which, in ur opinion is the only prgramming language one nee

which, in ur opinion is the only prgramming language one needs to learn?

• perl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • php

• java

• c

• (v)/c++

• (v)/c#

• vb

• ada

• you are a fool. there are others :twisted:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

geekgod

Journeyman
after some browsing of the forums and a bit of outside research, i could come up with the names of these languages. i need to know which onelanguage is self sufficient, ie, mastery in which allows me to do any sort of programming project imaginable(i'm not interested in game programming). so guys, please please cast in ur votes with ur views. and if i missed any, highlit it with the reason why u use it.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Yes, PHP (Personal Home Page) is not a programming language as such.

But C++ (not VC++) is what you must know. But knowing only C++ is not enough. You need to know a lot more.

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
thanx for ur responses guys.
actually i have no idea about any of the things i included in the polls :(
but i plan to have a LOT of ideas about at least one 8)
by the way, please mention which option u voted for, along with why u chose it.

technomodel

Journeyman
i know only c among these, so cant vote anything else :wink: .
by the way, i think most of programming stuffs can be done with C, if not in as easy or fast manner as vb, c++ or c#. dont know about web programming though.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
there is no end to learning, u need to know anything which is important.

knowledge is power

ujjwal

Padawan
I don't think one should start off with one language and stick to it ... in the beginning one should try out various ones to get a feel of programming and computers, and then choose one to continue ...

But if you are insistant on trying one, go for C++, it's compilers are plentiful and many are free ...

DKant

In the zone
All I've tried out r C++/VB/VC++. Getting :shock: by VC++ currently ;). VB is ok. Specially if u want to start off quickly with some simple programs. C++ is excellent and is a good combination of power and ease of use (relatively). VC++ is a "complicated beast" according to Mr.Yashwant Kanetkar :D. Don't know much about it myself. :? So...I can only vote safely for C++. :)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
C

Actually, my work involves a LOT of Java right now. But still, if there's only ONE prog. lang. anyone needs to know, its C. There's NOTHING, and absolutely nothing that cannot be done in C. Nothing's impossible with that damn language. Its just that it takes such a looooong time to do it, that we use the other languages. Heck, all the other languages are mostly precompiled functions and libraries that we borrow. :D Why sit and code a million lines in C while you can call a ShellExecute cmd in VC++ or a paint() method in Java :D :D But honestly, if you have enough patience and a long lifetime (read immortality) you can do just about anything with C :D

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
ok, can anyone tell me what is the difference between c & c++. also, though i know nothing about it, i heard c# and python are popular. how come no one is mentioning them?

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
geekgod said:
ok, can anyone tell me what is the difference between c & c++. also, though i know nothing about it, i heard c# and python are popular. how come no one is mentioning them?

What you're asking for would fill a forum's pages forever. :D Simply put though, C++ is kinda derived from C. C is a structured prog. lang. while C++ is Object Oriented. (Its the latest thing these days, OOP ;)) Other features include more libraries, improved I/O management, etc.
C# or C-Sharp is part of the new Microsoft Visual Studio.NET package and has more in common with Java than with C (others don't kick me please, its just my opinion :D) Python is another OO lang. similar in some ways to Java, but has great power, plus the ability to code more "extensions" in C/C++. Nobody mentioned them simply because the topic was about the ONE prog. lang. you HAD to know. :D C# and Python might make your work easier, but they're not Neo. :D

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
geekgod said:
i heard c# and python are popular. how come no one is mentioning them?

Man, i wanted to click on python also, but your poll is single-select-only... I've been involved in Python programming and i must say, its just so easy to write python and debug em...

netcracker

Journeyman
C++ is a good prog lang...but other languages are also must learn if you wana be a good prorammer.the more you know the beter it is

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Whoa, whoa, this isn't right. Its not what was your favorite language, but what is the ONE and the ONLY ONE programming language you need to learn. If you were told tomorrow that you can become an expert in that language but you can choose only ONE, what would you choose? I think that drops stuff like VB completely out of the list. True, they have their uses (very good ones too at that) but I still think there's nothing that you can't pull with C. Its like the Swiss Army knife of progging. It just takes a helluva long time (read eternity) to create your own functions and libraries. I vote C. Oh wait, I've already voted. :D Mea culpa. :D

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
i found the following url on the net.
*www.visionengineer.com/comp/c_language.shtml
from this link it appears that whatever can be done with c can also be done with c++. the only advantage of the former is that it more 'machine-oriented'. what is meant by this ? also, if writing codes in c++ is easier and more readable than c, why does everyone prefer c over c++?
@gnurag
Man, i wanted to click on python also, but your poll is single-select-only... I've been involved in Python programming and i must say, its just so easy to write python and debug em...

does it mean that u prefer c over python

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom