Which DVD Combo Drive ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreams

Gracias Senor
hi guys..

I wish 2 buy a CD Writer.. i also bought Digit Mag and got some DVD's and i need a DVD Rom 2 Read it.. My frnds around in here hv told tht thr is a Combo drive which can read DVD, CD and also Burn a CD.

But iam in a confused mind for which brand 2 go.. I always think of buyin Sony CD Writers but when comin 2 Combo which brand is the best.. also giv me the price.. I am frm Chennai and would b glad if can giv Chennai Market Price..

Thnx in adv..

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
It's better that u buy a DVD rom and CD writer seperately. There may be problem with lens later on and it's better to have two ROMs instead of one and it costs a 200-300rs more....
See:
DVD Rom drive = rs. 1400
CD writer = rs. 1250
Total = 2700rs. or so
Combo drive = Rs. 2500

For CD writer , get Lite-On 52327S or 5238S or Sony CD writer.
For DVD ROM get Lite-On 165/166
For Combo (in case u want only this) get Lite-On 5232K

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Do what drgrudge says.
For both drives choose from Asus, Sony, Liteon and BenQ.
Avoid Samsung at all costs even if the dealer tells you that is is the bestselling.

What's your budget? If you don't mind parting with 5K approx, get a DVD Burner (pref. Pioneer). DVD-R's are finally falling below Rs. 25 per pop.

Kannan

In the zone
Yes drgrudge is correct.

Combo drives have lot of problems. I have seen my friends suffering from the failures and they had to walk to and fro to the seller.

Ultimately most of the friends who had combo drive switched to separate drives.

OP
dreams

dreams

Gracias Senor
k guys now iam clear not 2 go for a Combo Drive. My Budget is <3K. I now hv a Samsung CD-ROM. But i surely need a CD Writer and i opt for SONY In this case. Is it apt 2 buy a DVD ROM or DVD Writer. and also which brand 2 go. This brand is very important. Will thr b a prob when i hv 3 Drives. CD-ROM, Writer and DVD ROM or Writer.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Since your budget is less than 3K, a DVD Writer is out of the question. Your choice of Sony for a CD Writer is good enough. Buy a DVD-ROM from Sony, Asus, Liteon or BenQ. Both the CD-Writer and the DVD-ROM will fit comfortably in your budget. Since you will now have both a CD-Writer and a DVD drive, you don't need your CD-ROM drive so just sell it. 3 drives in one PC is a waste of money.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Ok so many ppl r goin for so many various models of drives....
well according to my personal experience.... dreams dude, 8) :)
u can buy :
SONY DVD ROM 16x (model:DDU 1622)---->to browse the DVDs
PRICE(approx.) Rs.1800/- (Rs. 150 +/-)

:!: Samsung DVD ROMs give tray problems in the long run .....

for CD WRITERS, go for SAMSUNG as they hv gr8 performance... u can also check out SONY CD-R...

I personally hv a ---->
SAMSUNG CD WRITER (52-24-52),
SONY DVD ROM (16x,model DDU 1622) ,and a
SAMSUNG CD ROM (52x)

dreams wrote:
k guys now iam clear not 2 go for a Combo Drive. My Budget is <3K. I now hv a Samsung CD-ROM. But i surely need a CD Writer and i opt for SONY In this case. Is it apt 2 buy a DVD ROM or DVD Writer. and also which brand 2 go. This brand is very important. Will thr b a prob when i hv 3 Drives. CD-ROM, Writer and DVD ROM or Writer.

U will not hv any problems connecting all 3 drives to ur HDD and ur mobo,if u r planning to hv 3 devices, jus connect the devices as follows (as suggested to me by my good 'ol friend kannan ,thanx dude :p:) )

HDD----------> PRIMARY MASTER
DVD ROM----> PRIMARY SLAVE
CD ROM------> SECONDARY MASTER
CD-R---------> SECONDARY SLAVE

thanx, cheers n peace.... :p:):p:)

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Don't confuse the poor guy. When everyone has already told him to stay away from Samsung, you're encouraging him to get it. Just because you have had a good experience with it dosen't make it a good choice. Most people think Samsung sucks when it comes to optical drives and rightly so.

Why should he connect a 3rd optical drive to his PC? Nothing good can ever come of connecting an optical drive on the same bus as a HDD. It will only degrade his HDD performance.

@dreams: Just buy a CD-writer and a DVD-ROM (both Sony). Sell your CD-ROM because both of your new drives will be able to read CD's.

OP
dreams

dreams

Gracias Senor
@drvarunmehta
As per ur sayin i will hv 2 go for a Sony CD-Writer and DVD-ROM. But some of my frnds hv told tht a CD Shuldnt be read in a Writer. Use the drives as per they r designed to. i.e., a Writer is used only to Write. Cos while readin a CD frm a Writer the lens gets weak it seems and it will worn out as soon as possible. But not sure abt this opinion. Wat u guys think..

And also my Samsung CD-Rom's Tray is not movin in and i hv 2 manually do it. Any remedies for tht???

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@drvarunmehta well i am not confusing dreams plz read my post OK!!
i only replied to his said querry in wich he asked this--->
dreams wrote:
Will thr b a prob when i hv 3 Drives. CD-ROM, Writer and DVD ROM or Writer.

so i am not at all confusing anybody or anyone here.he asked the querry and i replied it....thats it,Dude,jus chill a bit ok !!!

Just because you have had a good experience with it dosen't make it a good choice. Most people think Samsung sucks when it comes to optical drives and rightly so.
Well see SAMSUNG drives (CD ROM or CD-R) hv only tray problems for ur kind information,they rarely face problems reading a CD

And also my Samsung CD-Rom's Tray is not movin in and i hv 2 manually do it. Any remedies for tht???
dreams, buddy jus as i said earlier, the SAMSUNG drives hv alot of TRAY problems,the only remedy is that jus pra that ur tray gets repaired by itself :wink:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
dreams said:
But some of my frnds hv told tht a CD Shuldnt be read in a Writer. Use the drives as per they r designed to. i.e., a Writer is used only to Write. Cos while readin a CD frm a Writer the lens gets weak it seems and it will worn out as soon as possible. But not sure abt this opinion. Wat u guys think..
Nothing of this sort will happen. Go ahead and use ur CD in ur CD writer (read it).

dreams said:
Never keep the drive without a CD. Always keep a CD (blank or damaged CD or [transparent circular plastic without any coating] ) will do.
And see this thread:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16739&highlight=

OP
dreams

dreams

Gracias Senor
thnx guys.. keep it comin and all your suggestions are invited.. No one is gettin me confused..

Keep it goin..

..nJoy..

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
stay away from lg and samsung

sony dvd rom should be same as oem liteon

you may not go for both liteon as they might have their share of probs.

go for asus cd rw,confirm with others and liteon dvd

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
@ashu888ashu888: i tend to get carried away a bit sometimes

@dreams: nothing will happen to your writer if you use it for reading. i use a dvd writer for reading cd's all the time.
you have yourself said that you have a problem with your samsung drive. so it makes sense to sell it now when you still might get some money for it.

OP
dreams

dreams

Gracias Senor
I hv decided 2 go for Sony on Both versions ( CD-Writer & DVD-ROM).

Can u giv the market Price ( Chennai Price ) & which Config 2 buy...

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
This site gives prices of various peripherals in Chennai *business.vsnl.com/deltapage/

Sony 16x DVD-ROM Rs. 1625
Sony CD-Writer 52xWrite 32xRW 52xRead Rs.1350

z00m

Broken In
hm.. SONY dvd rom. rock solid, Been more than a year no probs.
even lite-on is good.friends have been using w/o any issues

Btw someone mentioned to stay away from lg and samsung.

I would highly recommend staying away from samsung.even i had tray problems. but LG nah. Using LG writer 52xfor the past 1.5 yrs. No probs whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom