Which will consume less power?

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
So I have an old desktop with Pentium D 2.8GHz,2GB RAM,a 17 inch lcd monitor and 2 Seagate barracudas 250GB and 1TB.
And a comparatively new Dell XPS l502x with i7-2620QM,4GB DDR3,500GB HDD and Nvidia GT525M(with optimus technology).
So If I want to download torrents overnight which system will consume less electricity assuming that display is off in both cases?

Cilus

laborare est orare
But that doesn't mean that you will turn it on for the whole night everyday for downloading. There is a high chance that it will reduce the battery life because of continious usage and heat generation.

Use the Pentium D based system for downloading. While downloading the CPU will remain it its idle state for most of the time and power consumption won't be that high.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
So If I want to download torrents overnight which system will consume less electricity assuming that display is off in both cases?
I will never recommend to make a laptop(no matter how cheap/expensive) a download PC. Never.

The battery life severely degrades when connected to power everytime. It is wise to remove charger when battery is fully charged. The effects won't be immediate but over prolonged usage the battery will last as less as half an hour.

Just use the Pentium D as download rig. The CPU usage more or less remains 0 when you use a Torrent client.

OP
lovedonator

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
But that doesn't mean that you will turn it on for the whole night everyday for downloading. There is a high chance that it will reduce the battery life because of continious usage and heat generation.

Use the Pentium D based system for downloading. While downloading the CPU will remain it its idle state for most of the time and power consumption won't be that high.

I will never recommend to make a laptop(no matter how cheap/expensive) a download PC. Never.

The battery life severely degrades when connected to power everytime. It is wise to remove charger when battery is fully charged. The effects won't be immediate but over prolonged usage the battery will last as less as half an hour.

Just use the Pentium D as download rig. The CPU usage more or less remains 0 when you use a Torrent client.

That's what I thought exactly.Thanx everyone for the replies.

Top Bottom