Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Ok, you have to be a little quick on this. I was thinking of replacing Winrar with 7zip as the essential unpackaging and packaging utility, but met with some opposition... wanted to settle the question, so just want to know which is the better of the two according to you.

Krow

Crowman
7zip is my favourite. It does the job better than WinRAR for me. For example, this PDF file of 400MB which was my magazine, had to be uploaded to share with DF members. So I zipped it first using winzip (.zip). Result = 121MB.

Next I RARed it with WinRAR. Result = 102MB. Then 7zip, in .7z format... Result 77MB.

Plus 7zip is totally free, so I am all for it. Although WinZIP has this zipx format which is great for photo compression. Blew away both rar and 7z for jpegs.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Winrar because it's more known and better than winzip.

Not many people know about 7zip yet.

Wow! Often the lesser known stuff proves to be better than what the majority uses. Besides, WinRAR is not better than WinZip in photo compression.

I would rather have the better stuff than the popular ones... Same as I hate most pop movies.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Besides, WinRAR is a non-free utility. 7zip is completely free.

I would request the x64 build of 7zip for win and lin.

Last edited:
OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Thank you everyone, including techteen. We are replacing 7zip as the essential archiving software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom