Which linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajesh345

Youngling
hello all , can any 1 suggest which linux is best 4 me ?

1)Currenly using Win XP
2)i am not good with command line
3)Ease of use (like win Xp -even a starter in comp will know how 2 use win Xp,2k,vista)
4) Normal pc user:( Surf , office files, little movie )
5)

thank u

NucleusKore

TheSaint
This question has been asked a dozen times. This is why we have a Sticky thread called FAQ in the open source section, and the very first post in that thread answers your question

Prabhagharan

Right off the assembly line
I suggest UBUNTU for you .

When i started to use linux me too were in same situation.
But now i am not all using windows in my home PC :p

Also ubuntu live CD will be shipped to your house freely when you register it @ *shipit.ubuntu.com

So to try linux try ubuntu :D

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Screw Ubuntu , Mandriva and Mint...

Give Sabayon 4.1 a try. It beats the pant of all in terms of drivers compatibilty... None of the distro play HD Movies as smooth as Sabayon did .....

You get everything out of the box...

Get the Sabayon 4.1 Gnome !

Rahim

Married!
@Dark_Star: I tried Sabayon4 reading your article in LFY but it fails to start X-Server. I even tried the text install but still it failed. Mine is an onborad Intel chipset.

The question is not "which is the best Linux distro"
its which Linux distro should i start with

A newbie to linux is more concerned with learning about his new Linux distro than its media playing capabilities

In this field Ubuntu rules ......its the simplest distro to install/use and maintain for a new user (especially one who is a windows user)

No doubt helped by the fact that its got "The most active forum" for itself among Linux distros

@Rajesh
Good time to try Ubuntu ..... a new version Ubuntu 9.10 a.k.a Jaunty Jackalope was just released

Last edited:

drsubhadip

In the zone
I think u should use linúx MINT 6
install it inside yr WindowsXP
then learn a little bit of everything
after that u can try many such as
ubuntu
kubuntu
mandriva
open suse
fedora
sabayon
pc linux
and for stable desktop rock solid debiän 5

B

bashphoenux

sabayon 4.1 is really nice .. i am using it !! but it takes a lot of googling to get things sorted and installed

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well generally you want to pick out distros like Ubuntu , Mandriva, OpenSuse , Mint , Sabayon because of their ease to use. However sometimes these distros might backfire because of certain hardware issues. MY opinion is first of all just post your system configuration and see if there are odd components and then just choose a distro that someone has setup before with a similiar configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom