Which Printer to Buy

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi Guys,

Dad is asking me to buy a printer....

So,now I need a printer which can scan,print & xerox.I dnt want fax feature..

so which brand & model is best.
I have two brands in mind HP & Cannon.

It should be color printer.

Budget:5~6k

abirthedevil

In the zone
i have been using HP print scan copy F4288 for 2 years now, no problems what so ever other than the cartridge being a bitt expensive if memory serves me right it cost me aound 4k

Sid_hooda

I'm taller than you
Just get a decent canon ink jet printer and refill cartridges (not at shady shops though) instead of buying new ones. Get an HP one only if you want a laser printer.

HP software is a pain in the ass and its printers are more expensive while its cartridges and tones are significantly cheaper.
HP might be a touch ahead in the no. of service centers too though they take ages to do the simplest if things.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Actually I am using HP F4488 and have no complaints except the fact that buying a single cartridge worth Rs.950 have burnt my pocket thrice. I purchase two more of them and it equals the cost of printer!!!

I do not know for sure if I should complain at all because the kind of picture quality (photo prints) I get is same as we get in any studio.

My friend has Canon printer and says that he gets his cartridge refilled for as low as 250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
That's where it pains most!

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

My friend has Canon printer and says that he gets his cartridge refilled for as low as 250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
That's where it pains most!

u mean Canon Cartridges costs less than HP Cartridges :-|
Btw u purchase new cartridges or refill the ol one???

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I purchased new one. Tried to get it refilled at couple of shops. Even before I could ask for anything else, those people said we don't take guarantee if it damages your printer! Obviously, I backed out and purchased a new cartridge. Moreover in another thread someone quoted that HP cartridges are programmed in such a way that if they get emptied, a flag/switch is set so that you can't use it again even after refilling!

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^^Hmm..& I've also read somewhere dat Installing HP printer drivers is pain in a$$.....
u can start the setup & go for a walk with ur doggy...

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
hehehe yes, that's very true :)
I have no idea what does it keep doing. That's why I suggested Canon. Even the retailer (Croma actually) told me that all printers have Canon hardware (a bit exaggerated I guess) but when it comes down to quality HP and Canon are same.

And it is good that you are going for MP497. Its a beauty :)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
after you posted it here I checked out its details in Canon India site immediately. Really worthy of its price

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

^^ My frnd says both HP & Canon performance & output is same only HP service centers are more than Canon....

He himself owns HP 1050 printer & said the driver installed in less than 10mins

what do u say gagan

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
yes, your friend is right. BTW I do not agree with the driver installation. Mine took around 20-30 minutes. Print quality is great, I have taken many impressive photo printouts. Scanning is also good.

I do not have any issues with my printer except the cost of cartridge. As said earlier too, I purchase 4-5 such cartridges and they'll cover the cost of printer. Sounds like a joke.

The point about service centers can't be ignored. Like in B'lore there are 20-22 HP SC, while for Canon there are only 5 :D

masterkd

Padawan
hey i have f4488 too and iirc i mainly advised you that model..my driver loads within 10 mins too but its true that driver installation is PITA as you need to revise what should be installed as it installs lots of junk useless things as well and cartridge prices are sky high!!

acewin

Point Blanc
@gagan, your friend must be getting the cartridges refilled rather than buying new, no new cartridge can cost 250 bucks. HP cartridges cost per print would be lesser than canon.

canon printers IMO would be more costly than similar featured and output giving HP printer
1050 is a laser printer. HP PCL 6 is the software they universally use for managing different printers, it may take little more time but there is no issue software-wise for HP.
the most basic laser printer from canon is similar to 1020 or 1050, but as of what I have heard from a retailer is that, the cartridge used both in canon and HP are same, except canon labelled would be little cheaper than HP

mohityadavx

Youngling
@ Zangetsu if u r buying cartridge based printer (inkjet) then go for hp due to easy availability of cartridge.

If u will buy toner based printer then go for any however i would recommend u for BROTHER as one brother printer is in my Dad's office and i have used several times and also toner based printer are very cost effective irrespective of the brand.

K

kris80

for years I've been using the hp photo printer... and for now it's still working... and it's not hard to find a ink cartridges to refill.... I find this site HP 45 and buying one one HP 92298A.

rock_dj

Broken In
Hi guys...i am also looking for a HP printer. Streamlined to Hp 1050. Any suggestion to go for this or should i choose any other HP printer around that budget?

Top Bottom