which anti virus do you all recommand me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digen

Youngling
Indyan said:
diggy it is possible to detect viruses on in the AV's database using heuristic scanning.It can judge whether it is a virus or not from it's behaviour.And in that respect KAV and NOD32 are probably the best.However NOD32's overall detection isn't very good.
Dude very true,I know about heuristic scanning.It works on the probability,location,some assumptions & code behavior.But you seem to have lost me there,my only point to clarify was having real-time protection enabled cant totally assure you that a virus will be detected/removed.
Even as you've said having heuristic scanning will detect virus malicious activity even if its not in the database but what about false alarms dude? Also consider any AV product,consider the best or your fav if you want,can it detect every new virus based on heuristic scanning?The percentage of a new virus detected based on heuristic scanning is a very thin line between false alarms & detection failure.

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
digen said:
khattam_ said:
It does not let any ViRUS run because of its powerful Real-Time protection.

I would like to clarify on the above.No AV will detect & remove a virus if its a 0-day old.i.e if the virus fairly new & is not in the AV vendor's database how will it detect/remove even if you've enabled real-time protection ?
Same is the case with any AV product,so I hope you are not under the frame of mind that having real-time protection makes you ultra secure.

P.S:I'm not against NOD32 nor any AV product.In fact i've myself been using NOD32 for quite sometime now.
Oh i meant the virus in the database...................
BTW, it has a good heruestics scan (even on Real-Time scan) which could help to some extent. I havent seen this (on real-time scan) in other AVs

progistheway

Broken In
too bad u don't like AVG coz I've been usin it since it's earliest avatars and it has never let me down and is a verygood AV package overall. And it's extremely low on system hogging. I would suggest u go for AVG. Kaspersky ain't bad either but it does reduce system performance noticebly.

Dipen01

Youngling
progistheway said:
too bad u don't like AVG coz I've been usin it since it's earliest avatars and it has never let me down and is a verygood AV package overall. And it's extremely low on system hogging. I would suggest u go for AVG. Kaspersky ain't bad either but it does reduce system performance noticebly.

hey there..

Even i dont like.. AVG..coz its useless for me.. even though my database is fully updated still when some virus is detected it doesnt Heal it.. even doesnt delete it...
if this is not enough it even doenst allow to move it.. execute it.. so in that situation if i wanna heal that file.. i have to uninstall AVG..install (Kaspersky or Quickheal)... then it heals it..

thats my experience with AVG.. believe it or not.. even oldest virus is not healed by AVG.. it is the worst Antivirus i have ever seen..

Dipen

cyberator

Broken In
AVG's best.
earlier i used NAV but it made m sys 2o slow n my pc got infected by 2 quite old virus inspite regular updates. then i switched 2 AVG n i've not have any encounter with virus n i never feel like any AV is loaded in mem.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Used most of them suggest BitDefender, Avast or AVG, i that order. Try also NOD32. uses mnimal resources and fast !

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
*www.geocities.com/cyberdony2k/navauto.png
When it comes to AVs, you should certainly go for NAV, if you can afford. It is too good. With antispyware (in 2005), script blocking, IM security, Email Security and a lot of other features, you don't need programs such as MS-Antispyware and other Anti-Hijack and other un-necessary security related apps.

If you can manage to get Norton-Internet Security, it is great. It includes firewall and privacy services which help you a lot.

Everybody knows that Norton has the best Real-Time protection and if the same protects from installation of adwares and spywares, what more can you ask for.

However, Norton eats up a lot of resources, but still it is worth it. You should upgrade your RAM, if you have less RAM, just to use Norton. If you are buying Norton (you can get it illegally but at your own risk............. You have freeware alternatives......), you can certainly afford to buy a RAM chip.

With easy automatic LiveUpdate, you will be protected from most of the viruses. It will solve all the virus related problems. It can remove viruses that others can't (Some AVs find viruses but can't remove them because they are running now or because they are compressed. Norton has no problems with these).

With Norton WMI update, Norton will monitor the Security Status of your computer and add to the protection you already have with Norton.

If you are looking for more from Norton, you can go for Norton Systemworks which has the solution to most of the computer problems. It will keep your coputer up and running and most importantly, protected.........

You certainly have a lot of other options but why use AVs that don't protect you??
You can have the World's Best Security but a new Virus varient will do the job, if it gets to run on your machine. So I'm insisting on Norton. I know because I've tried a lot of products but Norton is my personel favourite.
So in spite of having a very less RAM (128Mb, thank god I have a Video card so I don't have to share my RAM for Video) on WinXP, I'm using Norton. It is running slower, but fine.

If you are not going for Norton, just because it is a resource hog, think again........ You should be able to buy a 128Mb RAM and install it on one of the empty slots on your mother board, for security.......

I'm writing this when Norton 2005 (with latest updates) is scanning my drives for viruses. I've recently done a full system scan with the help of ZoneAlarm Security Suite, Avast Pro, McAfee VirusScan Pro 9, Nod32, Microsoft Antispyware and AdAware SE with latest updates, for each and have made my computer virus and ads free. And Norton has found a virus.
Lets see..........
Oh, it is a adware threat in Opera Cache. Should not have done any damage but this could be any other dangerous viruses. And another good thing is that it did not show my installed softwares as Virus threats (Nod32, at least the older definition file, showed a file of Batch file Compiler and SDProtect EXE compresser as virus thread. Avast, too treated SDProtect as a virus threat. None of others did. Nod32 even showed DefragMnetors Premium's Shell extension DLL as a virus. So, Everytime, i right clicked and selected properties, the Real-Time Protector popped up.)

Norton is the best..........

VD17

Journeyman
yeah right... n then we'll discover flaws in it which can be "exploited by an hacker to run a code" of his choice.... lol
jk...

technovice

Broken In
I use McAfee AV...ive noticed a definite drop in performance ever since i replaced my nav with it!
So would advise you not to go for McAfee!

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
I have listed some AVs with their pros and cons. This might be helpful to many who are intending to buy or switch to an Antivirus Product. The list is in no particular order. The comments are truely learnt by experience and I don't, in any way, want to promote or demote a product. Use your own experience and common sense to make a decision. If you disagree to any of my comments or want to add more comments or any more AVs with their pros and cons, you are most welcome.
The products tested were with their latest versions and definition files. Most of the products obtained were illegaly used by me but for evaluation purposes only. Illegal use of softwares, specially AVs, is highly discouraged as good ones come for free.

Norton Antivirus 2005
---------------------
Pros:
Damn good real-time protection
Very good Database
Frequent Updates
Good virus Removal (Many AVs can't remove viruses even if they detect them)
Real-Time Internet Script Blocking
Adware and Spyware blocking and removal
Good value for money
Good Updating service

Cons:
Hogs System Resources
Takes considerably long time for Full Scan
Large Manual Update Files (about 6Mb)
Considerably Slows booting time of the computer

Nod32 Antivirus
---------------
Pros:
Too damn light on system
Very quick easy updates
Very quick scanning time
Heruistic Real-Time Scanning
Good Real time protection
Good virus removal

Cons:
Less reliability on detected objects
Heruistic scan shows many applications and application extensions as virus

Avast Home Edition (Pro is also very similar but with some extras)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros:
Light on system
Quick easy updates and upgrades
Good Real-Time Protection
Quick scanning

Cons:
Some detected threats are not viruses

McAfee Antivirus
----------------
Pros:
Considerably light on system
Very good real-time protection
Very good value for money
Good virus db

Cons:
Updating service is not too good

ZoneAlarm Security Suite
------------------------
Pros:
Too good internet security
Comes with a damn good firewall and everything you need for secure surfing
Easy AV update
Very easy to configure
Quick virus scanning

Cons:
Not very good real-time protection (does not let known virus run though but detects virus only when you directly deal with the virus eg. opening, copying etc.)
Not very good virus db
Upgrades are really difficult as you will have to download the whole setup to upgrade a minor version

QuickHeal
---------
Pros:
Good real-time protection

Cons:
Too damn resource hungry
Not very good value for money
Not very good virus database
Long scanning time

Kaspersky
---------
Pros: