Which is the BEST LINUX DISTRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is the best LINUX DISTRO!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfan

Technomancer
vysakh said:
how does linux look like guys??
is it better than windows??
A suggesstion. Get hold of a Gnoppix CD and see how it looks. :D After that take a Knoppix CD and see how that looks too. You don't have to install anything, just boot from the CD and see. If you don't like it restart your machine and remove the CD. If you want these CDs, let me know :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
what not seen what linux looks like? Do you know what a computer looks like, realy what does it look like in real not pictures. Have you ever touched a keyboard.
Amazing, to see such a DUD living in MARS.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
pradeep_chauhan said:
Amazing, to see such a DUD living in MARS.

pardon me if i'm wrong but here r some suggestions:

Tolerate lesser gifted people.
Give space to ur mirror image.
Avoid traffic congestion.
Eat sweets daily.
Broaden ur frame of reference.
Don't look through a binocular.
and last but not the least
No hard feelings.

khin007

Journeyman
ditto here

tuxfan said:
vysakh said:
how does linux look like guys??
is it better than windows??
A suggesstion. Get hold of a Gnoppix CD and see how it looks. :D After that take a Knoppix CD and see how that looks too. You don't have to install anything, just boot from the CD and see. If you don't like it restart your machine and remove the CD. If you want these CDs, let me know :)

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
For me, K+Ubuntu is simply the greatest!!!

Of course I have also worked upon FC1 and FC3, but they seem to take more time to load than even My earlier WinXP or present Win 2k3... :shocked:

KUbuntu is the greatest!!!

Cheers!!!

] K8)8)L [

demoninside

In the zone
hey i haven't use ubuntu... so don't know about it but

for new one priority should be
1. Knowpix
2. Mandrake/SUSE
3. FC3/Debian

ujjwal

Padawan
If asked my personal opinion, I would say that Slackware linux is far better than most other distro's existing, and here's why -

1. Bloat free - unlike most distro's, slackware is completely bloat free, nothing unneccessary is present, and no complicated path is taken to perform simple tasks
2. Control - The level of control slackware gives you over the system is possibly second only to Linux from scratch, its entire functioning is transparent, and system configuration is well laid out in the form of various files, which can be manually edited or edited through the few menu based tools provided.
3. You learn a lot about linux and unix while working on slackware, because every single thing is clearly marked out, so you get to know what actually you are doing.
4. Speed and stability - Slackware is great in both these fields, because of its simplistic and efficient functioning, inexplicable crashes are a rarity.
5. Extendibility - Some features not natively provided by slackware (like a package management with dependencies) are provided by tools like slapt-get, swaret etc.

Those the reasons I like slackware. Another very good distro is Archlinux, it resembles slackware in many features but has some other great things, like an excellent package management. Its a great choice if you have an unlimited internet connection, and like to try out new software and stay up to date.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Slakware, I got to install it to make any comments... Debian has this vast numbers of official mirror network... and uncountable number of independent/private mirrors... And since Debian is a community process, its there to stay... and it will always remain Free of Cost... not like Redhat and its Fedora/RHEL differentiation..

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Well I hate to "blow my own trumpet" But since it is the call of the day let me join in. Guys let me take on slakware HEAD On. So its Gentoo Vs Slakware
1. Bloat free - unlike most distro's, slackware is completely bloat free, nothing unneccessary is present, and no complicated path is taken to perform simple tasks

Gentoo is the ultimate in bloatfreeness as the source code is got on to your machine and compiles using your flags.

Gentoo 1 Slakware 0

2. Control - The level of control slackware gives you over the system is possibly second only to Linux from scratch, its entire functioning is transparent, and system configuration is well laid out in the form of various files, which can be manually edited or edited through the few menu based tools provided.

Gentoo is build up from the point wher only a network connection exists Stage 1 in gentoo terms. It takes shape as per your directions each and every package is handpicked.

Gentoo 2 Slakware 1

3. You learn a lot about linux and unix while working on slackware, because every single thing is clearly marked out, so you get to know what actually you are doing.

Gentoo uses source and the entire build happens in front of you. You get to set the GCC options and tune the system to the fullest.

gentoo 3 Slackware 1

4. Speed and stability - Slackware is great in both these fields, because of its simplistic and efficient functioning, inexplicable crashes are a rarity.

Gentoo is the fastest distro no one comes near to it. Crash What is a crash Linux does not crash

Gentoo 4 Slackware 1.5

5. Extendibility - Some features not natively provided by slackware (like a package management with dependencies) are provided by tools like slapt-get, swaret etc.

Gentoo has the best package manager (borrowed from BSD ) called portage with emerge as the frontend all packages / dependencies are resolved you can also search as to if a package by the name or task exists.

Gentoo 5 Slackware 1.5

So guys the facts are in front. You decide.

ujjwal

Padawan
Sure, all this does apply to Gentoo Stage 1, which is no doubt faster than slackware or anything else, but Stage 1 is source based, so installing it is extremely time consuming, as all packages do have to be compiled from their source code. Slackware manages to achieve speed despite being a non-source based distro.

If I did want a source based distro, I would choose LFS.

And yep, this all is purely my opinion, I think it would be crazy to say that one single distro is the best, different people will have different choices.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
pradeep_chauhan said:
Gentoo uses source and the entire build happens in front of you. You get to set the GCC options and tune the system to the fullest.
Last time i compiled Mozilla's deb-src, it took me around 2 hours on a PowerPC. I wonder in how much time i can get source packages (equivalent to 700MB CD) compiled and installed on that same system.

please note that ubuntu get's installed on that machine in 20 minutes flat.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
What system did you use? I have a p3 with 512MB and firefox compiled in 15mins flat. Yes you do have to wast computing power if you want the best. Any way be happy with what you feel comfortable with.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Its an Apple PowerBook, with 833 Mhz PowerPC. Mozilla version was 1.5.. I estimate a full gentoo system compilation would take a day or so... Anyways, i'm thinking of giving gentoo a hit sometime soon, as i got a new 120gb disk attached yesterday..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom