Which book\resource should i read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmanya

Journeyman
Books are expensive. especially the ...For Dummies series.
Just go to a decent bookstore and ask around for books on programming(i would suggest start with something easy like python or basic), networking and whatever your other categories are. Flip through the book to see if you can easily understand it. Simple as that.

Nah, nothing @ school, just finished 12th guys, am not that old
:D
and i studied in dps, dharan.
Pathetic lab, a$$hole teachers. Never taught well, nothin more than logo, gwbasic, qbasic. as it was never evaluated in exams.
We were made to make excel files in 10th. Lol.
Anyway provide some viable solutions guys..
Books are the best way to learn, thats what i feel..

what the heck? who framed such useless syllabus:rolleyes:

Pathik

Google Bot
I did but I was disgusted that they wasted my 4 schooling years teaching me crap any half brained nitwit could learn in a day. So I used to shift to playing Wolf 3d and Dave instead of paying attention. :D

OP
bikdel

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
^^ thats what happend to me. The things taught were too easy even to arouse any curiosity amongst us.
Dave, wolf, lion king, bumpy, n some sega racing games came to rescue.
I never really felt that i had to atleast learn wat was taught. So dont know logo n basic. But thats damn easy n can b learnt in no time.
So what should i look for? Just some books frm nearby bookstore?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
^^ And they are of no use. Dont bother with LOGO and BASIC. If you want to start programming, start from VB or C. For books, get Teach Yourself Visual Basic 6 in 24 hours by SAMS publishers (I have this book), or Yashwant Kanetkar's Let Us C (I dont know how this one is, just that my friends use it)

OP
bikdel

bikdel

Alpha Geek Banned
^^ And they are of no use. Dont bother with LOGO and BASIC. If you want to start programming, start from VB or C. For books, get Teach Yourself Visual Basic 6 in 24 hours by SAMS publishers (I have this book), or Yashwant Kanetkar's Let Us C (I dont know how this one is, just that my friends use it)

these book do have a general intro to "what is programming" i suppose. Wil look out for them.
@pathik. . will definitely go tn thd site once i get access to pc when i get back home. :)

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Nope. I don't know any other book but I have seen KnR and LUC. After looking at KnR, I wouldn't ever again touch LUC.

Yeah, KnR is the one stop reference for C. Nothing can ever beat that.

I've used Yashwant Kanetkar and I personally prefer to stay away from his book.

+1, right said, one of the most useless books on C.

if knr is felt hard to follow by beginners one can go with this : Apress.Beginning.C.From.Novice.to.Professional.

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
Or Learn C in 21 days or 24 hours. I havent read the book personally but the SAMS series are always easy to follow, I have 4-5 books of theirs, including perl, javascript, visual basic and something else(?) and they are very helpful to beginners :)

Status
Not open for further replies.