When did you start your GEEK LIFE...

R2K

In the Zone
^^
On that computer our teacher used to make us learn typing. He would cover our hands+keyboard with a cloth..so we could not look down..!
:)

yea, those discs went corrupt really fast.

LOL.....learning to type on computers while i was a kid was nothing but a nightmare to me...:D
my teacher used to pinch on my ears yelling keep your eyes open while i was frantically searching for keys:D:D

abhidev

Human Spambot
1. How many of you have used the IBM Computer with DOS sitting on it?
don't know whether it was a IBM machine...but i started with DOS,lotus notes....and the first game i played on pc was none other than DAVE and pacman...:p

2. Which was the first Operating System (OS) you have used ?
DOS

R2K

In the Zone
The first computer game i ever played was Road rash
huh...it was a treat for my eyes and brain..in those days
Today kids are lucky enough to have their own pc even before they reach high school

abhidev

Human Spambot
The first computer game i ever played was Road rash
huh...it was a treat for my eyes and brain..in those days
Today kids are lucky enough to have their own pc even before they reach high school

seriously..........i got my first pc when i was FYJC......

jsjs

Journeyman
I remember first time seeing a pc in 1st grade in my school in year 2000, it had a monochrome monitor with win 98 and the teacher only allowed us to play dave on it

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Windows 3.11

then 95. then 98. then NT 3.51 and 4. got my computer which had ME. back to 98SE within 3 days. then 2000. again back to 98SE. then Arch Linux and XP. haven't used Vista for more than 30 minutes in my life. then Ubuntu. back to Arch. Now Arch, Snow Leopard and Win 7 - all three of them.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
haven't used Vista for more than 30 minutes in my life.

Lucky you. My office PC has it and how it has survived 2+ years without any reinstall and repair is still a mystery to me. Particularly after installing and uninstalling so much garbage over the years. And the system partition is just 20gb - system restore is on, hibernation is off and pagefile is on a deifferent partition.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Vista IS a stable version. The only drawback it had was speed, and annoyances like UAC.
But I am glad, since I am hearing rumor that our company will finally upgrade to Windows 7 directly from XP :-D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lucky you. My office PC has it and how it has survived 2+ years without any reinstall and repair is still a mystery to me. Particularly after installing and uninstalling so much garbage over the years. And the system partition is just 20gb - system restore is on, hibernation is off and pagefile is on a deifferent partition.
well..

the moment i use to see Vista's login screen:
*www.intelliadmin.com/images/Windows%20Vista%20Clear%20Main%20Login.jpg

and such wallpapers:
*1.bp.blogspot.com/_phVMFyhsQ0I/Sw9MDgPxICI/AAAAAAAAAIw/i0tK0semeQk/s1600/wallpaper+vista.jpg

I used to feel like vomiting. Windows 7 is very pleasant. :)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Never, I am not THAT old! :-D

Windows 98

I don't remember whether my first interaction with computers was in school learning Logo / playing DAVE, OR when I saw a monochrome display with white texts (DOS) on it at my big cousin's room!

But I consider the origin of my Geek life at my Mausi's Pen 3, Win 98 computer, on which I used to play "Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now" and do C++ programming later on.

I do remember the Floppy drives, in which I used to carry "files" and used to store it like it was the most precious thing in my life! And I remember the Autorun virus that was a nightmare with those disks! Counting in MB's was A LOT those days.

I also remember the Sundays for which I always used to look forward to, not because it was the holiday. But because, it was "Internet Day" for me. And I used to plan each and every thing the whole week, for whatever I wanted to do in that 1 or 2 hours in the Cyber Cafe! Like, the content which I would write in the mail, and whom to mail (cousins).
Well, this may sound extreme Geek nature, but I had drawn (by sketchpen) a diagram of a keyboard, and used to "practice" on it, so that I can type faster in front of the actual keyboard in cafe! :-D
Ah.. the good old days, of my childhood!

My first (and the one) "PERSONAL PC" was only when I reached college! That was/is Pen 4 with XP.

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
^^ Ya Cyber Cafe's used to charge a B0MB those days!! --- Rs 60 + per hour :-D :-D (On Dial-Up !!)

Good old days are gone... :sad:

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker

Don't remember whether it was IBM machine, but yes, it had DOS running on it. It was year 2000, when we were taught basic DOS commands, and all the fundamentals of computers in my school.
I still remember the Y2K problem which made me famous in my friends' circle because I had correct information on it. :p I still remember those days, when I used to watch those fascinating ads given by Intel for their Pentium III processors. I used to learn most of those things from national English newspapers and weekly magazines.

DOS (if you call it a real OS :shock: ) Before I got my hands on my PC, I used Windows 95, Windows 98 (& 98SE). Then I got my PC with Windows ME on it. Then moved on to Windows XP, Windows Vista (which forced me to get into the world of Linux, thanks to Digit).
There-after I learned many things with Linux. Used Windows 7 for a while. Switched back to Linux with Linux Mint 9.

These questions really made me nostalgic. :-o

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
Never, I am not THAT old! :-D

Windows 98

I don't remember whether my first interaction with computers was in school learning Logo / playing DAVE, OR when I saw a monochrome display with white texts (DOS) on it at my big cousin's room!

But I consider the origin of my Geek life at my Mausi's Pen 3, Win 98 computer, on which I used to play "Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now" and do C++ programming later on.

I do remember the Floppy drives, in which I used to carry "files" and used to store it like it was the most precious thing in my life! And I remember the Autorun virus that was a nightmare with those disks! Counting in MB's was A LOT those days.

I also remember the Sundays for which I always used to look forward to, not because it was the holiday. But because, it was "Internet Day" for me. And I used to plan each and every thing the whole week, for whatever I wanted to do in that 1 or 2 hours in the Cyber Cafe! Like, the content which I would write in the mail, and whom to mail (cousins).
Well, this may sound extreme Geek nature, but I had drawn (by sketchpen) a diagram of a keyboard, and used to "practice" on it, so that I can type faster in front of the actual keyboard in cafe! :-D
Ah.. the good old days, of my childhood!

My first (and the one) "PERSONAL PC" was only when I reached college! That was/is Pen 4 with XP.

LOL....intresting..
I also used to do the same while going to internet cafes in those days except for i used to make the list of cracks and stuff i must download in order to activate the softwares and games i get from Tech magazine cds:D
i even used to save webpages of thinkdigit forum into CDs and carry it home to view as reading it from there in that limited time was just out of question :D not to mention posting:D
Times have changed a lot....so am i :smile::-D

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
i even used to save webpages of thinkdigit forum into CDs and carry it home to view as reading it from there in that limited time was just out of question :D not to mention posting:D
Times have changed a lot....so am i :smile::-D

LOL. Ditto. I forgot to mention that! I too used to download AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, and then bring it back for offline viewing.

Damn! How can I describe that feeling, which I used to have, while watching a Yahoo Mail page offline, and wishing that clicking on a hyperlink would actually work! :-D
No man.. I just can't! Feeling Nostalgic! :-(

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
I don't Know why but i am not really proud of being a geek anymore)

The reason behind this may be the spread of technology, which was not there in the past. Now everyone is surrounded by so many technologies, we don't feel so much proud of being a Geek!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Or the reason may be loneliness.
Being a Geek is never easy. Girls try to stay away from Geek's since they prefer dumb terminals to delegate all their work too. :p
But they DO come to ask for help, when their's no other way! FTW!

jsjs

Journeyman
^we should be proud of being a geek

^^we should be proud of being a geek and getting girls is not that hard...my siggy :)

Top Bottom