whats up with our education system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

threeonethree

Journeyman
we are going through a 15 day training programme in our university on "computer hardware and networking" .. the teacher knew nothing about the latest technology in hardware. couldn't differentiate between a bios chip and the chipset on the motherboard. i felt cheated by attending the damn training.. but thats not what i am ranting about..

yesterday he was covering the topic "installing windows" . he had about 5 pirated copies of windows xp and msoffice on the table.. then he went on installing windows xp and when it prompted for the serial key, he put the pirated serial key in it infront on everybody (he showed it on the projector) .. he was giving a lecture on how to install and when he went to the license agreement screen, he just said you have to press f8 on this screen.. and didnt even bother to tell the people whats it all about or how important it is.. i think i was the only person in the class who got really pissed with this.. all other idiots wondered whats wrong with me when i was saying expletives to him behind his back :-s ...

i went to him and asked him "sir isnt this illegal" ? he just gave a sarcastic smile . he said that illegal to hai but india main chalta hai.. i wanted to slap him right there... i went out of the class with an excuse and came back after 30 mins ..

i think that if people want to pirate stuff then you cant stop them but teaching how to pirate in an educational institute is unacceptable! what are your ideas on the subject?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Send a mail to MS giving info about the institute and the guy's name. Just check whom to report on the Genuine MS Software page.

OP
T

threeonethree

Journeyman
give me a link where i can report my shitty university... they have like 500 installations of windows xp and i dont think all or any of them are genuine..

goobimama

 Macboy
Just file a proper written report without using slang and you will definitely get a positive response from the authorities. You could also contact Microsoft to help in this matter.

praka123

left this forum longback
better you advice your uni to move to Linux ?.
reg piracy ,there is no need to blood boil etc :p it is the norm in India.I think only few souls who got enough money to spend after having their hardwares *may* buy the license :) . there is no need to show disgust. :| why showing the poor teacher to so called M$ police? what is the need? culprit is the university.you can politely suggest them to move to GNU/Linux as it is also better for testing programs and lot of good IDE's comes with most recent distros(Fedora,Debian etc ).

yeah piracy is bad.but who can afford M$'s EULA?have you read it? :|

OP
T

threeonethree

Journeyman
my only cause for concern is that even though he installed a pirated copy , he never tought the students about the ms licensing. he could have installed a original copy, or told us about using an original copy. he is basically teaching students on how to pirate. i think piracy is a norm in india because of these practices. its bad to pirate for personal use but it cant get worse if you teach how to pirate in an university .

praka123

left this forum longback
why the uni not providing original window$ licenses? :confused: pretty confusing!most of the uni's here in south uses and supports GNU/Linux though.

OP
T

threeonethree

Journeyman
most of the people are ignorant about linux.rest think it has cli interface.some teachers have used RHEL.thats it. i try to tell people about it but then i look like a geek.

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
many univrstis use linux...this year i went to IIT kanpur and they that Linux in all there systems...ubuntu, redhat...all...even vanilla kernal..:D

chandru.in

In the zone
give me a link where i can report my shitty university... they have like 500 installations of windows xp and i dont think all or any of them are genuine..

First of all hats off for your efforts. BSA (Business Software Alliance) is the right organization to repost such miscreants.

*w3.bsa.org/india/report/

shashank_re

In the zone
I remember kinda same instance that happened to my family friend last year.Though its big story i will try tell it in short.
That guy used to run a graphics design institute in Hyderabad.It was quite big with around 20systems with Adobe Photoshop,3Ds Max etc.All of his softwares were pirated.
Even his close friend was in same business with his own graphic institute but this guy used everything original including windows XP.His institute was also big with AC and around 30 systems.
There was a small fight between these two friends which turned out very big.
It turned so severe that the guy with 30 systems calledup Adobe headquaters in USA(not sure) and reported about the guy using pirated photoshop etc.
Executives from adobe reached next day itself and fined that poor guy 12Lakhs :-(
And they gave him just 2 days to payup.
That poor chap had to sell his Ford Fiesta(Newone hardly used for 2 months!) and his wife's gold aswell :-( Still he could not accumulate 12lac and started asking each and everyone. Somehow he managed to get the money and gave it to them.
His condition was very very bad during those 2 days :-(

chandru.in

In the zone
^^ While it is a bit sad that your friend was affected by this, it is a solid proof for why piracy sucks.

It would be better world if all the institutes used legally free software rather than illegally pirating software.

such things are really bad. I think these people need to learn that piracy never helps. it looks like easy life, but its both risky and bad.

I used to use Pirated Windows once upon a time. Then I noticed that windows

(1) when pirated puts me in a legal risk, and

(2) Windows, even original sucks (when I used an original copy), and

(3) Digit, which told me about linux was wrong because linux WAS much more advanced than windows, and had many more features, unlike digit's advertising it as something that can get "most of the work done"

Linux was so good that just using it made me a geek. I mean, there I was, an average n00b who knew next to nothing about computers, and only played pirated games. Suddenly, I am now a person who has quit gaming and is a hardcore geek better than anyone else in my peer group. Why ? I got the linux experience.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I would encourage the OP to report to the BSA as suggested above. It would be good to covertly publicise the raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom