which one is better usb or pcie for wifi in desktop..?

swaggvc

Broken In
Hi guys, i am looking to buy a pcie or usb wifi adapter for my pc, but i am confused which one is better. Right now i am using a netgear usb adapter borrowed from a friend and its range is very poor and also signal losts every few hours and i have to disconnect and reconnect it again to get the wifi.
please suggest me a good wifi adapter within 1000rs that will have a good signal strength and should not heat much because i do a lot of downloading. Thanks

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guys, i am looking to buy a pcie or usb wifi adapter for my pc, but i am confused which one is better. Right now i am using a netgear usb adapter borrowed from a friend and its range is very poor and also signal losts every few hours and i have to disconnect and reconnect it again to get the wifi.
please suggest me a good wifi adapter within 1000rs that will have a good signal strength and should not heat much because i do a lot of downloading. Thanks

In my experience, the wifi connection stability depends upon proximity only. My el cheapo edup mini wireless adapter lasted me around 2 years as my repeater is close to my PC. Again im using an adapter i purchased from ebay fr 280 odd which doesnt drop due to proximity. However, if i turn off the repeater and try to directly connect to router, it may download for a while, then keep dropping connection like u said.

OP
S

swaggvc

Broken In
In my experience, the wifi connection stability depends upon proximity only. My el cheapo edup mini wireless adapter lasted me around 2 years as my repeater is close to my PC. Again im using an adapter i purchased from ebay fr 280 odd which doesnt drop due to proximity. However, if i turn off the repeater and try to directly connect to router, it may download for a while, then keep dropping connection like u said.

So i should go for pcie one, for strong connection...?

vijay4vista

Right off the assembly line
Signal connection not only depends on the wireless adapter, check if your other devices are getting a good signal from the router. Its not true that PCI cards will have more range since they have an external antenna.

My suggestion is to go for the USB adapters instead of PCI, if you need a very good range check for "N" standard cards which will provide good range and speed. I suggested USB adapters for few of my friends and they are working as expected.

BTW i was working for Netgear few years back :)

OP
S

swaggvc

Broken In
Signal connection not only depends on the wireless adapter, check if your other devices are getting a good signal from the router. Its not true that PCI cards will have more range since they have an external antenna.

My suggestion is to go for the USB adapters instead of PCI, if you need a very good range check for "N" standard cards which will provide good range and speed. I suggested USB adapters for few of my friends and they are working as expected.

BTW i was working for Netgear few years back :)

Thanks for the reply mate. I guess i'll look for a usb adapter within my budget.

Top Bottom