Which sata port for hdd

DOST_FRIEND59

Broken In
i am currently using Intel H67BL as MB and WDC WD10EARX-00PASB0 Model as HDD.

according to specs by company the hdd delivers a rate of high data transmission but my Hdd is running really slow.

so is it caused by any wrong sata port to which i connected my HDD or any other reason.

Help me,

Thanks in advance.

Naxal

Little Kid
Its SATA 6.0gbps HDD, the mentioned board comes with 2 SATA 6.0 ports and 4 SATA 3gbps port. Make sure you connect it to the SATA3 port only :p

Naxal

Little Kid
SATA3 -> SATA 6gbps

You have to connect it to that SATA3 or rather SATA6gbps port :)

The mentioned motherboard has 2 of them only

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
You may connect your HDD to any port you like, SATA 3gbps or 6gbps, no performance increase will happen.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
looks like you believe too much in advertisements.your hdd is slow & no matter what you do it will not become fast.5400rpm hdd is recommended as a storage drive not as primary boot drive.it is not for nothing that people buy expensive ssd or 7200rpm hdd to use as primary boot drive.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Nerevarine @ DOST_FRIEND59,both of you seems misinformed.like i said too much believing advertisements.WD has come up with this new marketing gimmick where they don't mention rpm of green hard dives but say "intellipower" which according to them is variable rpm in range of 5400-7200 but that's just misleading advertisement.see this to get real facts about so called intellipower of WD measured using accurate technique.
WD Green Power: A New Benchmark in HDD Acoustics & Power | silentpcreview.com
We were able to confirm that our 750 GB Green Power had a spindle speed of 5,400 RPM by analyzing its sound spectrum. Why sound? Sound is vibration; the pitch of the sound corresponds to the frequency of the vibration. Hard drives vibrate at the speed of their motor, so they produce a noise at the same frequency as their rotation speed. Our sample had a sharp spike at exactly 90 Hz (cycles per second). Multiplying that number by 60 (to get cycles per minute) yielded a measured rotation speed of 5,400 RPM.Storage Review tested the 1 TB version of the drive and determined that that model also spun at 5,400 RPM based on a calculation of the drive's latency compared to a previous Western Digital model.

only seagate green drive clearly mention 5900rpm in its specifications & till now only company so far to produce an odd 5900rpm model different from standard 5400,7200,10000 or 15000rpm models.

Broken In
WD10EARX is SATA III / 6 Gb/s HDD.

Untitled Page

Connect it to SATA III / 6 Gb/s port on your motherboard and you will see the difference.

@Nerevarine @ DOST_FRIEND59,both of you seems misinformed.like i said too much believing advertisements.WD has come up with this new marketing gimmick where they don't mention rpm of green hard dives but say "intellipower" which according to them is variable rpm in range of 5400-7200 but that's just misleading advertisement.see this to get real facts about so called intellipower of WD measured using accurate technique.
WD Green Power: A New Benchmark in HDD Acoustics & Power | silentpcreview.com

only seagate green drive clearly mention 5900rpm in its specifications & till now only company so far to produce an odd 5900rpm model different from standard 5400,7200,10000 or 15000rpm models.

This articles is of 2007-12-13 and things might have changed a lot in last 5 years. 5 years is more than a decade in IT. :)

OP
D

DOST_FRIEND59

Broken In
WD10EARX is SATA III / 6 Gb/s HDD.

Untitled Page

Connect it to SATA III / 6 Gb/s port on your motherboard and you will see the difference.

It was already connected to a 6gbps port but pc was pathetic.

now i have connected it to a 3gbps port and installed windows 8 64-bit, now the pc is running ok.
but still the transfer rate is very slow.

i tried to ccopy a 500mb video from HDD to usb3.0 HP pendrive but still i got of speed just 5-8 mbps.

now that's not what anyone want.

Broken In
It was already connected to a 6gbps port but pc was pathetic.

now i have connected it to a 3gbps port and installed windows 8 64-bit, now the pc is running ok.
but still the transfer rate is very slow.

i tried to ccopy a 500mb video from HDD to usb3.0 HP pendrive but still i got of speed just 5-8 mbps.

now that's not what anyone want.

Make sure your HDD is not re-certified.

I have seen this behavior from re-certified HDDs.

Also, please confirm if you are using 6 Gbps SATA cables (the black ones normally) that came with your motherboard or not.

OP
D

DOST_FRIEND59

Broken In
Make sure your HDD is not re-certified.

I have seen this behavior from re-certified HDDs.

Also, please confirm if you are using 6 Gbps SATA cables (the black ones normally) that came with your motherboard or not.

what do you mean my re-certified HDDs?
and i am using sata cables that came with the motherboard but they are red in color not black.

Pen drive was causing bottleneck of the transfer speed, not your HDD.

so how to cure that?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@image,rpm is directly related to real world hdd performance tests.until it is established in those tests(which so far they haven't) that WD green performance is ahead of seagate 5900rpm drives keep assuming their rpm to be 5400.

P.S.yes things have changed in last 5 years as WD realized the power of advertising so they have launched a new more costly "RED" series which performs faster than their 5400rpm green drives labelled as best suited for home NAS solutions since users were complaining about WD Green poor performance(5400rpm) & reliability. :)

@DOST_FRIEND59,there is no cure.such speeds are expected from commonly available usb 3.0 pen drives.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
so how to cure that?

There is no way.. Either your USB3 pen drive is not of good quality or the USB3 port in which you are plugging the pen drive, have some problem.
But I think its pen drive issue. Cause, except for one or two cases I never heard of any issues with USB3 present in Intel boards.

OP
D

DOST_FRIEND59

Broken In
There is no way.. Either your USB3 pen drive is not of good quality or the USB3 port in which you are plugging the pen drive, have some problem.
But I think its pen drive issue. Cause, except for one or two cases I never heard of any issues with USB3 present in Intel boards.

I am using pendrive of hp purchased from a certified dealer and i am plugging it to the usb 3.0 port as mentioned by intel.

can all of this be caused due to faulty cable.

well i have been facing the issue of slow data transfer since i had purchased this computer but i kept on ignoring it,

but now the situation has pathetic.

Top Bottom