When dvd inserted into the dvd drive,the dvd drive doesnot respond

sushan

Broken In
Hi,
Whenver i insert the whatever type of dvd/cd in to the dvd rom driver,the ;laptop doesnot read the dvd by the dvd rom and it does unresponsive for the long time and i have to shut down by pressing the power off button,what is the problem,

my config; laptop with window 7 intel dual core2duo cpu with 500 gn hdd and 2 gn of ram.

Thanks

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Are you sure you are not infected by any virus or anything?
do a scan using online Antivirus:
HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

also try using a cd or Dvd cleaner. Try running a cleanup using Ccleaner
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Only two things can be the problem in this case.
1. The disks, which are somehow unreadable on your laptop's DVD drive.
2. The drive, which can't read ANY disks.

This unresponsive behavior happens with me, with a few disks, but I don't have to shutdown the PC to get out of the problem. Usually, the unresponsive state disappears after I take the disk out of the drive, by pressing the Eject button.

OP
sushan

sushan

Broken In
@thetechfreak: No such virus as the pc is protected by Quick heal 2011.I am using Ccleaner since loong.

When dvd inserted,the pc goes unresponsive and takes long time to read the contents and the majority pc hangs and I have to restart the pc.

@vineet369:it is not so that dvd drive doesnto read the contents,it reads but when the dvd inserted the pc goes hangs and unresponsive for the long time.

cheers

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well I think the drive might be damaged. Try doing a system restore to a date before this started happening. Any hardware or major software change you made recently?

nims11

BIOS Terminator
happens with me with few disks, i just kill explorer.exe and everything becomes okay. if you have a Linux Live CD, boot from it and see if your drive is reading dvds properly or not. if it reads properly, then your Windows is having some problems/viruses or otherwise your drive/dvd is faulty.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Could you post a screen shot of the task manager where the processes are listed. I have suspicions of some process consuming 100% processor usage.
So please post a photo at the earliest :)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Used to happen with me when I pop in scratched CD/DVDs or unreadable disks in other words. Could be the same problem as vineet said above.

Top Bottom