Which SSD to buy within 10-11k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sygeek

Technomancer
Yes, I know! I am not in a position to replace a Rs.23K motherboard in just over two years! That's why I am desperately searching for an ASUS U3S6 card. No luck so far. Wherever I find it mentioned online, it's out of stock! I don't want the Transcend card because it goes into the PCIe x1 slot which doesn't have sufficient bandwidth to realise the full potential of SATA 3 6gbps. I am frequently visiting Vedant and reminding Randhir about the ASUS card and even put in a bait: "If you can get me that card, I shall buy that SSD too, but only if ...!" Let's see if my hunt succeeds.
I think this is why you don't "futureproof"

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol, this is why there are expansion slots and this is why you want all of them in functional state no matter how many slots you filled up... ;)

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
@ico:this is incorrect. if by any chance sjoardar has a Marvell 9128 controller for SATA III, the ICH10R is better.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
There isn't anything as "futureproofing".... Vertex 3 is already about to hit the SATA 3 6 gbps wall as well.

Next-gen SSDs would be bottlenecked on my mothebroard too if this increment continues.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Vertex 3 is hitting a bottleneck in SATA 3 6 gbps, does it mean SATA 4 is around the corner?
Specifications haven't even been drafted as of yet...! :p We don't even need things like PCIe Gen 3. What we need is, SATA 4.

We don't even need higher speed SSDs though. We need them to be more reliable.

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!

I don't get it! If you mean "you are not future-proof", that would be correct, because while building my present rig, I missed USB 3 and SATA III by just a few months!:cry: On the other hand, if you really mean "there is no point in trying to be future-proof", that makes some sense too because PC technology always keeps on incrementally changing/improving, so that no amount of future-proofing with the then available components is going to be future-proof for too long!:rolleyes:

lol, this is why there are expansion slots and this is why you want all of them in functional state no matter how many slots you filled up... ;)

Yep! I have one PCIe x8/x16, one PCIe x4 and one PCIe x1 slot unoccupied, although the PCIe x1 slot is inaccessible due to the bulk of my Graphics card, and I wish to utilise the PCIe x8/x16 slot for an expansion card like the ASUS U3S6 card.

@ico:this is incorrect. if by any chance sjoardar has a Marvell 9128 controller for SATA III, the ICH10R is better.

Nope, I don't have that. Pardon my ignorance, but does that controller come built into the mobo, or is it something I can buy separately now?

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
SATA 3 SSD is not a big deal as 95% of the users won't feel any difference between a Vertex 2 and a Vertex 3.

Difference in performance is there but that only becomes visible in benchmarks. Not in day to day usage. The jump to an SSD from a HDD is a huge one. That's what usually matters.

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
^^ Of course, here is no question that I shall immediately see a huge performance jump on changing from HDD to SSD even with SATA II. Would you say that I should go ahead and buy Vertex 3 first and try to get the SATA III port later if I can?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yea, it's fine. :)

We also have OCZ RevoDrives. They directly go into the PCI-express slot. :p

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
^^ yea, it's fine. :)

We also have OCZ RevoDrives. They directly go into the PCI-express slot. :p

Thanks, pal. I think it's time I make up my mind!
And yes, I have heard about the RevoDrives, but aren't those less commonly available? Also, how do their performances compare with Vertex 3? Let me google a bit for some meaningful comparison, or at least some independent review.

Update: 120 GB OCZ RevoDrive 3 uses an 8-channel SandForce SF-1222TA3 SBH controller with SF-1500 firmware. Looks like it's older than OCZ Vertex 3 in terms of controller and firmware. Also reported to have some conflict with Windows 7 TRIM technology. See here:OCZ RevoDrive 120GB review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Disk drives (HDD & SSD).

Nevertheless, 240 GB OCZ RevoDrive 3 is a trifle faster than Corsair force GT 120 GB in large (1 GB) file copy in the real world scenario, may be due to the inherent advantage of larger capacity SSDs. See: OCZ RevoDrive 3 240GB PCIe SSD Review - Page 4 - Windows 7 & File Copy

Last edited:

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Still waiting for skud to let us know the link to the website from which he actually purchased OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB. Cannot find the link through search in techenclave. Please, skud!

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, it was a member deal actually, like Bazaar section of TDF. You may want to check this, pretty good deal IMO:-

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD- 240GB - Classifieds - TechEnclave

Deal closed, so can't provide you with the link. Can't see it anymore in TE. :(

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Oh, it was a member deal actually, like Bazaar section of TDF. You may want to check this, pretty good deal IMO:-

OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD- 240GB - Classifieds - TechEnclave

Deal closed, so can't provide you with the link. Can't see it anymore in TE. :(

Yeah, I think yours was one-of-a-kind sale type deal! You practically hit the Jackpot, so to speak!:doublethumb: I am really happy for you.:) I shall wait for another chance here (techenclave) or elsewhere. A 240 GB SSD, SATA III or not, is way out of my league at the moment.:wink: Thanks for the link nevertheless. This is a very good deal too.

Last edited:
OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks. Check these too, if you are interested:-

Interest Check: OCZ Vertex Plus Series SATA II 2.5" SSD

Hard Disks : Ocz SSD Drives Range Starts From @ 4900/-

For Sale : Other Sale - Multple Items from Newegg

sjoardar

Go Ahead, Make My Day!
Thanks. Check these too, if you are interested:-

Interest Check: OCZ Vertex Plus Series SATA II 2.5" SSD

Hard Disks : Ocz SSD Drives Range Starts From @ 4900/-

For Sale : Other Sale - Multple Items from Newegg

OCZ Vertex 3 SATA 120 GB @ 13299/-!!! More Geloom Baba!

Nevertheless, great links for Classifieds though. Bookmarked, must be useful to me in future. Thanks again!

Great pricing at amazon.com for OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5-Inch SSD MAX IOPS, but for US addresses only :cry::
Amazon.com: OCZ 120 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive MAX IOPS 6.0 Gb-s VTX3MI-25SAT3-120G: Electronics

Just salivating, that's all! Hope they extend their free shipping to India soon. Currently restricted to only books, movies and sundries.

Last edited:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Just salivating, that's all! Hope they extend their free shipping to India soon. Currently restricted to only books, movies and sundries.

Practically not possible unless they extend their business to India which is on the card and will happen in this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom