory. See if swap space is activated or not. If it is then open the file xorg.conf from /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Make a backup copy using cp like this
#cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf xorg.conf.old
Then in the Drivers's section add the line
Option "ShadowFB" "Yes/True/on/1"
save the file and restart the PC.
If you can't work in graphical environment then boot into text mode or select Recovery mode from Login menu of gdm/kdm. It will give you a terminal. So you can't open the Memory page of System Info. Try editing xorg.conf file and see if it works. It has solved the problem for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom