Which DTH should I go for?

johnybravojr

Broken In
Hi,

I've been using the local cable all these years. With the launch of the Govt. cable services recently in my State, I am forced to go for DTH. I recently got a Toshiba LED TV, and after 2 months they gave me the coupon for the FREE Videocon D2H which comes bundled with the TV. It offers Rs. 400 worth of HD content FREE(which means one month free subscription to HD channels). However, the link gives 2 different offers to choose from. And there is an installation charge of Rs. 1,000 here.

The following channels are a must for me:
  1. Star Movies(HD preferable, but not compulsory)
  2. HBO
  3. WB
  4. Vijay
  5. Puthia Thalaimurai
  6. Adithya
  7. Sirippoli
  8. NDTV 24x7
  9. Times Now
  10. Movies Now
  11. Discovery(HD preferable, but not compulsory)
  12. NGC(HD preferable, but not compulsory)
  13. Animal Planet

I am considering to activate sports channels whenever necessary, like when there is a Cricket Tournament or Worldcup Football. All other channels are c&@p, so I don't need them.

Due to the fact that my list is quite short, I thought going for a A La Carte pack would be better. But I'm not sure if I am allowed to choose only the above channels or have a Base Pack and add A La Carte channels to it(which I don't like). And any amount of reading through their Terms & Conditions is not driving the message through into my brain. Please help me decide.

(P.S.- I've not zeroed in on Videocon yet. Just that I've got an offer. If its good, I'll go for it)

sakumar79

Technomancer
1. You have to choose a base pack and add channels or channel packs to it. It will be more economical to add channel packs than channels.
2. Note that activating Sports channels whenever necessary has a small problem - they require minimum 3 months subscription.

Below is a small comparison between Videocon options and Sun DTH option. In both cases, only SD (no HD) is considered and so, Movies Now is not included in the packages.

Videocon:
South Silver Pack - 125 pm + free Tamil add on for Sun TV group channels incl. Adhithya + 50 pm for English movies. - Animal Planet will not be there... Total 175 pm
South Gold Pack - 136 pm + same add on - Animal Planet is included - Total 186 pm

It may be better to go for South Silver Sports pack at 40 Rs extra you get all Star, Neo channels and Ten Sports. Ten Cricket is not included.

SUN DTH: 111 Basic Pack (May not include Sirippoli and Puthia Thalaimurai) + Eng. Movies Mega add on (40) + GK Pack (20) + Eng. News pack (15) - no NDTV Total 186 pm

Arun

ulysses

Broken In
1. You have to choose a base pack and add channels or channel packs to it. It will be more economical to add channel packs than channels.
2. Note that activating Sports channels whenever necessary has a small problem - they require minimum 3 months subscription.

Below is a small comparison between Videocon options and Sun DTH option. In both cases, only SD (no HD) is considered and so, Movies Now is not included in the packages.

Videocon:
South Silver Pack - 125 pm + free Tamil add on for Sun TV group channels incl. Adhithya + 50 pm for English movies. - Animal Planet will not be there... Total 175 pm
South Gold Pack - 136 pm + same add on - Animal Planet is included - Total 186 pm

It may be better to go for South Silver Sports pack at 40 Rs extra you get all Star, Neo channels and Ten Sports. Ten Cricket is not included.

Arun
Hi
I like your suggestion.

I have 4 TV's at home .( two 29" (one 8 year old Akai and latest slim LG 29" CRT)+two 21" (ten year old still going good)

Cable wallah gave originally 2+2 Extn -still paying @rs 300!!for all 4.:-D:))

but now I have to buy atleast one 32" LED/LCD with DTH

Iam thinking of videocon.(may get box worth rs1690 free with any LCD TV purchase) Installation Rs 1000 extra -iam not aware but will order online direct videocon site instead of local dealer and see.

I also want the same list of the original poster minus tamil chanels.

Infact I dont want any regional channels /news/ etc etc

Just movies + Info channels

with my cablewallah ,Currently National Geographic/animal planet/Discovery comes in telegu.I need in English.

Dont want sports also. Just HD movie pack:grin:

since we have to choose one basic pack may be south silver or gold with HD movies will do for me.

sujeet2555

In the zone
i am using reliance digital tv since it came out.quality of video and sound are very good.don't know about hd as i don't have hdtv.i have no complaint since i installed so i don't know about their customer care service.menu navigation is good but slow,frustrating.i use diamond pack wth some addon costing me rs 298.it include most channels english+hindi.
i don't know about other dths so i have no right to comment on them.

Top Bottom