Which linux to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinith98

Broken In
Hello people,

This is my first post on digit forum. I am a windows XP user and I want to migrate to linux. As I am completely new to linux I have decided to by a book to help me out. I found several books on Linux and so I am a bit confused on which to go in for.

Firstly I want to know to the difference between different Linux like Fedora Core, Suse, Red hat etc.. Which of this is better and also tell me which is the new version.

Also please recommend me a good book. If possible please leave on link to linux tutorial page.

Please reply,

Vinith

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
You can try any of these.

Ubunu
linspire
suse
mandriva

I love suse most but you will find ubuntu most usefull as you are first time user.

ubuntu, mandriva, linspire: all these are for home-only use and are exteremly simple. They can't do well for servers.

Just browse respective sites for version number.

books: hmm. try Running Linux, 5th Edition, Oreilly.

Last edited:

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
go 4 ubuntu....
u can even try slax or dynebolic which is given with the dec2006 cds of digit....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Just start with Knoppix live cd and learn a few things. Check out the stickies in this section.

I think u should go for ubuntu.It resembles windows a lot .Morever u can get its 6.06version at ur home for free.I hav already got.
If u want the link for free ubuntu at ur home reply me.

Last edited by a moderator:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
And here is Ubuntu Guide Book
The book is actually focused on Installing and Configaring Ubuntu for Newbies.
It is .chm format...you can easilly view it Window OS.
Or If you already running Ubuntu then you need gnome chm viewer.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnochm

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Since you're starting out I'd suggest Ubuntu 6.10 which you could get from a linux friend, tech magazine and burn it to a CD. Or you could do an order in Shipit which will ship home Ubuntu for free. Ubuntu is light and clean, has most apps you need and use can use it's repositories to get more. There are also a lot of third party debian packages which work well on Ubuntu. One point of caution, if you are a power user you'll be most happy with Ubuntu if you have a broadband connection, downloading updates and packages in Ubuntu do take some time.

If you want administrative and server apps out of the box as well as all the special effects, go for OpenSuse 10.2.

planetcall

Indian by heart
Dont go for suse or any such variant which has commercial version. You will never get all the features in the free versions. Ubuntu is the best option and it is the most widely searched linux flavour as per distrowatch.com . It is better to download the latest ubuntu than ordering the free CD as for free they are giving the previous LTS release CDs only.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
planetcall said:
Dont go for suse or any such variant which has commercial version. You will never get all the features in the free versions. Ubuntu is the best option and it is the most widely searched linux flavour as per distrowatch.com . It is better to download the latest ubuntu than ordering the free CD as for free they are giving the previous LTS release CDs only.
+1

NucleusKore

TheSaint
First of all I would like to point out that a lot of users making a switch from windows to Linux end up comparing the two and cursing. Things are done DIFFERENTLY in linux, that doesn't make it any more difficult than windows. You have to be ready to learn new things.
If you go for a distro like Ubuntu you will have to use command line a little more often, than if you were to go for a distro like Open SuSE which is completely wizard driven.
I think in terms of third party packages (software), fedora has the widest collection, but then again you will have to fiddle around with commandline. If you are just an end user like me who wants to enjoy your OS and not become a computer engineer go for Open SuSE

Aberforth

The Internationalist
planetcall said:
Dont go for suse or any such variant which has commercial version. You will never get all the features in the free versions.

I wouldn't agree with that. OpenSuse is not a low-end free version of SLED, it simply misses the technical support you'd have got with SLED and a few proprietary apps you wouldn't get even in Ubuntu. So you are not losing anything either way, you gain some thing in Suse as has features which Ubuntu misses. And being opensource there will always be a free version of Suse, if Novell considers to discontinue it someone else could take up the OpenSuse project and get on. Novell took over Suse only recently it existed much long before that.

@NucleusKore - Agreed

First Linux is not Windows and neither it is geeky. I am not a geek but after mastering Linux I found it a lot better than Window albeit different. The learning curve isn't that steep and after you become Linux user you'll find its worth it. And it's not Linux's fault Windows games don't work in Linux (which is changing now) and there are loads of free 3D games in Lunix which would require you to pay an arm and a leg in Windows.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
NucleusKore said:
I think in terms of third party packages (software), fedora has the widest collection
Debian has the most followed by Ubuntu AFAIK, even Suse has more apps than FC, atleast last time I checked.

Last edited:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
FC's attitude towards proprietary softwares and it's step motherly treatment by RH compared to RHEL led me to choose Suse instead. FC isn't the distro with most packages and neither its the best for a newbie as it is made to be bleeding edge instead of stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom