which version is best for Radeon HD 6870

avpradee

Broken In
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a graphics card for a budget of 11k Rs.

Based on various reviews i found Radeon HD 6870 to be the best.

Now i am confused which version of Radeon HD 6870 (MSI,Gigabyte,Sapphire..etc) to buy

Please help me out.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Since everyone says MSI, I'll say Gigabyte :p

Really, the brand isn't that important since they're all the same cards anyway. Of course, the MSI is overclocked, but others are too (possibly, that is). Just pick whatever you like.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I would say asus. Its direct cu II series are built like a tank and can be overclocked like crazy.

But msi has good service and it too has very good build quality.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since everyone says MSI, I'll say Gigabyte :p

Really, the brand isn't that important since they're all the same cards anyway. Of course, the MSI is overclocked, but others are too (possibly, that is). Just pick whatever you like.

Gigabyte gfx cards are very hard to find - next comes asus but MSI gfx cards are available in most places ;-)

I would say asus. Its direct cu II series are built like a tank and can be overclocked like crazy.

But msi has good service and it too has very good build quality.

but don't you think MSI HD6870 Twin Frozr II / HAWK will run much cooler as they have two fans and can be OCed more for better cooling ;-)

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
direct cu runs really cooler my gts450 didn't cross 60c after running furmark for 5 mins fan at 100% fixed ambient was 30-33c

& vicky mentioned directcu II which should be better than directcu

AcceleratorX

Youngling
My estimation based on just looks of the cooler (Don't have these cards so this probably isn't very accurate, but still):

Twin Frozr > DirectCU
HAWK < DirectCU

Of course, there are exceptions - some HAWK models actually have TF coolers, etc. but this is a basic ballpark estimate.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ mithun_mrg - Asus HD6870 DCII must be better than only DC but TWin Frozr II / HAWK with two fans are better in cooling as 2x fan means more cooling and OC potential

@ AcceleratorX - foir HD6870 the proper format should be HAWK > Twin Frozr > DCII > DC ;-)

BTW, here' some prove ;-)

Overclock :
Asus HD6870 DCII max Clock 950/4800
MSI HD6870 HAwk max Clock 1057/5020

Power Draw :
Asus HD6870 DCII : 312W
MSI HD6870 HAwk : 295

Temps :
Asus HD6870 DCII : 75c
MSI HD6870 HAwk : 67c

For your Information the cooler used on HAwk is called TFIII and it's clear that with 2x fan and better power distribution components MSI HD6870 Hawk can be oced more , has less temp and power Darw - so HD6870 Hawk is better ;-)

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
MSI R6870 Hawk, mine's clocked at 960 core and 1150 memory @stock voltage absolutely stable.. Never goes above 67C when gaming :D ;D I bought it around 2 months ago at 11.5k.

Top Bottom