Which UPS to buy for my configuration?

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hai,

I want to buy a UPS and I want to know which UPS is best for my configuration and it must be cheaper at most.

I have the following configuration:

Intel Core i3 4130,
Gigabyte B85M-D3H,
Gainward GTX650Ti Boost 2GB,
Kingston V+200 240GB SSD,
Corsair TX650M,
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz RED,
Asus 24B5ST DVD-RW,
Antec Tricool 120mm 3 BLUE LED Fans,
Cooler Master 140mm 2 BLUE LED Fans,
Dell ST2220L LED.

Recommended Minimum PSU Wattage:
*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/4.jpg*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/3.jpg*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/6.jpg*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/W.jpg

I already have a HP 800VA UPS where its power switch is not working properly.Should I have to repair it or buy a new UPS. Please suggest in this regard...

PS: HP 800VA UPS has stopped working permanently.

Last edited:
OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hai,

I want to buy a UPS and I want to know which UPS is best for my configuration and it must be cheaper at most. Is APC 600VA enough for my system or do I need 1100VA UPS?

I have the following configuration:

Intel Core i3 4130,
Gigabyte B85M-D3H,
Corsair TX650M,
Asus 24B5ST DVD-RW,
Dell ST2220L LED.

Recommended Minimum PSU Wattage:
*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/4.jpg*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/3.jpg*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/6.jpg*www.coolermaster.outervision.com/cm/images/W.jpg

Anybody???

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
APC 600VA should be enough for 95% of the time but will be cutting it very close at 100% system load assuming nothing else is connected to ups(monitor,speaker etc).

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
APC 600VA should be enough for 95% of the time but will be cutting it very close at 100% system load assuming nothing else is connected to ups(monitor,speaker etc).

So APC 600VA is enough even with the following config with this monitor attached.
If APC 600VA is not enough for the monitor then APC 800VA is enough,Please suggest me in this regard.

Intel Core i3 4130,
Gigabyte B85M-D3H,
Corsair TX650M,
Asus 24B5ST DVD-RW,
Dell ST2220L LED.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
better get APC 800VA to be on safe side.600VA will be enough for your setup+monitor at moderate load but no guarantee at 100% load.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Yep, it should be

- - - Updated - - -

You have a 650Ti Boost connected? If so then if there is power cut during gaming then you probably wont get any backup. Else while not gaming you would get around 4-5 Mins easily.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^not true.from anandtech review on a test setup with Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.3GHz:
AnandTech | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Review: Bringing Balance To The Force
289w total system power consumption while running BF3.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Yep, it should be

- - - Updated - - -

You have a 650Ti Boost connected? If so then if there is power cut during gaming then you probably wont get any backup. Else while not gaming you would get around 4-5 Mins easily.

So I won't get backup while gaming right and what is the right UPS which will support even while gaming? Is it 800VA or 1100VA?

APC 800VA is 4400 where as APC 1100VA is 5400.

saswat23

Human Spambot
^^not true.from anandtech review on a test setup with Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.3GHz:
AnandTech | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost Review: Bringing Balance To The Force
289w total system power consumption while running BF3.

Then why does my system shut down immediately if I am gaming and power goes off? I hardly get 10 seconds backup while gaming.
Why so?

- - - Updated - - -

So I won't get backup while gaming right and what is the right UPS which will support even while gaming? Is it 800VA or 1100VA?

APC 800VA is 4400 where as APC 1100VA is 5400.

Then APC 1100VA is a better option.
But you have already bought APC 600VA, so why dont you check yourself if there is any such problem.
While gaming, switch off the mains and see if the UPS is able to backup. If you get 1-2 mins then its enough for shutting down you PC safely.
But I dont even get 1 min backup while gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is VGUARD 600VA though.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
My APC 600VA is not giving any backup while gaming and while normal browsing its giving 2 mins backup.
I will get APC 1100VA UPS @ 5400 in the future and sell off my new APC 600VA UPS bought @2100 just 2 days ago.

icebags

Technomancer
Is APC 600VA enough for my system or do I need 1100VA UPS?
r u thinking about running prime95 + gpu stress + all drives with capacitor aged smps from ups ? :D

436 is possibly the maximum power requirement for your system, normally it will consume 80-90w (idle) to 250-300 (gaming). so, any 600VA will do the job. just check the battery, lead acid battery lasts ~3yrs, and in their last days, they tend to fail very sooner than usual.

if ur ups is older than 2.5 years, and not giving proper backup, have ur battery changed with one new ups battery at local dealer's.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
backup time depends on battery inside ups & it decreases with time.most ups batteries start giving up at heavy load after 2 years of usage.i already suggested to get 800VA as 600VA might not be able to cut it at heavy load & that is what happened.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
backup time depends on battery inside ups & it decreases with time.most ups batteries start giving up at heavy load after 2 years of usage.i already suggested to get 800VA as 600VA might not be able to cut it at heavy load & that is what happened.

Can I use a 800VA battery from my previous HP 800VA UPS for my present APC 600VA UPS so that it might support the heavy load.
I bought the APC 600VA UPS as I have only 2.3k in my pocket.

- - - Updated - - -

r u thinking about running prime95 + gpu stress + all drives with capacitor aged smps from ups ? :D

436 is possibly the maximum power requirement for your system, normally it will consume 80-90w (idle) to 250-300 (gaming). so, any 600VA will do the job. just check the battery, lead acid battery lasts ~3yrs, and in their last days, they tend to fail very sooner than usual.

if ur ups is older than 2.5 years, and not giving proper backup, have ur battery changed with one new ups battery at local dealer's.

This is a new APC 600VA UPS bought just 2 days ago for 2.1k at CTC,Secunderabad.
While playing skyrim it is not giving any backup.

Top Bottom