which firewall is the best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
i m using the sygate personal firewall but still i find that some nasty applications do find their way in.inspite of using nav 04,ad aware se,spyubot SAD anf sysmech.

which cud b the best firewall?

presently using IE 6.0 and soon migrating to mozilla firefox !

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
applications like adware and spyware make their way into the system thru the browser...the firewall cant stop those applications from coming into ur system because u have allowed the browser to communicate with the internet...yes, the softwares u mentioned can stop them from loading in ur pc to a certain extent, but not always.....but u can stop these programs from accessing the internet using the firewall [atleast this is to the best of my knowledge(heard this from some another source) ofcourse i cud be wrong(someone please correct me if so)] :)
and u can stop many of these programs from installing in the first place using programs like javacool software's spywareblaster and spywareguard. use a combination of Spybot SnD(1.3) and Spywareblaster and keep updating.

as far as firewalls r concerned, ZoneAlarm is the best according to popular opinion (i'm also usin it and its doing a fine job for me).
but u can try other firewall softwares like blackice and tinyfirewall personal which i heard r also good.

sohummisra

Broken In
yup zone-alarm is probably the best although you'll get annoyed at the number of programs that are trying to access the net! it also slows (my) computer down quite a bit, if you don't have lots of RAM. but its the best in my opinion. can get it from zonelabs.com

theraven

Technomancer
actually firewalls block certain ports which specific *ware/viruses use
hence preventing an attack
and again im not sure either .. so waiting for confirmation ;)
and i agree ... its zone alarm for me !

mahidhar

Broken In
Go to the following site and find out how good your firewall is.

Symantec Security Check

You can even post your results and we'll know whose firewall is best.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
here r my results....not bad....check em out

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/sreevirus/securscan.jpg
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/sreevirus/stats.jpg

walking-techie

Journeyman
zone alarm is the best .. but it eats up a lot of resources

u can opt for other options like

tiny firewall
sygate firewall
norton internet security

OP
mariner

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
well guys this is te result fm symantec

Your Results:
Port Description Status

ICMP Ping Ping. Ping is a network troubleshooting utility. It asks your computer to acknowledge its existence. If your computer responds positively to a ping, hackers are more likely to target your computer. :STEALTH

21 FTP (File Transfer Protocol). FTP is used to transfer files between your computer and other computers. Port 21 should be open only if you're running an FTP server.:OPEN

22 SSH. TCP connections to this port might indicate a search for SSH, which has a few exploitable features. SSH is a secure replacement for Telnet. The most common uses of SSH are to securely login and copy files from a server.:STEALTH

23 Telnet. Telnet can be used to log into your computer from a terminal anywhere in the world. This port should be open only if you're running a Telnet server. :OPEN

25 SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol). A protocol for host-to-host mail transport. This port should be open only if you're running a mail server.:STEALTH

79 Finger. Finger is an Internet utility that allows someone to obtain information about you, including your full name, logon status, and other profile information. :STEALTH

80 HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol). HTTP is used to transfer Web pages over the Internet. Port 80 should be open only if you're running a Web server. :OPEN

110 POP3 (Post Office Protocol). Internet mail servers and mail filter applications use this port. This port should be open only if you're running a mail server. :STEALTH

113 Ident / Authentication. This service is required by some mail, news, or relay chat servers to allow access. A stealth result on this port could cause performance problems.:STEALTH

119 NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol). A service used by News servers to distribute Usenet articles to newsreader applications and between other servers.:STEALTH

135 Location service (loc-srv). This port is used to direct RPC (Remote Procedure Calls) services to the appropriate dynamically mapped ports. Hackers can use this to determine which port is used by several Windows services. This port should not be visible from the Internet.:STEALTH

139 NetBIOS. NetBIOS is used for Windows File & Print sharing. If port 139 is open, your computer is open to sharing files over the Internet. Other components of NetBIOS can expose your computer name, workgroup, user name, and other information. To learn more about preventing connections to your NetBIOS ports, see: NetBIOS Information and Configuration Instructions :STEALTH

143 IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). IMAP is a sophisticated protocol for electronic mail delivery. This port should be open only if you're running an IMAP server. :STEALTH

443 HTTP over TLS/SSL. A protocol for providing secure HTTP communication. It should be open only if you're running a Web server. :STEALTH

445 Windows NT / 2000 SMB. A standard used to exchange Server Message Blocks, and can be exploited in multiple ways, including gaining your passwords. :STEALTH

1080 SOCKS. This protocol allows computers access to the Internet through a firewall. It is used when one IP address is shared among several computers. Generally this protocol only allows access out to the Internet. However, it is frequently configured incorrectly to allow hackers to pass traffic inwards through the firewall.:STEALTH

1723 PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol). This service is used for virtual private networking connections. :STEALTH

5000 UPnP (Universal Plug and Play). This service is used to communicate with any UPnP devices attached to your network.:STEALTH

5631 pcAnywhere. This port is used by Symantec pcAnywhere when in host mode. :STEALTH

so what do i do about items 21,23 and 80 ?

EinSTeiN

Broken In
But security : system resources .. which one will you choose?
I think todays sstem can handle the resources needen for zone alarm.
mine is just an amd 1800+ but zone alarm runs fine on it.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
I use Nortorn Firewall. I think it's cool. My other fav's are Sygate Personal Firewall .
..:: peace ::..
Jeba

aadipa

Padawan
also check ur firwalls at

*grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

check for common ports and messenger spam

do put ur results here

anusoni

Broken In
i just tested myself using the link aadipa gave, and i am glad to say my computer is suppose to be a real stealth machine according to that link !
:) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom