Which LINUX should I use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Jack

Right off the assembly line
The Choice is very simple.

Hey, the choice is very simple if you are a beginner at working with Linux. Download the latest Linspire version.
If you want the best softwares that you can ever get on Linux there is nothing better in the whole wide world(web) than the mother of all linux versions- SUSE Linux Verson 10.

Both of these and others are available for free at *linuxiso.org/ :lol: :D :wink:
Enjoy the best thing in computing Open-Source.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Satissh S

Well today my engg. coll exams got over Satissh, so i will install FC4 today and Share my experience with it.. :):)

Cheers n e-peace.....

P

priyadarshi

Need Ubuntu In Delhi

tech_your_future said:
Before ordering the cd's do check with your city's LUG's if they do have a set of distribution you want. For mumbai, the ILUG has put up a list of available cd's on its site, you can contact them and get. I have myself got 3 set of ubuntu cd's for x86, if anyone in mumbai wants it I can give it to them.

I also want to shift to Linux (Red Hat's Enterprise Edition if possible). I'm using P3 800Mhz and 512MB DDR on my Krypton's 370 Socket M6VLQ Grand motherboard having Windows 2003 Server Installed. Please guide me which version of Linux will be compatible with my PC and how much does the CD/DVD will cost. I searched for Ubuntu. Though it is free i guess they must have been charging for transportation and the media (CD/DVD) cost to get it delivered at doorstep. Is it really 100% free with no hidden charges? I created new account twice but not received the registration mail required to order. Please tell me how to find the LUG in Delhi. I tried finding on Ubuntu but in vain.

naveenchandran

In the zone
Re: Need Ubuntu In Delhi

priyadarshi said:
I also want to shift to Linux (Red Hat's Enterprise Edition if possible). I'm using P3 800Mhz and 512MB DDR on my Krypton's 370 Socket M6VLQ Grand motherboard having Windows 2003 Server Installed. Please guide me which version of Linux will be compatible with my PC

any version of linux would be compatible....
I think you are asking abt distro.. :?

priyadarshi said:
and how much does the CD/DVD will cost. I searched for Ubuntu. Though it is free i guess they must have been charging for transportation and the media (CD/DVD) cost to get it delivered at doorstep. Is it really 100% free with no hidden charges?

yes 100% Free NO Hidden Costs, No Transpoortation costs...

priyadarshi said:
I created new account twice but not received the registration mail required to order.
:?

priyadarshi said:
Please tell me how to find the LUG in Delhi. I tried finding on Ubuntu but in vain.

*www.linux-delhi.org/

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Satissh S wrote:
@ashu:
1. I hope you have backed up your data from G:\ to D:\ or C:\. So do it b4 anything. Ah.. you shud have done that already. Isn't?
2. Goto Disk Management, from Computer Management
and delete the G:\ partition. Then create your New Fat32 Partition. Make sure you leave something for linux.
3. If you wan't copy your backed up data back to G:\
---------------Linux Begins--------------
Reboot the system with cd1 in the drive. Copy the following in a piece of paper.
At the boot prompt, type,
linux selinux=0 reiserfs resolution=1024x768
press Enter.
You should boot into Anaconda graphical installer front end. Answer to most of the questions by reading the instructions from the left.
Select [Install Type] as custom. DONOT select as Server if you wan't your windows to be untouched. Select Grub as Default boot loader. And give your networking stuff in the next screen if dhcp it shud atomatically be up.
Select manual partitioning, and click next,
When you come to the partition selection screen,
TIP: Read the help in the left side and never touch anything in your windows partitions.
The tick mark indicates that the slice is gonna b formatted. Create a new extended partition in the remaining 20 GB of freespace left.
I'am not encouraging you to create a /boot despite the warning as most new comps don't need this.
create a / partition of say 7gb of reiserfs
create a /usr partition of 12 GB of Ext3
create 1 gb of [SWAP] partition.
Cross check the below list and assign mount points as given. Now you shud have, Quote:

/dev/hda1 Windows C: /mnt/win_c
/dev/hda2 Windows D: /mnt/win_d
/dev/hda3 Windows G: /mnt/win_g
/dev/hda4 Linux Extended
|__ /dev/hda5 Linux ReiserFS /
|__ /dev/hda6 Linux Ext3 /usr
|__ /dev/hda7 [SWAP] NOT AVAILABLE

Your cdrom drive (ie F: in Windows) would be /dev/hdc in linux. In partitioning screen select [Everything] to install a lot of softies and give you a lot to play with. Wait for install to complete and reboot.
After rebooting press any key to get boot selection menu and move your arrow keys to get to a highlited entry and boot it. FYI "Other" is Windows
Good Luck.
Hey guys,
I hv followed the procedure as said above but wen it comes to creating the SWAP partition, please tell me how to create it !! Wen i type the word SWAP it does not recognises and says sumthing like. the word shud start with / and not end with a /.

1.) Please explain how to create a SWAP partition.Is the name of the partition "SWAP" only or sum other name like we write for /usr partition:? As the installer is refusing to accept the name "SWAP" to create a SWAP partition.. (I knw im doin sumthing wrong..so help..)

2.) Also after creating a / Partition, a /usr partition and a SWAP Partition, i will be installing LINUX in the REMAINING FREE SPACE and not inside these 3 partitions (/, /usr and SWAP) .. Right guys?? :?

Satissh, Naveen, GNUrag and other experts too...Please help guys... :?

Cheers n e-peace....

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Just select the partition type as swap. Thats all.

OK, here' s some screenies for you.

*img58.imageshack.us/img58/9720/fc415hw.th.jpg

*img216.imageshack.us/img216/605/fc426mc.th.jpg

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
So that means the File System type shud be selected as swap Right? coz this is only wat i can make out from the screenshots... Bt will i hv to specify any name for tat SWAP partition like i specified a /usr and its file system type as ext3.. ??? :?

Also, after creating a / Partition, a /usr partition and a SWAP Partition, i will be installing LINUX in the REMAINING FREE SPACE and not inside these 3 partitions (/, /usr and SWAP) .. Right? :?

Awating answers....guys..

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
1. you don't have to name swap partition. In fact, you can't.
2. / and /usr are partiotions for installing linux. it wont install anything on "Free space" you should make partitons to use.

My suggestion, if you have 20 GB in free
/ - 10 GB
/home - 10 GB
swap - double your RAM size.

/usr is not necessary.

P

priyadarshi

thank you naveenchandran. though google found *www.linux-delhi.org/ but the site is not opening.which one will be better for my pc?

rig
P3 800Mhz, 512MB DDR, on Krypton's 370 Socket M6VLQ Grand mobo
Thanks

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
desertwind wrote:
1. you don't have to name swap partition. In fact, you can't.
2. / and /usr are partiotions for installing linux. it wont install anything on "Free space" you should make partitons to use.

My suggestion, if you have 20 GB in free
/ - 10 GB
/home - 10 GB
swap - double your RAM size.

/usr is not necessary.
So please tell me in wich partition shud i Install Linux..?? Shud it be / Partition or /usr partition and/or /home Partition ?? and wat will the Linux do abt the remaining (unformatted) FREE SPACE left in the HDD ?? :? :?

Awating reply... :?

Cheers n e-peace.....

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Its not you, but the system which installs linux. if you create /, /usr and /home, the system files and and all will be installed to /, the program files will be installed to /usr, and /home is for your personal files. if you dont create /usr, the program files too will be installed to /, under the directory /usr. If you dont create /home, you'll be saving your personal files too in / partition, under the directory /home. But mind you, only / is compulsory. you can make numerous partitions, but its all optional.

And linux do nothing about free space. Why should you leave some free space ? why can't you use up all the free space ?

kato

Karthiksn
@priyadarshi
I guess you may install ubuntu as a start its good and it will run on your sys i guess. And about the site its woking for me though

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ desertwind
Thanx for ur reply bro, it helped me in understanding the file system of Linux, Im sorry if i hv acted stupid thouh, as i was a complete novice to Linux and its installation,. :)

I will not leave any space free space and will use up all the space, sinc u hv already told me tat Linux will get installed in the / partition so i need not worry abt any thing now.. :)
I will Install FC4 and tell u my experience with it. .:)

Cheers n e-peace...

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Happy that it helped out.

The problem with gnu/linux n00bies is that they think the M$ way. They want everything like windows. gnu/linux and windows are entirely differrent OSs, and have entirely different filesystem.

You'll be learning a lot after installing and hanging out for a while. Post your comments after installing.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Guys.. and @ desertwind

I have successfully installed FC4 and i must say tat after installing this OS, it was a piece of cake (after getting step by step help from u guys here.. ) :)

I hv installed everything (from the 4 FC4 Cds) and hv created 4 partitions:
/ Partition.---------------6997 MB
/usr Partition------------12002 MB
/home Partition---------1200 MB
Swap Partition----------1192 MB

Now,
1.) Can i transfer all my documents (wich are in MS WORD format) from CD to Linux?? Including Songs too..
2.) Also, Wich are the better performing audio players for linux. ?? (like we hv Winamp for windows).
3.) Any antivirus reqd. for Linux.??.Wich one !!
4.) What is RED HAT ?
5.) Will FC4 automatically detect my Router (wich i was using for Triband broadband)? ..or.. How to configure the internet in Linux ?..

:idea: I have noticed that the Linux OS is much more faster in operation as compared to Windows OSes. I will keep posting my experience and experiments with Linux. As of now im using this Digit forum from my WIN XP OS coz till now i dnt knw how to configure browsing the net thru Linux but will surely do sum searching. :)

Cheers n e-peace.....

kato

Karthiksn
I guess configuration of internet will be piece of cake as i was able to conect to internet through Ubuntu Live. Just follow the steps here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35004&start=0 by DW
Also Linux doesnt have to detect your ruoter but it has to detect ur ethernet

P

priyadarshi

kato said:
@priyadarshi
I guess you may install ubuntu as a start its good and it will run on your sys i guess. And about the site its woking for me though

thanks kato, can't i install any server edition? i guess my pc can support to any 64 bit linux or open suse. i know though its not free but what u think about red hat professional workstation (enterprise) ? 8)

kato

Karthiksn
I think enterprise version is paid one so i wont reccomend it. And yeah you may try out the 64bit verisons also as there are 64bit versions for all linux distros

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
ashu888ashu888 said:
Guys.. and @ desertwind

I have successfully installed FC4 and i must say tat after installing this OS, it was a piece of cake (after getting step by step help from u guys here.. ) :)

Great! Congrats

ashu888ashu888 said:
1.) Can i transfer all my documents (wich are in MS WORD format) from CD to Linux?? Including Songs too..
Yes you can. You can use OpenOffice.org for managing your documents

ashu888ashu888 said:
2.) Also, Wich are the better performing audio players for linux. ?? (like we hv Winamp for windows).
For video i'd suggest mplayer and VLC. mplayer with plugins can virtually play anything under the sun. VLC is a good standalone player, you won't need any codecs.

For audio you can try XMMS and Rhythmbox[Music Player under Applications>Sound and Video]. XMMS is a winamp clone. But i recommend you use Rhythmbox. It's simply great, and is a good music management tool also.

ashu888ashu888 said:
3.) Any antivirus reqd. for Linux.??.Wich one !!
You wont need one. The default firewall settings and selinux will serve for you. If really want one, try CLAMAV

ashu888ashu888 said:
4.) What is RED HAT ?
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat

ashu888ashu888 said:
5.) Will FC4 automatically detect my Router (wich i was using for Triband broadband)? ..or.. How to configure the internet in Linux ?..
Most probably YES. If you are using a USB modem, the you'll need drivers. You can use "Internet Configuration Wizard" under Application>System Tools for configuring your internet.

Now that you've successfully installed FC4, i really suggest you to visit Stanton Finleys notes for fine tuning your machine.

*stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom