Which TV to Buy

techno_adi

Broken In
Hi,
I have to purchase a TV,but am not sure which one to go for.
Can you guys please help me make a decision.

I use TVs mostly for watching Movies, occasionally connecting to PC & games. I have DTH connection in place.

I am looking for something >=26 inch

Should I go for a Monitor + TV Tuner (Monitor cum TV that are available in market) or should I go for LCD, or should I go for gold old CRT/ Slim CRT

Please give model suggestions as well.

My budget is ~20K

Thanks for help.

Adi

y2j826

Journeyman
In 20K you won't get a LCD TV of good quality, buy some samsung LCD monitor it will work for you

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
yeah, 20K is too low for a TV that too larger than 26". It's tough to get a full HD 26" TV anyways. So either increase your budget to some 30k and try for an LG TV (I found one at compareindia.com, you can't buy from there) or go for a 24" monitor from Dell.
Just in case you were curious, LCD TVs are much more expensive as compared to LCD monitors because TVs use IPS panels while Monitors have TN Panels. IPS panels are much superior with very accurate colour rendition. technically, IPS panels can produce 16.7 million (8 bit) colours whereas TN panels can produce only 262144 (6 bit) colours. Hence the difference in prices.
Just ignore this if you already knew it

OP
techno_adi

techno_adi

Broken In
Thanks guys, information was helpful.

Just wanted to know another thing here..

Does CRT/Slim CRT make any sense today?
I could get a 29" Slim CRT at ~15K vs. 26" LCD at ~22K (Assuming both from Samsung brand)

Which one would you personally prefer?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I'd say go for the LCD coz it would be HD ready and will allow you to watch HDTV when we get the signals in future. Also it would save space and electricity and look better in your room.

acewin

Point Blanc
you can buy Dell U2311 in for 15-16 K or something and a Set top box like this AverMedia AverTV Box Genie 1 M075 TV Tuner Box - this one costs 1.5 K now, seems its price has decreased. max res supported by it is 1600x1050 which is not complete HD
TV Tuner Box or set top box are different than TV Tuner card which you will need to plug to computers all time to be able to view, these STB work without plugging to computer. STB supporting full HD cost little more around 3-3.5K from what I see the price list.

OP
techno_adi

techno_adi

Broken In
Assuming I go for HD STB, my total budget would reach somewhere ~19K (16 + 3) for a 23" setup with monitor..

And at ~22K I can purchase a 26" LCD.

I feel latter is better option for an extra 4k. With 3" extra and ofcourse there would be better picture quality for sure.

Thanks guys I think I'll go in for LCD. Planning to pull it off in Ganapati since there are offers available then :-o

Any model suggestions from you guys..
I have one in mind Samsung LA26C450E1M
Price shown is 26K, however there is much room for discount I believe

Let me know what you guys think of this one or any other?

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Toshiba is offering an HD ready 32" LCD for 25k. The deal seems to be pretty good for your budget

OP
techno_adi

techno_adi

Broken In
Any model suggestion for Toshiba,

I would want to know any personal experience you might have had..
Is the picture quality good, does it support multiple movie formats like divx, avi etc ( I believe Samsung does..)

let me know, it would help me a lot and making a good buy.

thanks.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
well actually it was an offer available at many stores. I saw a few adds on the newspaper about the offer and even e-zone had it online. Now, they have removed both the toshiba TVs priced at 25 and 30 k but this one from panasonic is available -

ezone.futurebazaar.com : Panasonic 32C8 32 LCD TV : LCD

go for it only if you want a large screen and not anything else

Top Bottom