which mobo for which proccy.

digitfan

Right Off the Assembly Line
Guys please note the points below

1.I do not intend to overclock much.
2.Budget not above 22k (mobo+ram+cpu)
2.I have decided i5 2400 or 3450 + ASUS P8H61-M LX Motherboard +G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB

I want to know these

1.Are sandy bridge and ivy bridge both same in performance.
2.can i max overclock it to 4ghz.(Though i dont intend to)
3.Is this config ok or else suggest something.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. yes, Ivy Bridge is nothing revolutionary in terms of performance. Both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge have same performance. 2-3% give or take.

2. You can only overclock if you buy a K suffix processor and pair it only with a Z68/Z77 motherboard. Example, i5-2500K, i5-3570K etc. with a Z68/Z77 chipset motherboard.

In any other case, you can't overclock.

3. Config is okay. But I don't see any reason for you to upgrade if you have a first generation i7-950 or something. I don't know if you have, but just in case. :)

OP
D

digitfan

Thanks for the reply my existing system is of C2Q.
Ok then you mean in i series we cannot overclock at all if we dont choose a k series proccy and a z68/z77 mobo?

Another thing then will that mobo support i5 3570k? Just read in a review that this one runs hot too is it true?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply my existing system is of C2Q.
Ok then you mean in i series we cannot overclock at all if we dont choose a k series proccy and a z68/z77 mobo?

Another thing then will that mobo support i5 3570k? Just read in a review that this one runs hot too is it true?

Try reading this thread fully: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/150570-intel-lga-1155-motherboard-thread.html Your question is answered right at the end, but read the thread completely. :)

yes, Ivy Bridge runs hotter than Sandy Bridge. Sandy Bridge is more suited if you want to overclock.

OP
D

digitfan

^^read and replied here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/cpu-motherboards/150570-intel-lga-1155-motherboard-thread-6.html

Btw my budget is 6k max for mobo and 12k max for proccy another 2k for ram.(another 2k reserved.Wont spend it if its not necessary)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ at 12k you can get a i5 3550 and at 6k get Asus P8B75-M LE - get 2x 4GB Corsair Value Select 1333 Mhz DDr3 @ 2.2k.

OP
D

digitfan

^^wont that run hot too.Please note that i will be using stock coolers.What will be its max temp?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the cpu indeed run hot compared but then again investing for an aftermarket cooler - even one like Cm Hyper 212 Ev / Hyper TX3 is always a good idea be it a quad core SB/IB cpu and with same clock speed IB cpus perform 5-10% better than SB cpus and under volting them will keep the tepms in check ;-)

*media.bestofmicro.com/U/P/338065/original/load%20temp.png

AnandTech - Undervolting and Overclocking on Ivy Bridge

AcceleratorX

Youngling
ico said:
2. You can only overclock if you buy a K suffix processor and pair it only with a Z68/Z77 motherboard. Example, i5-2500K, i5-3570K etc. with a Z68/Z77 chipset motherboard.

Well, you can use an ASRock motherboard and it's "No-K OC" function to get a limited OC out of the non-K processor.....

Anyway, for OP's dilemma; I suggest getting a Biostar TZ77B motherboard and you can select an appropriate RAM set and CPU as the motherboard supports K-series processors.

Top Bottom