which destro is well suited for study perpose .....mean learning a linux system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
Can someone tell me a good download manager with all utilities for ubuntu 8.10.
Please don't assign me Gwget , it is worst .

jxcess3891

Evil mind
In my opinion all linux distros r gud 4 learning. But check out gentoo:

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1rloqzmCP0&feature=PlayList&p=FCAC8809B2AA9E55&playnext=1&index=17

Its unbelievable! Vista is nothing compared to gentoo in visuals. just look @ what u can do with the windows.

anshad666

Broken In
Re: which distro is well suited for study purpose .....mean learning a linux system.

I am new to linux technology .Please someone describe me a distro which i need for learning this technology.Which distro is best for learning purpose?

my opinion is linux mint6.0..it is awesome nd enhancd user interface...also hav 3d window like aero in vista...restictd multimedia codecs are avalible and not need any effort to intall that..

OP
A

ambika

learnhardy
Re: which distro is well suited for study purpose .....mean learning a linux system.

system error .....as follows .....

"There was an error starting the GNOME setting daemon.
The setting daemon restarted too many times.
GNOME will still try to restart the setting daemon next time u log in ."

Please see the attachment and please tell me what is going wrong with my linux system .

What i did wrong ? PLease guide me to sort out this problem.

I am not able to open my other harddisk partition.

Help me guys.:cry:*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2835&stc=1&d=1236529222

Last edited:

vamsi360

Always confused
this thread goes on building.....
meanwhile have you learnt linux?
I think you would have learnt enough to answer some queries in other threads.
If you have got through basics read Sumithabha Das UNIX book and learn LINUX commands. That is definitely going to help you get through companies such as Yahoo!....thats true

vandit

In the zone
hello guys !! another linux amateur here.

what I like about all the distros is the awesome man page that comes bundled - solves my most probs.

also I would like to know what or how different is ubuntu from fedora and gentoo ?? I mean is there any difference in the commands or something like that ??

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hello guys !! another linux amateur here.

what I like about all the distros is the awesome man page that comes bundled - solves my most probs.

also I would like to know what or how different is ubuntu from fedora and gentoo ?? I mean is there any difference in the commands or something like that ??
Its basically how the packages are handled, the package manager etc. Also there maybe optimized builds of packages (like kde-mod for ArchLinux). Other than that all the distros come with the same Linux kernel, the standard set of utilities and the standard desktop environment. Distros like Gentoo, Arch give user the full control over system and hence it is the user who has to configure the system from almost zero level while distros like Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu configure most common things automatically when possible.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
As Infra said. The main differences are

* Complexity involved installing it
* How packages are installed
* Resources used.

vamsi360

Always confused
the shell remains the same in all the distros. All use the default shell as bash. So all the commands are same. I say the commands havent changed significantly from the UNIX time too but if you have a grip of UNIX commands you can handle linux very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom